Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio Question

BrickGirl

Okay, I am referring to actual cardio for the heart and not for fat burning, could careless about fat burning. Question is, would jumping rope for lets say 10 minutes straight be better for the heart and endurance than jumping rope for 20 minutes, but every 1 minute take a break and then jumprope again for 1 minutes, back and forth? another thing, I don't know if I could even jumprope for 10 minutes straight :) Any thoughts? :)

I always find intervals to be harder than doing something straight through.

I suck so bad at jumping rope that I HAVE to do intervals, because I trip at least once every minute.

I think that if your heartrate is elevated into the heart-training zone (above 70% of max. heart rate) for a continuous total of 20 mins, you are fine, regardless of how you get there.

I wished I was better at jumping rope -- truth be told, I embarrass myself.

I was always taught intervals are far better for the heart conditioning as well as for endurance and building stamina over straight jumping even though at the time I was told this it seemed counter intuitive.

I'm also a total clutz, but I tend to do better with those bulky macaroni noodle necklace type jump ropes, than the "rope" ropes.

Although those do leave a nasty sting on your shins when you do trip up.

BG,

You're basically defining interval work, speed play or Farlek style training.

Yes you'll get an aerobic training effect and probably some anaerobic as well depending on the level of intensity involved in the work sets. You have a 1:1 work:relief interval set up. You would want to use a "working-relief" for rest meaning a low intensity mode of exercise in-between (walking), vs sitting down for one minute know as "rest-relief".

Adding this in once a week or so is fine, but working near La threshold for 30 - 45 min a couple of times a week would be advised as well for general CV training.

W6

Excellent, thank you all for the responses :) What I do now during the 1 minute "break" is lean against the wall with both arms and placing my head on the wall and gasping for air, will have to workup to the standing by myself, then possibly walking after that. Thanks! :)

Top Bottom