Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone ever do crossfit stuff?

nefertiti said:
I signed up for this crossfit boot camp in DC (after smurfy mentioned it a few months ago), and I'm thinking of joining the gym afterwards. Has anyone here had any experience with this? Opinions?

http://www.crossfit.com/

^ This sort of thing?

I've taken some rather unusual beach strength training classes before and they both had their own versions of "boot camp training" and plyometric training which I happen to enjoy.

I'm going top guess that we have similar backgrounds and being that you're teaching ballet I think alternative training to weight lifting can be a good thing.

Anthony Roberts said:
I don't think crossfit really gets you in great shape for any one thing...it kind of gets you in mediocre shape for several, to my way of thinking.

AR, I hate to disagree with you bro, but in this case I do. Here is why:

One would be in great shape (far from mediocre) after a few months of following crossfit.

You are correct that the point of crossfit is NOT to specialize in any ONE thing. For example, a crossfitter will not lift as heavy as a power lifter, will not be able to clean and jerk or snatch as much as a O-lifter, will not be as symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing as a body builder and will have a slower 10k time than a runner. So if you want to specialize, crossfitting isn't for you. If you want to be good at everything, then it is. That is why it is mostly use by police, fire and military. A fireman does not know if he is going to need a 10 second burst of power, 5 minutes anaerobic work or 20 minutes of cardio type work to get the job done at his next call. He must prepare for everything. A 1000lb squat is not going to help you carry 100lbs of equipment to the 15th floor of a high rise. It just isn't.

Good powerlifters can deadlift 700 lbs. but their 5k time would be embarrassing (if they can even run 5k). At 200lbs., a crossfitter should deadlift 500 and run 5k in about 20 minutes, 10k in 40 minutes, snatch his own body weight and do 40 pull-ups in a row. If you ask me, that is as impressive as the 700 lb. deadlift.

thebadguy54 said:
AR, I hate to disagree with you bro, but in this case I do. Here is why:

One would be in great shape (far from mediocre) after a few months of following crossfit.

You are correct that the point of crossfit is NOT to specialize in any ONE thing. For example, a crossfitter will not lift as heavy as a power lifter, will not be able to clean and jerk or snatch as much as a O-lifter, will not be as symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing as a body builder and will have a slower 10k time than a runner. So if you want to specialize, crossfitting isn't for you. If you want to be good at everything, then it is. That is why it is mostly use by police, fire and military. A fireman does not know if he is going to need a 10 second burst of power, 5 minutes anaerobic work or 20 minutes of cardio type work to get the job done at his next call. He must prepare for everything. A 1000lb squat is not going to help you carry 100lbs of equipment to the 15th floor of a high rise. It just isn't.

Good powerlifters can deadlift 700 lbs. but their 5k time would be embarrassing (if they can even run 5k). At 200lbs., a crossfitter should deadlift 500 and run 5k in about 20 minutes, 10k in 40 minutes, snatch his own body weight and do 40 pull-ups in a row. If you ask me, that is as impressive as the 700 lb. deadlift.

hit it on the head - most people who think that it's no good have never tried it before. it's about improving all around ability in everything......

he-man said:
hit it on the head - most people who think that it's no good have never tried it before. it's about improving all around ability in everything......

Agreed.

Something that many people who are "competition minded" seem to forget is that NOT EVERYONE wants to compete. They just want to be more physically fit and feel better all around, the "better looking part" is just a pleasant side effect (as I like to call it).

I have been training this way myself (without following anyone else's program just doing what I feel I want) for about the last year or so and though I can't accomplish any of the tasks listed to competition standards (nor do I want to at my age and station in life) I have a better physique than most women AND men half my age regardless of my health issues. <--- I think that speaks volumes.

I guess what I am trying to say is, "Don't knock it till you've tried it." :)

Crossfit gets you in awesome all around shape! Running, strong as an ox, crazy cardio shape because you heart rate is going to be near 100% during most of your workouts. It's great if you're a combatant, firefighter, cop, etc. It's not just for looking pumped up and not being able to run or swim, it's great for work related stuff, like clearing a compound full of fuck heads at 7000 ft elevation in Afghanistan.

tejfrog said:
Crossfit gets you in awesome all around shape! Running, strong as an ox, crazy cardio shape because you heart rate is going to be near 100% during most of your workouts. It's great if you're a combatant, firefighter, cop, etc. It's not just for looking pumped up and not being able to run or swim, it's great for work related stuff, like clearing a compound full of fuck heads at 7000 ft elevation in Afghanistan.

Yup.

there seems to be large categorizations being made about training in general in here. pertaining to crossfit, there is a "workout of the day" that you follow on the site. typically nicknamed after a girl. they are grueling workouts. they have pictures posted of members and videos of the workouts. some of the most amazing physiques, belong to crossfit members, especially the women. everyone could benefit from checking this site out. the idea that this type of training doesnt result in hypertrophy is ridiculous. compound movements are proven superior to isolation. you can combine more traditional strength training with their "WOD" for a great combo.

I teach it! AND, I love it. Most of the members in my class cannot keep up and it is not for the average person, but it does whip your butt into shape.

Top Bottom