Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

bodyfat testing errors

MsBeverlyHills

so I had my BF tested today w/calipers & it came out at 12.2% which i think is freakin ridiculous. the errror on calipers is pretty high so is that realistically more like 15%? and could dehydration also make it measure low?

Isn't the error rate +/- 3%??? Don't quote me on that tho.....

MsBeverlyHills said:
so I had my BF tested today w/calipers & it came out at 12.2% which i think is freakin ridiculous. the errror on calipers is pretty high so is that realistically more like 15%? and could dehydration also make it measure low?

You have to realize the error on a good set of calipers, with an experienced technician is about +- 1.5%.

Dehydration will affect it.

imo - if you want a trade secret......

....fins a place on the back of your hand or on your forearm.....take a caliper reading there ALONG with the other sites and record it.

Those areas arent as affected AS MUCH as others due to bloat or drhydration.

If your hands swell during that "time" - use the forearm - otherwise the back of the hand is gold

I have calipers and they state it's +/- 1.5%.
Some things you can do, which I'm sure you already know, is have the same person measure you every time and in the same spot, with the same exact set of calipers everytime, same time of day, with the same set of circumstances, (time of month matters, so does time of day ie: before/ after exercise.. etc, etc...) at least you will have a consistant guage of progress.

The Shadow said:
You have to realize the error on a good set of calipers, with an experienced technician is about +- 1.5%.

....fins a place on the back of your hand or on your forearm.....take a caliper reading there ALONG with the other sites and record it.

If your hands swell during that "time" - use the forearm - otherwise the back of the hand is gold

I'm learning all the time...

so - skin on my hands is pretty damn thin - you can see all the veins and stuff. Digital calipers say "2.0". Forearm is a "3.0".

Do I add it in a figure for 4 sites....?

The Shadow said:

Should this measurement be calculated in with the other readings? I will be having BF testing done again on Saturday (by someone not trying to sell a PT package) and will ask that this particular site be done also.

it can...depends on what scale they are using..

I typically use it as another GUIDE to the std pinches

Top Bottom