Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Abs????

fmorrow6

Okay, I guess I HAVE to tell yall how fat I am befor I ask my question. Here Goes.......

I'm 23 w/ 2 kids (3yrs and 1Yr.)
5'10" 192lbs
I have a med./large frame (bone structure) YES I'm Big boned and FAT!
(Started at 215 and 29%bf on 1/12/2005)
Bf 3 weeks ago was 19.7% (had trainer triple check it, that was the average, a 7 point caliper whatever.)
So, I have a good amount of muscle, due to me being very heavy into sports and lifting in high school, right b4 I got preggo, Completed Air Force basic Training, blah blah blah.... I know what my body CAN look like, and that's what I'm aiming for.

I think I have a good shape, big hips and butt, big arms (read "something shitty"), small waist (in comparison to the rest of my body. I carry most muscle and fat in arms and legs, hips too.

My waist went from 40" down to 35", goal is back to 29" (long way away, I know).

Anyway, a trainer at the gym told me I shouldn't bother with ab excersizes until I lose more BF, He said it won't help the shape of my abs. And "I'm wasting time that's best spent elsewhere" What do you guys think??

I'm still working up the nerve to post pics, but when I look at you guys, I get both inspired and discouraged at the same time...... ;)

I know how you feel about the picture posting. I posted my first pics a couple of weeks ago and i was so scared because all the girls here are hard bodies with awesome physiques but I realized that knowing my pics are up and being able to keep posting them and get feedback from everyone will help with my progress because i'll want to show how hot i'm gonna look at the end compared to the first pics!! Don't worry, you won't regret it :) Good luck and post those pics!

Thanks, maybe I'll have my sis take some pics, maybe I'll post my original pics........That way, my today pics will look better in comparison....hmmmm..... :silly:

fmorrow6 said:
Anyway, a trainer at the gym told me I shouldn't bother with ab excersizes until I lose more BF, He said it won't help the shape of my abs. And "I'm wasting time that's best spent elsewhere" What do you guys think??

I'm still working up the nerve to post pics, but when I look at you guys, I get both inspired and discouraged at the same time...... ;)

Well, I think the question is whether or not you have abs and only you would know that. :verygood: If what he meant is that you won't see any results in doing abs until the body fat drops then he's right. That said basic core exercise are good for everyone - something a basic pilates class/tape would be good for.

Well, I couldn't tell you right now if I had abs or not. Nasty fat is covering it. 4 years ago, I had a nice 4 pak, but after two kids and a c-section, who knows whats lying beneath. When I feel past the fat, I can feel the individual muscles. I guess what he was trying to say, is my abs get enough strength training for now, because of the heavy lifting and cardio, and I should wait to really develope them when my bf drops. Am I assuming correctly. I'm on a limited time frame at the gym, so maybe I should add that 15 min. of abs to cardio. Right now I strength train 4 days a week, I think I give 100% on it, then do either 30 min of medium intensity Interval on the eliptical, or HIIT on the eliptical for 10 min, Not incl. 5 min warm up and 5 min. cool down, 5 days a week

yep...pilates for core strengthing

that said...I only work abs directly when Im lean......

Mine stay strong due to heavy basic lifting I do w/o wearing a belt

You can still do abs, say 1-2 x/week, training them as any other muscle group. But also keep in mind that they also get worked as the point of your core strength & balance in combination w/ your back, in most everything that your torso is involved with. To get abs to show however, until you are down to a very lean level, is primirily a function of diet (i.e. bodyfat). My trainer doesn't include any ab work until the 'pack' is starting to show & then do ab work to deepen the cuts and make them more pronounced. Extensive ab work might even leave you looking just "thick" in the waist. When you say "abs", most people are referring to the 6-pack, and you just need to get the fat off them before you can worry about what they look like underneath. Thousands of sit-ups every day aren't going to make them show any faster than your diet allows.

Top Bottom