Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Could somebody please help me?

PARKER-911

Hi everybody my name is Krystal and i'm new around here, I have an 11 month old son and even though my weight is the same as before I got pregnant my body has this new shape (really wierd :worried: ) I started working out about 2 years before I got pregnant, but I was the type that would be dedicated to working out for awhile and then slack off then get back into it and then slack off and so on and so on. I ate pretty good (i mean no fast food and always made sure i had protein and enough water, you know just the basics) and my body was very receptive to working out but I still never got the mid section I wanted (those little rolls seem to like it there :evil: ). So before I keep babling I was just wondering if anyone could help me with some tips to get lean and tone up. I'm 5'8 and 130 lbs and I was wondering if I only lift weights 2 times a week but do cardio at least 4 and eat right if I'll be able to see good results? I'm sorry to bother you guys but you all have so much more knowledge than I do with this stuff so any info I got would be really appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

:wavey: Welcome!! Check out the stickies at the top of this forum such as the "New? Start here!!"

Hi Krystal - welcome to EF & congrats on your baby!

Couple comments - diet is goign to be your number 1 tool. At your height & weight, I don't know anything about your bodyfat, but it sounds like mostly you want to "tone up" - I friggen hate that term because is sort of meaningless. What you want to do is increase your muscle mass & drop some bodyfat. In your case I'd lean more towards building muscle and would honestly probably suggest 4 days of lifting, 2 days of cardio and a tight diet. Cardio can be catabolic - i.e. it isnt' just bodyfat you may be droppign but also mucscle mass. If you don't have a lot of muscle mass in the first place then even a lean person can look more "skinny fat".

Take a look at the link Jen recommends - that will give you some things to read & lists some information that you can give to help us get a better idea of where you are & what is the best to get started.

Thanks to both of you guys! Sassy you are exactly right I need to build more muscle it's just hard for me to get to the gym 4 days a week, so what if I could do 3, do you think that would be sufficient? Also I LOVE the idea of 2 days of cardio, thats what seems to burn me out faster than anything. How long do you think I should do cardio on those days? Also here is some more info about me and what im going to be doing for my diet if you could please let me know what you think.

My bodyfat is right around 18-19%

My measurments are
Arms: 11 1/2 and 11 1/4
Hips: 33 3/4
Waist: 30
Quads: 20 1/2 and 20 1/4
Chest: 32 1/2
Shoulders: 37 1/2
Glute sweep: 36 3/4

My diet I got from one of the threads (thanks to Jen :)
Meal 1 ~8am
3 Egg Whites, 1 Whole Egg
1/2 cup Cream of Wheat (made w/water, cinnamon, splenda)

Meal 2 ~11am
Protein Shake or 1C cottage cheese and small piece of fruit

Meal 3 ~2pm
4oz lean meat (usually chicken, turkey, eye of round)
3oz red potato/yam
Fat Source (usually 1oz Almonds)

Meal 4* ~5pm
4oz lean meat
Green Veggie (unlimited)

Post workout
Protein Shake

Meal 6 ~9:30pm-ish
Repeat Meal 4 OR Protein Shake
Fat Source (usually 1tbsp Olive Oil or 1tbsp PB)

And last but not least Supplements
Glucorell 3x day
Levorex 3x day
Sesapure 3x day
Yohimburn before workout

Last edited:
PARKER-911 said:
Thanks to both of you guys! Sassy you are exactly right I need to build more muscle it's just hard for me to get to the gym 4 days a week, so what if I could do 3, do you think that would be sufficient? Also I LOVE the idea of 2 days of cardio, thats what seems to burn me out faster than anything. How long do you think I should do cardio on those days? Also here is some more info about me and what im going to be doing for my diet if you could please let me know what you think.

