Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you do specialty work for arms? Why or why not?

RottenWillow

Plat Hero
Platinum
I've flipped on this issue twice now since I started serious consistent training at the beginning of '03. I started out doing all the major compound movements, plus standing bicep curls and either nose breakers or close grip benches. I ran that routine for about 10 months.

At some point I cant recall anymore I decided that my stringbean arms (12.5", tremble!!) were perhaps getting overworked. I dropped all direct bicep and tricep work since I felt certain that would probably get enough stimulation to encourage hypertrophy from pulldowns, deads, regular benches and OHP.

That appeared to work for a while as evidenced by about a .25" bump in arm measurement without a corresponding fat gain. Then the gains stopped...again.

Then I added the tricep work back. Then I took it out again. Then I added bicep work again....

What do you ladies do? What's worked for you and what are your thoughts on the subject?

I'll tell you what I do, hun, but I'm nothing to use for a yardstick. I usually do three triceps exercises in a week -- skull crushers, kickbacks, and dumbell triceps extensions, and I do curls twice a week, alternating between preacher/db hammer/standing barbell.

I have a mixed body type, I'm thick in the torso and have long limbs, and I'm tall, it's nearly impossible for me to get chunky muscle in my arms and legs (on the other hand, I have very little trouble gaining size in my shoulders, pecs, back, etc.) A lot of the way we gain muscle, and how those muscles bunch and where the bellies are, has to do with our genetics. We can manipulate how things look through diet, but if you use a tape measure you'll drive yourself crazy, seriously.

musclemom said:
I'll tell you what I do, hun, but I'm nothing to use for a yardstick. I usually do three triceps exercises in a week -- skull crushers, kickbacks, and dumbell triceps extensions, and I do curls twice a week, alternating between preacher/db hammer/standing barbell.

Do you do your tri work on the same day as bench and OHP to maximize recovery time? Same with bis....same day as pulldowns?

How's your method working for you? Size/strength gains?

I happened to have a deep love of arm work because my biceps are probably the best responders to the training. I also happened to just enjoy training them. I'm one of those "anti-cheerleader" girls -- you know - the kind that was never cute or had a boyfriend to help move anythign that weighed more than 2 lbs. Therefore I took it the other direction and built up my arms & my strength & I get a private kick out of it when people ask me to flex. It kinda weirds my mom out a little, but I like it.

I've done all sorts of splits for arm training - back & bis, chest & tris / chest & bis & back & bis, bis & tris, whatever -- the things that got me the best results were doing ez bar curls in "21" fashion -- 7 from bottom to mid range, 7 from mid to top range & 7 full range. Also some seated incline DB curls got the final peaks going but I also have perpetual tendonitis as a result. I dont' know to what degree developign a "peak" is genetic, but its something I really like in my arms because it makes me different (and also can be used to distract from my also genetic-ungift ass & thighs....)

Another thought about triceps -- its just an observation, but I tend to hold water there, so if I didn't have some shape / muscle there, it would probably always look sort of squishy. Granted you can't' spot reduce, but at least having some shape there seems to help.

I break my training down to dedicated days for single bodyparts (except arms since I train both bis and tris together). I've mixed it up alot over the years, like Sassy69. I found for me the best mass gain has come in the form of incorporating major compound movements into my staple routines and then using the smaller movements to finish the day. I also go heavy. I like Mentzer principals. Stave off the plateau with different rep schemes. Try training to failure. And I'm not afraid to eat. I'll pack on some fat to get stronger and add some size. The fat can always come off later. So don't forget in order for there to be good muscle growth, you gotta feed the beast.

One easy example might be:

standing barbell curls
preacher curls
dumbell curls on the incline bench

Skull crushers (french press) with close grip benching
cable tricep push-down
overhead tricep extension

Don't always train bis first either. Swap it out.

Just a suggestion. Sometimes no matter what routine, etc. is used there's that sticky body part that just doesns't come up as fast. Just remember, though, eventually it's gotta grow if you train heavy, eat lots of good protein, and give it sufficient rest.

What's your typical rep range like? Try going slow and heavy for a while if you've been doing the opposite.

Sassy69 said:
I happened to have a deep love of arm work because my biceps are probably the best responders to the training. I also happened to just enjoy training them. I'm one of those "anti-cheerleader" girls -- you know - the kind that was never cute or had a boyfriend to help move anythign that weighed more than 2 lbs. Therefore I took it the other direction and built up my arms & my strength & I get a private kick out of it when people ask me to flex. It kinda weirds my mom out a little, but I like it.

I've done all sorts of splits for arm training - back & bis, chest & tris / chest & bis & back & bis, bis & tris, whatever -- the things that got me the best results were doing ez bar curls in "21" fashion -- 7 from bottom to mid range, 7 from mid to top range & 7 full range. Also some seated incline DB curls got the final peaks going but I also have perpetual tendonitis as a result. I dont' know to what degree developign a "peak" is genetic, but its something I really like in my arms because it makes me different (and also can be used to distract from my also genetic-ungift ass & thighs....)

Another thought about triceps -- its just an observation, but I tend to hold water there, so if I didn't have some shape / muscle there, it would probably always look sort of squishy. Granted you can't' spot reduce, but at least having some shape there seems to help.
Wow Sassy you took all the words right out of my mouth!!! I'm the same way!!! :heart: I kid you not that's hillarious... Even down to the the 7,7,7 thing!!! I kill my arms on that one, and the preacher curl.

I love arm work to especially when I am all lean and mean and the veins are popping out. Biceps I only do 2 exercises for Ez-curls and something else either hammer or concentration. For Ez’s which I do first I go pretty heavy only 6-8 reps 4 sets then the other one I will do moderate for 10-16 reps 4 sets. Triceps I do a bit more work on the they will normally get worked on chest. I will start with something heavy like close grip or JM’s or lock outs 6-8 reps 3 sets then do 2 lighter rolling db’s and cable press downs these I will go to failure on.

RottenWillow said:
Do you do your tri work on the same day as bench and OHP to maximize recovery time? Same with bis....same day as pulldowns?

How's your method working for you? Size/strength gains?
On benchpress/flye day I do the kickbacks and skullcrushers.

On pulldown day I do the DB overhead press.

I'll do biceps work when I'm not too sore to do it, I'll mix things together.

You know, it's funny the way I see gains is subtle ... it all sort of integrates. I have a rotten bench, but it's truly dreadful if I don't do deltoid and triceps work (plus, being over 40 I have the whole under the arm flag fear *sigh*) I do feel that biceps work helps my arms, generally, and I find it relaxing, if that makes sense. Besides, if I don't work my biceps I can't carry those big boxes of kitty litter :rolleyes:

I'd like to do compound movements and call it a day, but since I'm working from home I have some limitations.

I try other methods then I always come back to mine. And the thing is, I have a few things I do just because I like doing them and I realize everyone is working toward their own specific goal ... but taking some degree of pleasure in the pursuit of that goal is important, too, IMO.

I know alot of girls don't want any muscle shape in their arms (why, i have no idea) - but just like everything else over time -- skinnyfat or lack of muscle just becomes saggy fat over time. Age sucks but it's inevitable and I prefer to prepare for it & wear it well when it gets here.

A girl at the massage place I went yesterday said she thought I was 27. I love her.

Top Bottom