Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

this defies logic

emmab

as you may recall i am recovering from an eating disorder so am under a nutritionist who monitors my diet (all good) and weighs me regularly. she also has a bioimpedence machine for body composition analysis
i have been pretty weight steady for a year...i gained 2kg last march after starting weight training..also had inch loss in waist so that 2kg was attributed to muscle.
from march to dec i was give or take a pound, the same weight. from dec to jan all i changed was adding walking..would walk 2-5miles per day (at about 3.5miles per hour speed)
from dec to jan i suddenly gained 4kg..and the BIA machine says it is ALL FAT

how the heck can this be true..both the gain itself and that it is fat?!?!?! there is NO WAY i have eaten the calories needed to gain that much, and it has me totally baffled at how that jump can have happened, much less that it is all fat no muscle?!

BIA is the same technology that Tanita uses (paperweight technology).

I would highly suggest an old fashion skin fold test with calipers (by someone with experience in doing so) for a more accurate body fat measurement as a way to track your body fat. If you can find a place (colleges have these sometimes) that does Hydrostatic testing have that done.

I just want to add that there are a lot of possible reason why ones body fat could go up aside from "eating too much" and hormone imbalance is one of those things - something not uncommon with an ED.

Hang in there.

And get another test done!

Last edited:
The calipers are more consistent -- when you use differnet methods to measure bodyfat you can't assume they are measuring exactly the same thing and the results are just not comparable - so we assume one method is completely wrong or "NO WAY YOU ARE NOT THAT FAT", etc. -- its just a diff method.

Calipers are much less dependent on water fluctuations & things like that so just stick w/ that.

BI can vary based on hydration level, amount of food in belly, or hell, even what phase the moon is in. BI are so unreliable and useless.

Get soem calipers, or find someone good to caliper you on a monthly basis.

Top Bottom