Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Does, body-hair, nail growth slow on a hypocaloric diet?

SteelWeaver

This is weird. I SWEAR my body hair and nails are growing faster since I started eating above maintenance again.

Does one's body slow down stuff like hair and nail growth when you're dieting? Wouldn't that be the weirdest thing, but it totally makes sense, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Of course it grows slower on hypocaloric. Hair and nail growth = nett protein deposition=anabolism. Hypocaloric states reduce anabolism!

Hm, so it totally DOES make sense. This is the same reason anorexics start looking grey and their skin goes all flaky, isn't it? .... And why I'm glowing like a pumpkin right now.

How come pre-comp. bodybuilders' skin doesn't look like crap?

It's amazing the stuff you just don't really think about until it happens.

It totally makes sense. At its base, a lower-calorie diet is self-imposed famine. You don't need hair and nails if you're going to die...

Some people lose hair and get very dry skin when they go on very low-fat diets. On the flip side, anorexics can get covered in downy hair. I guess that's to preserve body heat.

On a site, I saw that these are two more symptoms of anorexia: Skin Rash and Dry Skin. This will occur due to body dehydration.
Loss of Hair and Nail Quality. This is due to protein deficiencies associated with dramatic weight change and weight loss.

!
How come pre-comp. bodybuilders' skin doesn't look like crap?
My guess is pre comp bbs shouldn't be hypocaloric for too extended a period of time. And if they have any sense they won't have depleted their good fats very much. And by the time they get down to show time they are covered in 3 layers of protan -- you wouldn't be able to tell if they were pink with purple polka dots under all that stuff!

Top Bottom