Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any help with Diet for newbie would be appreciate.

Sounds like I should just toss out the old scale and maybe measure inches lost. My fiance has already lost a couple of pounds and me.....well, nothing :worried: But I am not discouraged easily...I actually think this is becoming my new addiction. I told myself that I would take last night off but after eating (baked chicken & tomatoe slices) I headed back to the gym and did just a little bit of carido. I am a little sore already and tonight I have an appointment with the personal trainer. Sure I'll be sore for the weekend. I have been everyday this week and will take a break over the weekend. I wish I could go in the morning but I just really don't have time. In the evenings I am rushing home to change and pick up my 14 year old son (he loves going) then I go work out. It is so hard for me to eat before I work out because I can't keep my son out late on school nights and he will eat something before I even get home. Is it real bad if I eat after my workout? When I do I try and make it something small. I will get a shake that they make at the gym or come home to a light salad or turkey sandwich on whole wheat. (turkey from the deli, not the prepackage stuff).

When you're trying to track progress, consider the following measures:

1) Do you feel better -- mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually -- exercise released endorphins, clean diet clears out shit that can bog down your body -- more energy, things are running cleaner & more efficiently, you sleep better, etc.

2) How do your clothes fit? Tighter? Looser? in different spots? Different? -- e.g. when I start dieting my jeans are baggy in the waist & tight in the quads. That's just showing you where teh squishy bodyfat is going away and the muscle is starting to show itself. You know how your clothes fit you and since the clothes size doesnt' change and its not a subjective thing - your favorite jeans are either tight or loose. If your "fat clothes" are getting looser, time to see how the "skinny clothes" fit. If stuff is still a bit tight, dont get discouraged but rather ENVISION how close you are and focus back on the gym.

3) Bodyfat measure -- 7 pt or higher bodyfat measure w/ calipers. The final number is not so important (because the number itself can make you freak out and additionally, manual skinfold measures are ballpark - they are inaccurate to a couple % bf), but the RELATIVE CHANGES between each week's (or whatever interval) measure gives you an idea of how your body composition (fat , muscle) is changing. But remember that it is just a data point - its not a live or die thing to reach 13% bf or whatever. Its just a measure in time.

4) The scale -- its still just a data point. It measures the combination of bone, bodyfat, muscle mass & water. The water is usualy the biggest fluctuatoin - very easy to see 3-10 lb swings durign "that time of the month", after a big carb load, whatever. So don't get hung up on the scale. If you can deal w/ the fact that its just a number and not a true reflection of your progress, then go ahead & use it. If not, don't even bother. The above measures are more important.

RE: eating before the gym -- if its been more than 2 hrs since the last time you ate, I'd say yes, EAT! If I don't I start to get that cold sweat that washes over you when you are experiencing low blood sugar. no thanks on that. Have a shake ready to go or whatever. When I go to work I pack a soft side cooler full of EVERYTHING I need for the day - w/ Atlanta traffic you NEVER know when you're going to get stuck some place so I'm always ready. To that end its really easy to plan ahead and have stuff with you. Lots of the girls & guys on EF use a pre & post workout shake, or even mix protein powder w/ Gatorade for DURING workout.

It doesn't look like anyone's mentioned Body for Life yet. It is a book by Bill Phillips and sets out the basic fit lifestyle, including resistance training, cardio and DIET. Easy to follow and a great place to start.

I'm sure you've already picked this out of the posts you're reading, but basically:

5-6 small meals (fuelings) per day, each to include balance of nutrients including protein, eg.

chicken & baked potato
steak & broccoli
cottage cheese & mixed berries
egg white omelet & toast

and many many more combinations of protein and complex or simple carb. Make sure you're getting some good fats - fish oil, flax oil, nuts.

I really love this formum. Never posted in any before. Everyone here seems super nice and eager to help anyone.....it has been very much appreciated. I will be looking in everyday for new tips, recipes and advice. I just printed out alot of the recipes that is listed on the other formum. Doesn't look like I will have to get sick of bake chicken after all :)

As usual, great info ladies (and gents!!)

My #1 tip would be to THROW AWAY THE SCALE - Or at least hide it. Focus on how your clothes fit, and get comfortable looking at yourself naked in the mirror.

I didn't see anyone mention water yet either - Drink lots of it :)

Top Bottom