Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

arm strenthening--help a girl out!

Magda

I work on a computer. I type for my job doing medical reports. It is not like a lot of computer jobs where you get up to use the copy machine, take things to the boss, etc, I am wired in to two machines. Plus I get paid for how much I do...so you know how that goes. I am having pain in my forearms that is muscle pain, not nerve pain. What are the best exercises to do? My wrist measures 6" and the largest part of my forearm measures 10" I don't know if you need this info or not.

Do you have correct ergometric support for your wrists, arms, back, etc.? I'd be more worried about possible carpal tunnel problems than exercises.

Yes, I have good support. Just got a new chair about 2 months ago also. I have had nerve conduction studies and I don't have carpal tunnel and my ulnar nerve is good. One doctor thought it was perhaps from the brachial plexus (nearer the collar bone) mainly because I am very busty. I hope I never have to go through another nerve conduction study. The one that was the worst was your ulnar nerve when they stick that needle in.

The thing that bothers me when I was stupid and lost a lot of 'weight' not caring if it was fat or muscle (well, not thinking anyway) my arms got really small. Even my mother said I didn't have enough wrist to pinch off a biscuit. I want to have breast surgery but I married a Mexican and he wants to have 5 kids and there is absolutely no use in doing anything to your breasts if you still plan on having children so I will wait. I will probably have two. I told him I didn't care who he had the other three with. :)

Also, I wanted to add I have been doing medical transcription since 1989, which is too long and when I type a long time (here it is 9:33 in the morning and I have not even been to bed yet because I worked last night) I have pain that goes up in nerve distribution over my eyebrow, cheek and chin. This is always on the left side.

I had sever neck problems 2 years ago--I had no feeling in both hands--turns out I had fused vertebrae which pinched the nerves. I had the nerve studeies too which are certainly no day at the beach.

YOu can strengthen your grip and wrists by squeezing tennis balls or one of those grip springs that pistol shooters use, this will work your forearm as well. But the nerve pain could be linked to your neck. I'd certainly get it checked out.

Sounds like you've got tendonitis in your forearms. I play the piano and used to work in IT. I've got tendonitis and cervical problems.

As concert pianist, Maria Joao Pires said in an article, she milks goats to strengthen her grip and kneeds bread to relax the tendons. Good advice. Now since you probably don't own goats or have the time to kneed bread, get yourself some "PowerPutty".

You can get that from a physical therapist or massage school. Get one in "blue" which is the softest for relaxing your tendons, and one in "green" for strengthening. Do the exercises that come with them.

Also, try ice then heat. Stretch frequently.

Hope you feel better, Magda.

Sasha

Hmmm--

Is the pain in both forearms? Tendonitis springs to mind....Do you have any loss of feeling in the arms at all?
Disk compression is another thing.....
I had a breast reduction and according to my plastic surgeon I can still breastfeed...It was the best thing I ever did!! no more back and neck pain or gouges in my shoulders from straps!!

I'm wondering if some of the pain comes from the muscles cosatntly being used in teh same way and not being stretched...Try getting some wrist and hand stretching exercises from a PT....

I am thinking that too. I do strecth but I don't think it is enough. I used to have some numbness that also went with a pain in certain nerve distributions so this seems to be something different. There is a little burning too. I do like to make bread though but that powerpuddy might be a better bet now since I am going low carb tomorrow:D

The thing that scares me about breast surgery before having more children is that mine will need to be redone! When I became pregnant my brests were the first thing to grow. At my fifth month I had gained only 4 pounds and I swear to God it must have been in my breasts. THEN I gave birth and my milk came in. The nursing bras I was given looked like the little caps Rabbi's wear. I do feel it attributes greatly to my uncomfortableness. You know what? I'm not so bright either. It took me years to figure out why all the guys were excited when I got a good hit in softball. I usually always got a triple and they would congregate at the third base fence line and whoop and cheer when I ran the bases. I thought they were just enjoying the game.

Top Bottom