Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

circuit training...

Nonerz

I am really enjoying lifting moderate to heavy these days...especially leg day, but I feel that my routine is getting...well, routine! I plan on training WSB style with bignate as soon as he's recovered and back in the gym, but until then, I'd like to mix it up a bit.

My dad, who has been lifting and training a number of high school athletes for years, tells me that I do too much cardio and should do a circuit and cut down on the cardio.

I usually do my weight training first, then 30 (sometimes 45+) minutes of cardio or the 1-hour kickboxing class (which I love!) 5-6 times a week. Since I have a love for food, I don't think the cardio is excessive but my dad said that if I do a circuit, my heart rate will stay up and that can act as my cardio too. I have a heart rate monitor so I can keep tabs on it if needed.

Do ya'll have any opinions on circuits? What about putting one or two in a week in addition to my current routine?

P.S. My goals are:

1/ reduce bf %
2/ get stronger
3/ look better naked :D

Personally, I don't agree with the idea of turning what is essentially a anaerobic activity (weight training) into a aerobic activity. When someone tells me that they're using circuit training as a form of aerobic activity, I'm thinkin' of some issues like: they're speeding through each exercise and not paying any mind to form. Sacrificing strength and LBM gains.

The beauty of weight training is that as you increase strength and LBM, you up your metabolism. And I see your goals as wanting to gain strength and LBM.

I think that due to your goals you are performing too much cardio. I would say that also, weight training 5-6 days a week is also detrimental to your goals. 3-4 days a week should be considered. As for cardio, try High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) instead. Sprints, jump rope for example. I sometimes perform HIIT on a row machine at the gym. 3 minutes "rounds", (1-minute rest in between) for 20-minutes.

I used to do tapes that amounted to circuit training (lift, then aerobics, lift then aerobics). It was great for a novice and it really helped my endurance. But I didn't start to get stronger or even much better at cardio until I focused on doing them separately.

HIIT on a row machine - I never even considered doing that - gonna have to try it.

Back to circuit training - I'm personally not a big fan, for the same reasons as Slinky. When weight training, I think you should be focused on moving some decent weight with strict form; once you use a weight light enough to do more than 8 reps, I think form starts to break down (for most people, not all).

That being said, I did try Vince Gironda's 8x8 workout for about 6 weeks before one comp. Basically, you do the same amount of exercises per bodypart you would normally do, but instead of 3-4 sets you do 8 sets of 8 with 15 second rest intervals. It really kicks your derriere! It's supposed to help you hypertrophy, but you get a cardio workout too. Problem is, you have to drop your weight to about 40% of normal, and it's easy to let form go out the window when you're training with that light of weight.

Personally, I feel the best way to drop bodyfat % is by manipulating your diet, not by adding more cardio. You really don't burn THAT many kcalories during cardio, especially if you're working at moderate intensity. You're better off cutting 200 kcals from your diet than doing 30 minutes of cardio, IMO. I say continue to lift heavy, drop the cardio to 3-4 30 minute sessions/week, and manipulate your diet.

thanks for the replies...

JJ--diet is the hardest part for me! I can workout till the cows come home, but the food part is really hard for me to stick to. I was brought up by a family that comes up with any and every excuse to have a BBQ! And boy can we eat!

slinky--I've been told by more than a couple people that I <<gulp>> overtrain. :( I can cut my cardio sessions down to 4 x wk. with 2 days of HIIT on "the monster" (also known as the Stepmill) and 2 days of kickboxing class. As for only 3-4 days of weight training...I honestly don't think I can do that! 5 days of weight training doesn't satisfy me...and I have to make an effort to take a day off. I've been in the 21-24% BF range for several months now, so I am not exactly as lean as I'd like to be....which is where JJ's advice comes into play...

I used to feel that I had to lift sooo often. I was addicted! Now I know why the gains werent coming. Am now training 3 , yes just 3 days a week. The gains? Yep I am at my biggest and leanest. I simply find other things to do. Nice outside walks, nothing hardcore aerobically, maybe flip a tire or two across a field.

The urge to lift more often is what keeps you stuck. FWIW-valerie

Top Bottom