Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone have Obese/Overweight parents or grandparents?

spatts said:
Most of the women, and some of the men, in my family are overweight. Most of the women, and some of the men, do very little exercise and don't eat well. :idea:

Genetics? If you say so...

On a positive note, almost everyone in my family has the physique to be a great athlete, and my brothers and my brother's kids were/are phenomenal. One of my sisters has calves the size of my head, and has never worked out consistantly in her life, that I know of.

It's about attitude and lifestyle. Some are athletes, some are overweight, but both made that choice through their own decisions about how to live life. That choice could change tomorrow, and their lives could change tomorrow. That's not genetics.

Exactly my thoughts. Sans the head-sized calves.

This is something I have been thinking about. Seems like lots of obese and morbidly obese people think it is heredity that is causing their obesity. Of course there are body types and yes some folks are going to be easy keepers. I don't recall seeing that many morbidly obese people 30 years ago, there really weren't obese kids in school. So just where did they come from? The older people that are obese now probabley weren't that way in their 20's, but as food became easier to buy and cheaper as well as more processed, the fat piled on. What the next generation picked up on wasn't so much crummy genetics but poor nutrition and eating habits. These have then been passed on to the kids now. The ease of getting poor quality, highly processed foodstuffs is the fuel behind the epidemic of obesity. That coupled with the lack of any physical movement has compounded the problem. So those with the genetic template for gaining ( easy keepers) will become obese. Of course this can be totally avoided. That is where education comes in. If folks would just turn off the tube and actually think about what they are eating some things would be obvious. But most folks won't do that , they prefer to be victims! If all a person ever did was to look around them they would learn a lot. IF your family is obese then look at what they are eating. Are they active? Look at old photos, I think you would be surprised at how good your grandparents looked. We all have been the unwitting participants of a 30 yr experiment run by the food industry.

I would suspect that poor eating habits of pregnant mothers also contribute to easy fat gain, by increasing the tendency for insulin insensitivty. So to claim that it is genetic to be obese is false. Because by that claim then only the obese have been reproducing and we know that is not true. How many obese and morbidly obese were around 50 years ago? Did they just come from another planet? Of course not we devolped this ourselves. By believing that the foodstuffs produced by the industry are actually food. By consuming waaay more calories than we burn. By not taking the time and effort to actually learn about nutrition. By not be responsible for our choices. The sad thing is that the kids growing up now will be more obese much faster than anyone ever imagined. Totally preventable.

For sure lots of people won't be reed thin or even lean. Thats ok, it takes all types, certainly one can be heavy and fit. Its the morbid obesity that should be avoided.

I would take a guess and say that few folks have become morbidly obese by eating vegetables, lean proteins, complex carbs and essential fatty acids and leading an active life.

This is all conjecture on my part.--valerie

No one in my family is overweight, but it's more from what we eat (or don't eat) than from genetics. Being overweight is simply not permitted in my family (but that's a whole 'nother story). Any number of us have had our "fat periods" because we ate junk, weren't exercising, etc. but were quickly brought back into line, either by personal or family pressure.

One childhood memory really stands out - I'd invited a friend over for dinner, and she made the comment "Why does your family all eat like you're on a diet, when you don't need to?" Incidently she and her family were all overweight. We weren't starving by any means; our "diet" was pretty much the standard "clean diet" of a protein, fibrous carb, and starchy carb. And unlike most of today's families, all breakfasts and dinners were seated - no skipping meals or eating on the run.

Obesity/weight problems are probably not as "hereditary" as the behavior patterns that cause them.

A history professor once told me, "It's not that history repeats itself, it's that human behavior never changes."

"Why does your family all eat like you're on a diet, when you don't need to?"

So funny FitFossil!!! There is this secretary (fat) here at work that gives me that sh*t all the time: "I wish I were like YOU and could eat anything I want". Yeah right. I have been dying to answer: "NO honey, if I ate anything I wanted I would look like YOU!". She always says she wants to exercise but "just can't. weight lifting is for men and cardio gets me sweaty and it takes 1hr to put my make-up on". Life is rough.

Way back when I was a kid, my mom was into healthy eating before it was socially acceptable. We ate "brown bread" not white, she made us yogurt and healthy type goodies. We did not appreciate it at the time, we wanted the twinkies and soda pop. Looking I sure am glad she did, none of us are fat or unhealthy. We spent hours outdoors, no snacking on shit foods. I think back then parents just didnt have the unlimited funds that people do now to spend on junk. Going out to eat was a big deal.

I really can't recall any fat kids. Some may have been pudgy, but certainly not how the kids look today.

I agree its not the genes its the poor "food " choices. I sell sups and do nutritional counseling and am amazed at how few people know how to cook. No wonder the fast food joints get so much business. I learned the basics from my mom and from home ec in high school.

I guess people just pick up the bad habits from their parents and just pass them on to their kids.

I love to cook. I'm already teaching my kids how to use whole foods to make yummy stuff that gives them what they need to build healthy, strong bodies. I even make my own granola (that stuff that comes in the box is SO high in fat and carbs!...mine is low-fat, high-protein, and YUMMY). And I make hi-protein pasta with soy flour and water (which, amazingly enough, is pretty tasty, esp. if I flavor it with herbs and spices).

I did NOT learn this at home, but had to educate myself. Some people claim they don't have time to cook (and I do stay at home), but, e.g., the granola takes about forty minutes to make a weeks' worth of cereal. Anyone can find 40 minutes out of a week to ensure that they start every day with an easy, wholesome meal.

My kids, unlike many of their peers (and unlike their cousins), are strong and lean.

spatts said:
Obesity/weight problems are probably not as "hereditary" as the behavior patterns that cause them.

A history professor once told me, "It's not that history repeats itself, it's that human behavior never changes."

BINGO!

flexygrl said:
My dad keeps telling me to accept the fact that no matter what I do, I will be heavy. I am stuggling with my weight and diet everyday. I am so scared to have a child, because I feel that I will get heavy. I know I have control over what I eat, but I am so weak. My sister has a body type like me too. She is struggling. I'm thinking of joining weight watchers again. I just can't do this on my own. :(

OMG!

What a horrible thing to say to a child.

I'm sorry Flexy but your father should be ashamed of himself for saying such a thing to you.

Think about it - take what he says and change the factor that is "unattainable". Would you tell a child that they're butt ugly and they shouldn't even bother looking for mate b/c no one would love them anyway - just accept it. Or would you tell a child to not bother apply to colleges because they would be too stupid to get through anyway - just deal with it.

Velvett,

We have many fights about this. I keep telling him that I have a choice to either care about how I look or not. My aunt also said something similar. She complimented me on how great my legs look. I told her that I still had a long way to go and she said that when I'm 10 years older I will look back and wish I still looked the way I look now. All I was thinking was, GOD, I hope not. Anyway, I just ignore them now. I know what I have to do.

Top Bottom