Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can a person make size and strength gains training 1x weekly?

RottenWillow

Plat Hero
Platinum
After a layoff of several months due to illness last year, I starting training again 11/30/06. I train only on Sat and Sun, and thus far have made strength gains every workout. I suspect though after the catch-up gains are made, and my levels are back to where they were pre-layoff, I'll plateau and stop making gains without a routine change of some sort.

I dont recall ever reading about anyone training for size and strength this infrequently, but due to my schedule it's about the only way I'll be able to do it. I'm wondering if I sufficiently increase intensity then wouldnt the relative infequency be appropriate?

Does anyone train this infrequently and make gains?

Last edited:
Once your muscle memory catches up - I dont think there will be any gains once per week for a lot of reasons....but the frequency will be the main one.

I hear you on the intensity......but every day is kidney day....meaning super high intensity on a whole body plan will take its toll on overall recoverability.

I would think *some* strength gains MIGHT be possible......

BUT

If you were on a high volume pre-layoff - you could get past where you were before as the lack of refeuence would allow for systemic recovery

The Shadow said:
Once your muscle memory catches up - I dont think there will be any gains once per week for a lot of reasons....but the frequency will be the main one.

I hear you on the intensity......but every day is kidney day....meaning super high intensity on a whole body plan will take its toll on overall recoverability.

I would think *some* strength gains MIGHT be possible......

BUT

If you were on a high volume pre-layoff - you could get past where you were before as the lack of refeuence would allow for systemic recovery

Refeuence? Is that a misspelling, or a new word for me?

If I understand your reference to "whole body plan" correctly, then you misunderstood. I dont hit the entire body on the same day. I do arms/back on Sat, then chest, delts, and legs on Sun.

So are you saying that nads to the wall every workout would continue to yield gains? I'm thinking if the intensity were sufficent to require 7 days of recovery, that approach would be productive. I actually prefer every workout to be ultimate intensity.

RottenWillow said:
Refeuence? Is that a misspelling, or a new word for me?

If I understand your reference to "whole body plan" correctly, then you misunderstood. I dont hit the entire body on the same day. I do arms/back on Sat, then chest, delts, and legs on Sun.

So are you saying that nads to the wall every workout would continue to yield gains? I'm thinking if the intensity were sufficent to require 7 days of recovery, that approach would be productive. I actually prefer every workout to be ultimate intensity.

Should have been "frequency"

Your title is a bit confusing......you asked if gains could be made training 1x(ONCE) per week on Sat/Sun(meaning either/or as opposed to Sat and Sun)

You mean training each bodypart ONCE per week on a two day split, then??

Are you doing arms and THEN back as you have it listed..and then Chest the next day??

There poses some sequencing problems I think.

The Shadow said:
Should have been "frequency"

Your title is a bit confusing......you asked if gains could be made training 1x(ONCE) per week on Sat/Sun(meaning either/or as opposed to Sat and Sun)

You mean training each bodypart ONCE per week on a two day split, then??

Are you doing arms and THEN back as you have it listed..and then Chest the next day??

There poses some sequencing problems I think.

yep. Training each bodypart 1x weekly. I figured any ambiguity would be cleared up in my first post where I state I train Sat/Sun.

That's the sequence. I rest about an hour between arms and back, and between chest and delts.

RottenWillow said:
yep. Training each bodypart 1x weekly. I figured any ambiguity would be cleared up in my first post where I state I train Sat/Sun.

That's the sequence. I rest about an hour between arms and back, and between chest and delts.

as far as the verbage goes ....it was simply unclear.

You listed 1x weekly in the thread title.

...and then Sat/Sun...not Sat AND Sun.

But you have clarified that so.....

Can I ask why you are training biceps before back?

Knowing that the bis are secondary movers along with forearms for back, they will quickly become the weak link in that chain....you can get around it with straps but they are a Band Aid.

If you are just getting in two days a week...especially back to back - a better sequence would be:

Day 1 - Chest/Back/delts

Day 2 - Legs/Tris/Bis

The Shadow said:
Can I ask why you are training biceps before back?

I've found I need to train them first when my focus is at it's highest.

So is it your opinion that I could continue to make size/strength gains training each bodypart weekly on a 2 day split, given sufficent intensity?

RottenWillow said:
I've found I need to train them first when my focus is at it's highest.

So is it your opinion that I could continue to make size/strength gains training each bodypart weekly on a 2 day split, given sufficent intensity?

I would have to see the layout......it would depend on what intensity factors you would be using:

1 - extended sets
2 - negatives
3 - rest pause
4 - tri/super/giant sets
5 - TUT
6 - POF

....and several others

I will say that your current sequence will eventually be the limiting factor in your gains.....how quickly that happens depends on the variables listed above.

The Shadow said:
I would have to see the layout......it would depend on what intensity factors you would be using:

1 - extended sets
2 - negatives
3 - rest pause
4 - tri/super/giant sets
5 - TUT
6 - POF

....and several others

I will say that your current sequence will eventually be the limiting factor in your gains.....how quickly that happens depends on the variables listed above.

The current sequence is a reflection of my priorities with respect to size/strength gains. Arms > Back, Everything > legs. Delts are higher priority than pecs, but I've found I need the very thorough warm up for my delts I get from training chest first.

I actually already do extended sets and rest/pause, which might be part of the reason why I'm making good gains now. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll review & maybe hit you up again for ideas to increase intensity when the gains stop.

RottenWillow said:
The current sequence is a reflection of my priorities with respect to size/strength gains. Arms > Back, Everything > legs. Delts are higher priority than pecs, but I've found I need the very thorough warm up for my delts I get from training chest first.

I actually already do extended sets and rest/pause, which might be part of the reason why I'm making good gains now. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll review & maybe hit you up again for ideas to increase intensity when the gains stop.

anytime

Top Bottom