Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio Timing Question

Peprika

This might be a silly question but I would really appreciate your thoughts! I've been wondering to myself for awhile now, cardio first or cardio after lifting weights? Does it make a difference? Is there a 'better way' to do it... or is it all just personal preference. And if so, what is your personal preference and why?

Thanks ^_^

This might be a silly question but I would really appreciate your thoughts! I've been wondering to myself for awhile now, cardio first or cardio after lifting weights? Does it make a difference? Is there a 'better way' to do it... or is it all just personal preference. And if so, what is your personal preference and why?

Thanks ^_^

There's no best method. The timing, length, and intensity of your CV training sessions would be determined by your personal fitness/body recomposition goals.

If your primary goal was muscle acquisition and your schedule didn't allow you a dedicated session for cardio, you'd probably want to do the weight lifting first since you'd simply have more energy, right? If fat loss were the primary goal you'd choose the reverse.

It's not uncommon for trainees to decide both types of training are very important to them so they separate the sessions by several hours and a few meals to provide time for restoration of their glycogen stores.

Thanks willow I appreciate it :)

I usually do weight lifting first and then finish with 20-30 minutes of cardio... but it definately feels like I'm too exhausted to really get into it. I really want all the benefits of the cardio so I'm going to try seperating my sessions like you mentioned.

Here is how I look at it. I have 100% to give. When I've given 100% then I have nothing left. If I give 70% to lifting weights then that leaves 30% for cardio or vice versa. So I usually pick what I want to concentrate the most and do it first, meaning I can usually give it the most intensity. (For me that is weights). The best would be to split it but time usually doesn't allow me to do that so it is 45 minutes of weights and 30 minutes of cardio four days a week and 1 or 2 days of just cardio.

Rebecca D

That's a really good way to look at it. I've been trying to completely split up my workouts but it's really hard to find the time to go twice in one day. :(

I do my cardio first thing in the morning. I do about 45-60 min. of HIIT then do my lifting later in the afternoon. If I combine them in one session, I wear out to fast. I keep my cardio in on my off days as well.

If your primary goal was muscle acquisition and your schedule didn't allow you a dedicated session for cardio, you'd probably want to do the weight lifting first since you'd simply have more energy, right? If fat loss were the primary goal you'd choose the reverse. WRONG

QUOTE]

I have to completely, 100% disagree. You ALWAYS want to do your cardio AFTER your weights, ESPECIALLY if your goal is to lose body fat. Hitting the weights hard before cardio depletes your body of glycogen, then you go straight to cardiovascular training and you immediatly tap into fat stores.

If you only do cardio, research shows, that it takes 15-20min of cardio (at or above your target heart rate, probably between 125-130) before you even begin to burn body fat.

Of course you could opt for 2 cardio sessions. First thing in the morning, on an empty stomach (besides some BCAAs), since your body is depleted of glycogen, then later in the day AFTER your weight training.

There is TONS of research on this, the VAST benefits of weight training for women and cardio (real weight training, not the 2lb pink dumbbells)

I always found that running was the hardest one for me... but it's also the best one for me when it comes to losing fat in the mid section.

These are what seem to burn the most calories for me in the gym(in order)

Running
Spin Class
Stair Climber
Eliptical
Walking
Stationary Bike

Rebecca D

Top Bottom