Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ab exercises in pregnancy

emmab

anyone know of any good exercises for the abs that are OK to do during pregnancy..and which ones are best for early-middle-late pregnancy. I want to keep some abdominal tone, and wondered if isometric holds would be the way, or if some ab work is still safe.

My common sense would say don't do any ab exercises during pregnancy, but, of course, my common sense has been known to run amuck.
I seriously suggest you check with your doc first.

It really stinks but I was told not to do ab exercises laying on my back after the first trimester. I believe there are some standing exercises you can do, ask your obgyn.

Definately do not do abs lying on your back after the fourth month of pregnancy. The growing weight of the baby after this point can cut off the circulation of blood through the uterus and cause many problems for an unborn baby - something you don't want to have to deal with just for strong abs. There'll be lots of time to get your tummy flat after baby.

Why on earth would you want to do abdominal exercizes during pregnancy? I mean, think about what is going on.....your abdominal wall will be stretch BEYOND recognition to allow room for the growing fetus (not to mention the fact that what USED to be there will be pushed up, to the sides and any place else it can go..hehehehe).

I understand your desire to "want to maintain some type of muscle tone" (abdominal muscle tone anyway...there is no reason, unless your doctor advises to the contrary that you can not maintain some sort of activity up until the day you deliver - heck, I was doing step aerobics the day I delivered my first), but it is a futile desire.

Just eat well, get rest and maintain whatever activity level and type of activity that YOU feel comfortable with. OF COURSE, ALWAYS CONSULT W/YOUR DOCTOR...and remember that the type, duration, and intensity will have to be modified as your pregnancy progresses as well as postpartum. Just be smart and use a little common sense.

Pregnancy is but a blip on the screen when compared to the rest of your life.....For God's sake - ENJOY IT! It will be over much too soon! :p

Top Bottom