Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

changes to training split...

circusgirl

I've noticed that when doing max effort bench, I can do 3 reps a 37.5kg but cannot do 1 at 40kg. And that lift hasn't improved.

My theory is, my form is not yet 100%, this is preventing me getting in a few higher 1-rep sets. This is also preventing me from really fatigueing (sp?) the chest muscles on bench day - my triceps get quite sore the next day but chest is fine. I'm thinking of changing to a more a pyramid structure for the moment - sets of 7 reps at 25kg, 5 at 30-35, 3 at 37.5, so that even though I am still working on form I will fatigue the muscles. I don't have this problem on ME squat/dl day. When I am more experienced re form, I will then revert back to the classic westside 3-rep sets plus 1 rep sets. Thoughts folks?

I will leave ME squat day as is as I am making ok progress there, same for DE days, both bench and squat. My core exercises (the back and abs stuff etc) are coming along nicely.

Why are you trying to max out? And do you do this at every workout? a 1rm max? Maxing out (single) rep doesnt necessarily mean you are working the muscle to total failure as you are trying to do, becuase most lifters use horrible form and cheat the weight up and call that their one rep max, and in the long run you are at a risk for injury if you keep maxing out. try different things if you are trying to increase your "max", try negatives, try pauses, vary your TUT (Time under tension) all these things will fatigure your chest without increasing your risk to injury like a 1rm does.

The maxing out is because I am doing a powerlfiting split. I'm following the 9-week basic training programme over on elitefitnesssystems, the Westside training site.

spatts said:
circusgirl, what are you doing for speed work? Are you seeing a carry over in accessory lifts?

I'm also doing a DE bench day - 3 different grips, 10 sets of 2. The secondary exercises are coming along nicely, core strength is going up gradually. The ME exercise is supposed to be a board press but right now I feel a bit self conscious about bringing large chunks of wood into the gym.I don't think the folks who run the place would be too keen on that, insurance etc. For box squatting I'm using the 2.5kg large plastic weights folks put on the olympic bar to do very light lifts at speed - these are the size of a 20kg plate but weigh 2.5kg. If no-one is using them, two or three of these make an excellent box to squat off. They are solid as they have to cope well with falling on the floor when the olympic lifters use them.

Where is the bar landing when it comes down?

Just below my boobs (on floating ribs). I keep my arms in by my side all the time. A guy at the gym told me I should have my elbows further out, but I think he meant to isolate the pectorals. I remember reading over on the PL board that keeping the elbows in reduces the trajectory of the bar. I keep the small of my back on the bench, I do drive with my legs (makes a BIG difference). I raise the bar to locked out position with the elbows. I always lift it out myself - if I can't do that, I sure won't be able to press it.

Where's your grip?

medium, just slightly wider than shoulder width.

Do you pause on the sternum, or stop before you hit it? [/B]

I don't hit my sternum - that looks sore! I stop just slightly above, don't rest the bar on it. Should I? I stop at the point where if I lower my arms any further, my shoulders are slightly further back than the chest, if you can picture it - the point where if you're doing flys they tell you not to go beyond to avoid rotator cuff injuries.

I do the sets of 3 reps starting with just the 20kg bar, then a set at 25, then a set at every 2.5kg point upwards, last time my last 3 set was 37.5 - the form on the last rep was shitty, bar waving round a bit, so I figured that wasn't really a set of 3, went for the 1 rep max at 40kg, with a spotter, needed a little help from the spotter to get it all the way up, and ditto the second time i went for that weight. I rest about 60 seconds in between sets. My chest just doesn't seem to be getting a workout at all (although the secondary exercises are working my triceps and shoulders nicely).

I am pretty sure my form is to blame here.

I don't have a video camera unfortunately :(. What I'll do next chest workout is a) reread all the advice on PL-style lifts, look up some on-line videos of correct form b) spend a large amount of time with just the bar at next workout practicing correct form nice and slowly. Instead of DE bench this week I'll spend 20 mins doing this. I should be able to get a look in the mirror to see what I'm doing exactly.

Thanks for offering to critique a video though. BTW I really appreciate all the help and advice I get from you people on here, it really makes a big difference.

It seems now my max bench = my max squat! Just joking, sort of. I decided to ask for some form advice on my squat today after I did box squats and found I was leaning WAY forward in my squat. One of the resident experts (lots of competing lifters use this gym, the uni has a very strong competitive Olympic lifting team) gave me some advice after I asked him for help on my form - first I had the bar WAY too far forward - I had taken tha advice about NOT having it too far back too much the other way. This made is easier to sit back.

Plus due to the forward lean my quads are no longer taking all the heat. However, I think once I ahd done several sets with just the bar with good form I reverted to leaning forward for psychological reasons (not used to "sitting down in mid air" and irrational fears about dropping the weight - the safey bars are there anyway), and so my squat looks more like a good morning squat or a front squat at the moment once any weight goes on there (bar weighs 20kg - maxed out at 40kg = 88lbs.... my bench 1 rep max...). This is definitely a form issue though. And I need to remember to push my knees out every time, something I had forgotten. He also stressed the importance of maintaining tension in the abs as well as the back - I have a habit of wussing out once down and waiting too long -> no squat, bar on safety bars.

The guy complimented me on working on form before weight, he said too many beginners want to rack up as much weight as possible.

Spotted the power-clean-bicep-curl guy someone described in a recent post today BTW - he must train in many gyms...

Anyway as luck would have it I have a spare broom handle at home, and plenty of plastic crates plus a long mirror. I can look at my form sideways on in my mirror at home (mirrors are facing the racks in the gym so you get front view only) and correct it that way. I won't be doing legs again until Monday so I will spend some time every day until then just working on not being afraid to lean back. Realised if I lean back the hamstrings and glutes get in on the act and it's much EASIER in fact.

I won't do any more heavy or dynamic squat day main exercises for a while (will continue doing the secondary exercises on the requisite days though) and instead focus on getting in lots of perfect form low weight squats until the form is good and I automatically slot into correct form. Then look at increasing the weight.

Top Bottom