Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Diagnosis from the Orthopedist

Gladiola

Had an apt with an orthopedist this AM at the Sports Med Center. Diagnosis: hip flexor strain.

Reccomendation: take it easy. Give it a little more time till the pain goes away (6-8 weeks, maybe 12 total, it's been 4 or 5 already). When I start back, start back gradually. If I keep having problems, it's possible I just can't be an Olympic Lifter, but he doesn't necessarily think that's the case.

Took an X-ray of my hips, said they looked "perfect" poked around a bit, watched me walk, watched me squat. Commented that I was, "Flexible for a lifter". :rolleyes: That clearly demonstrates his knowledge of my sport (flexibility is VITAL).

At least I know nothing is seriously wrong. He also gave me some vioxx (anti-inflamatory) & said ice may help, but maybe not b/c hip flexors are so deep.

I've taken 5 weeks off from lower body strength training, but have done cardio & some upper body work. He said cardio is fine if it's not making me hurt.

I'm telling you, try out ART (Active Release Technique). My hip flexors have been screwed up for a while, but I was just living with it. I have discovered I don't have to live with the pain!! So far, I'm quite impressed with this therapy.

JJFigure - I'm definitely going to look into ART - well if it's not going to cost me an arm & a leg.

Gladiola, when you complete a move, do you lock your hips forward to finish the movement?
Nope. Actually I never really squatted before I taught bodypump (stop laughing!) and I had 3 entire 8-hour days worth of training to teach this class. Part of what they taught us was ways to cue your class full of people to correct their form - since you can't give one-on-one feedback. One instructor told us to tell them not to do the "Elvis Pelvis" - i.e. tipping hips forward at the top of the squat.

After a squat or clean I just stand naturally, neutral pelvis. I highly doubt it could be improper form - I'm nuts about strict form & my coach is even more particular about perfect technique.

Top Bottom