Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

deadlift weight vs squat weight?, tricep vs bicep?

Tomer

i know its whatever works for each of us..but I was reading in a magazine that I should definitely be able to deadlift more than I squat.

Just like people tell me I should be able to put more weight on my tricep extensions than my bicep curl

right now this is what I'm doing

Biceps

3 sets x 8 reps (3 counts up 3 counts down) at 45-50 pounds
1 x 6 reps (3 counts up 3 counts down) at 55 pounds

Then I try and do a max set.. right now about 60 pounds ... so only about 3 reps... (until failure)

Triceps

with tricep extensions...the same counts as above, but I seem to only be able to do about 30 -35 pounds.. for about 8 reps

shouldn't I be able to do more weight on a tricep exercise ?

Squats

i do deep knee squats... I used to go only to 90 degrees, but now that I go all the way down I find them harder... and more beneficial ...it seems.

(same counts as above) try to do 8 reps but with 3 counts down, and maybe only 2 counts up

And I know this is bad... but I'm not exatly sure the weight of the bar... I think its about 40 -45pounds ( bad I know!!)

I increase my weight with each set..

1st set 120 pounds
2nd set 125 pounds
3rd set 130 pounds
4th set 135-140 pounds ( I usually only do 5-6 reps on the last one and am huffing and puffing afterwards)

Deadlifts

my max is MAYBE the same as my squats... shouldn't I be able to do more?

Thanks for your help! :heart:

eh. depends.. how long ya been going at it? much of that logic comes form the weight being in front of you, instead of across your shoulders. jus' keep plugging away. you'll be pleasantly suprised, soon enough....

I have been doing weights on and off for about 14 years... but it wasn't until about the last 2 years or so I have been training (but still on and off)

For the past year I have been pretty consistent

Is there anything else I could be doing to bring the triceps and deadlifts up to speed?
I have only been doing deadlifts for about a year

Tomer said:
I have been doing weights on and off for about 14 years... but it wasn't until about the last 2 years or so I have been training (but still on and off)

For the past year I have been pretty consistent

Is there anything else I could be doing to bring the triceps and deadlifts up to speed?
I have only been doing deadlifts for about a year
no. who cares? you do what you like to do. forget what others say. your stronger muscles will eventually become stronger than the smaller ones. your pull will catch up and pass your squat, if you're consistent with them. i wanted to get my say in before the cast from Grease/Womens Forum got in here.....

HT said things pretty well. I really don't care how much I can curl or do tricep press downs for as they fluff exercises done after the meat and potatoes. As my goals are not soley for strength anymore I try not to focus on the numbers I push/pull but rather what I see in the mirror. That being said if progressively over the years you don't see numbers on your lifts going up at least a bit IMO your doing something wrong. It is constant improvement on all fronts that keeps me going.

superqt4u2nv said:
HT said things pretty well. I really don't care how much I can curl or do tricep press downs for as they fluff exercises done after the meat and potatoes. As my goals are not soley for strength anymore I try not to focus on the numbers I push/pull but rather what I see in the mirror. That being said if progressively over the years you don't see numbers on your lifts going up at least a bit IMO your doing something wrong. It is constant improvement on all fronts that keeps me going.
in the end, it's all about you. you wanna be happy with yourself, which creates more of an impression than a physique. am i get too philosophical here? Tomer, keep working hard and good things will happen.

Like HT and others said.....its all about what YOU can do - nothing else matters

Deadlift and squat use a lot of similiar muscles, but there is a difference. Looking at the comparison to biceps and triceps, the hamstrings/glutes and lowerback are a lot larger than the tricep/bicep area.

It's not true that sqaut and deadlift strength should be the same or the deadlift should be more. In deadlifting, you have the bar in front of you and everybody has different levers and fulcrum points. I have long arms and a short torso so it is easy for me to bend down and pick the weight up with a straight back....but a person of longer legs, shorter arms and long torso would have a lot harder time picking up the same weight as I, even if they were a little stronger than I. It all comes down to natural leverage and using it in the exercise. It also comes down to what form you are using when lifting the weight.

All that being said, don't worry about the weight like the others said if you are trying to build your physique.

Something I preached to my wife when she began bodybuilding. Your muscles are dumb, they know nothing about weight. They know how to contract and relax. As long as they are being worked, the weight means nothing. Another friend used to preach this about bodybuilding. "Don't strive to bench 400lbs, strive to look like you can bench 400lbs".....

Top Bottom