My bodyfat is right around 25%

My measurments are
Arms: 11 1/2 and 11 1/4
Hips: 33 3/4
Waist: 30
Quads: 20 1/2 and 20 1/4
Chest: 32 1/2
Shoulders: 37 1/2
Glute sweep: 36 3/4

My diet I got from one of the threads (thanks to Jen :)
Meal 1 ~8am
3 Egg Whites, 1 Whole Egg
1/2 cup Cream of Wheat (made w/water, cinnamon, splenda)

Meal 2 ~11am
Protein Shake or 1C cottage cheese and small piece of fruit

Meal 3 ~2pm
4oz lean meat (usually chicken, turkey, eye of round)
3oz red potato/yam
Fat Source (usually 1oz Almonds)

Meal 4* ~5pm
4oz lean meat
Green Veggie (unlimited)

Post workout
Protein Shake

Meal 6 ~9:30pm-ish
Repeat Meal 4 OR Protein Shake
Fat Source (usually 1tbsp Olive Oil or 1tbsp PB)

And last but not least Supplements
Glucorell 3x day
Levorex 3x day
Sesapure 3x day
Yohimburn before workout

Meal plan looks pretty good!! Have you input all that into a site such as www.fitday.com to see where your macros are??

A suggestion for a 3-day split for weights is Push/Pull/Legs and then add abs in there 1-2x a week......So the Push workout would be any type of presses, pull would be any pulling movements (rows, etc) then legs is well, legs.....That could possibly fit your schedule....

jenscats5 said:
Meal plan looks pretty good!! Have you input all that into a site such as www.fitday.com to see where your macros are??

A suggestion for a 3-day split for weights is Push/Pull/Legs and then add abs in there 1-2x a week......So the Push workout would be any type of presses, pull would be any pulling movements (rows, etc) then legs is well, legs.....That could possibly fit your schedule....

Yeah I put it in and without the protein shakes its:
Cal: 1207g
Fat: 29g
Protein: 100g
Also I had a little typo error my husband just informed me my bodyfat is between 18% and 19% :p
One more thing and I hate to bug you but could you give me a couple movements for the push and pull exercises? My husband told me some but I just feel like girls know what works for girls a little better than guys

The diet looks like a good place to start. Cals (but don't forget the protein shakes, else I'd say the cals are too low). You should have no problem changing your bodyfat % -- its a ratio of lean muscle mass to bodyfat - so you can drop the bodyfat measure by increasing your lean muscle mass. The bodyfat proportion just drops and even if it stays the same, more muscle mass tends to make the fat you do have look a lot better - its all about the body composition!

Training-wise - push / pull / legs could also be considered as:

back / biceps, e.g.
- lat pull downs or pull ups/chin ups
- a row of some sort (bent over dumbbells rows, cable row, machine row, barbell row)
- reverse pec dec
- dumbbell curls or hammer curls
- barbell curls
- high cable bicep curls
chest / triceps / shoulders, e.g.
- incline barbell press
- shoulder press
- incline DB flies
- cable tricep pressdown - rigid bar or rope
- overhead cable or DB tricep extension
- dumbbell tricep kickbacks
Legs, e.g.
- squat / lunges / step ups
- leg press
- leg extension
- deadlift - e.g. stiffleg, or good morning
- leg curl (seated or lying)
- reverse hyperextension
- calves

Split those out 3 days / week, give each group of muscles at least 1 day to recover. This split is also very close to what the Body For Life book does but it describes it as upper body / lower body / upper body. Calves could also be broken out onto a non-lifting day or w/ the upper body. Can fit in anywhere - mostly depends on if you tend to cramp up if you do calves along w/ the rest of leg day.

Generally women train the same as men - "what works better" - doesn't really matter - still lifting with attention to correct & tight form first, then lifting what you can safely lift as far as weights - dont' feel like because you're a girl you have to lift the pink weights. Your body has great strength potential and flappign around w/ the pink weights IMO is a waste of time. Part of it is conditioning so give it time to build strength, but it does come - don't cheat yourself! Also don't worry about "looking like a guy" from "heavy lifting" - women don't produce enough natural testosterone to look like a guy so unless you've been competition lifting for 20 yrs, you don't even remotely have to worry about it.

Thanks a lot Sassy thats really helpful info! I'm starting today so I'll keep you all posted :) I got everything I need except oh how long did you think I should do the cardio for on those 2 :) days

Top Bottom