Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

In defence of Smith Machine squats

And then I look at mine, and feel ever so more secure.

Realgains, you're an HITer. Congrats.

Alucard said:
And then there's what works better.

...and then I look down at my quads and remember an old saying:

"Some things are true whether YOU believe them or not."

Amazing how someone can presume to tell another what training will suit the other person best.

Post a pic then.

Last edited:
as a side note:

a recent poll in a bbing mag stated that the VAST majority of the pros do not free-bar squat at all....those that do use a Smith Machine.....personal opinions aside....do you think that it has hampered their development at all?

Cornholio said:
as a side note:

a recent poll in a bbing mag stated that the VAST majority of the pros do not free-bar squat at all....those that do use a Smith Machine.....personal opinions aside....do you think that it has hampered their development at all?

Good point. I think most give up free squats because they start to get out of proportion in the glutes and hips but not a few give them up because they can get huge legs without them due to great genetics and plenty of gear....squats are damn hard work to say the least.

RG:)

Okay, physiology turns off for some people, then. Got it.

And pro Bodybuilders are the perfect samples for statistical analysis without the possibility of confounding variables. Got that, too.

You're right.

Alucard said:
Okay, physiology turns off for some people, then. Got it.

And pro Bodybuilders are the perfect samples for statistical analysis without the possibility of confounding variables. Got that, too.

You're right.

They are very applicable as they have the largest quads/hams on the planet. Wouldn't it make sense that their training methodologies have a bit to do with that fact?

This isnt a question of physiology either - its a question of what works best for whom. A blanket statement is never true for all.

Last edited:
I'm glad this subject was brought up. I have long legs that make squatting difficult. I have been working on improving my squat for a long time now and really have not been able to make much progress. These are deep squats not the short rom ones.

Deadlifts are another thing, these are easy for me and I can lift much more than I ever could squat.

Even sldl much more wt than squats. I have been avoiding the smith due to all the reasons mentioned earlier.

So tomorrow I will try the smith and see how that goes.

I guess it really does pay to open ones mind every now and again-valerie

I apologize for the way I presented my opposing viewpoint. I could have taken a different approach to delivering the same message, and I should have.

This is what makes these boards useful; differing opinions and ideas. We all need to be able to discuss these subjects and be open to new ideas.

BTW-I used the smith for squats today. I was able to get deeper than on free squats. But did use less wt to get the feel of the smith. One odd thing-my left hand went numb. I usually use my traps to "shelf" the bar and forgot on the first two sets, maybe the bar on my neck caused something to cut the blood flow off.

Will try again on next squat day-valerie

valerie said:

Deadlifts are another thing, these are easy for me and I can lift much more than I ever could squat.

Even sldl much more wt than squats. I have been avoiding the smith due to all the reasons mentioned earlier.

if your legs are truly longer, a deadlift should be tougher for you, due to the proportion of torso and femur. if your legs are really long, your knees will shoot far forward when you reach down to the bar. the only way you are lifting more than you squat is if you are using way more of your lower back than you need to. speculation: your legs straighten a great deal as you pick up the bar and then the hips come forward. tall people tend to have trouble with traditional deadlifts and a deadlift becomes a 2 part movement as i described.

there are few people with disproportionately long femurs but for the most part people are just tall and have movement difficulties with learning the motion or some type of flexibility deficiency which keeps them from doing the movement correctly. so they exhaust all "possibilities" and go to the smith. if someone cant squat correctly free bar, a smith machine will just turn into a hack squat without a back support. the feet go forward, and viola, end of ankle flexibility or hip flexibility issue.

Top Bottom