Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone ever do crossfit stuff?

nefertiti

Memeber
Elite Moderator
I signed up for this crossfit boot camp in DC (after smurfy mentioned it a few months ago), and I'm thinking of joining the gym afterwards. Has anyone here had any experience with this? Opinions?

I don't think it's really appropriate for most of the people who use it. That being said, it's ok for what it's meant for.

Anthony Roberts said:
I don't think it's really appropriate for most of the people who use it. That being said, it's ok for what it's meant for.

You're gonna need to elaborate on that...

nefertiti said:
You're gonna need to elaborate on that...

I know many people who have used it. Basically what it comes down to is exercising/training the body as a whole entity rather than selective training the body broken down in individual muscle groups. You still follow a training routine but it is not as specialized as selectively targeting one muscle group at a time per bodybuilding standards. Think of it as overall core training, if you like that new age "core" slang that every PT and their Balleys wannabees harp about.

A lot of the training is through compound movements designed to strengthen the body as a whole. It is (supposingly) for overall physical improvement, not just for muscle hypertrophy or adding some weight to the bar powerlifter style. Mostly it is focusing on stimulating the entire CNS through training so the effort is synergestic for the body as a whole.

I see a lot of triathletes, firemen, and track jocks following it here in South Florida. I don't know exactly the principles the program advocates, but I see them doing some of the exercises. Mostly in groups of 3 -5 people each lead by a 'trainer'. But then again, I see some people with a log book (or whatever) doing it by themselves. I don't know if you can buy the program or if they have someone to evaluate them and write one out.

Lol

Reactions: AAP
AAP said:
I know many people who have used it. Basically what it comes down to is exercising/training the body as a whole entity rather than selective training the body broken down in individual muscle groups. You still follow a training routine but it is not as specialized as selectively targeting one muscle group at a time per bodybuilding standards. Think of it as overall core training, if you like that new age "core" slang that every PT and their Balleys wannabees harp about.

A lot of the training is through compound movements designed to strengthen the body as a whole. It is (supposingly) for overall physical improvement, not just for muscle hypertrophy or adding some weight to the bar powerlifter style. Mostly it is focusing on stimulating the entire central nervous system through training so the effort is synergestic for the body as a whole.

I see a lot of triathletes, firemen, and track jocks following it here in South Florida. I don't know exactly the principles the program advocates, but I see them doing some of the exercises. Mostly in groups of 3 -5 people each lead by a 'trainer'. But then again, I see some people with a log book (or whatever) doing it by themselves. I don't know if you can buy the program or if they have someone to evaluate them and write one out.

AAP said:

A lot of the training is through compound movements designed to strengthen the body as a whole. It is (supposingly) for overall physical improvement, not just for muscle hypertrophy or adding some weight to the bar powerlifter style. Mostly it is focusing on stimulating the entire central nervous system through training so the effort is synergestic for the body as a whole.

Well...I like the idea of functional athleticism. Stength combined with flexibility and agility. Things that would serve the lifestyle I like to lead. This fall I'll be teaching ballet and unfortunately lifting the way I have really doesn't lend itself to being a part time ballet teacher, at least not for the way my body wants to be when i do it. I guess I'll have to just see what the boot camp is like and take it from there.

nefertiti said:
Well...I like the idea of functional athleticism. Stength combined with flexibility and agility. Things that would serve the lifestyle I like to lead. This fall I'll be teaching ballet and unfortunately lifting the way I have really doesn't lend itself to being a part time ballet teacher, at least not for the way my body wants to be when i do it. I guess I'll have to just see what the boot camp is like and take it from there.
They have classes here as well. I guess many people are addicted to that training. Though I also know a lot of people who were injured by being pushed to do movements that they were not flexible, or strong enough to do, and others who keep going back although they complain to me of being super sore. It has a hint of boot camp style to it from what I hear, and there is a website as well with some of the routines they use.

I personally detest classes of almost any sort but I also think you never 'lose' by learning new & different ways to train.

I don't think crossfit really gets you in great shape for any one thing...it kind of gets you in mediocre shape for several, to my way of thinking.

Top Bottom