Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

*OMG* Testosterone levels outta control plus more...

al27

Hi! This is my first post... This seems like the best place to get experienced advice from girls who know :)
A little background (I'll try to be brief)
I'm 35, had a partial hysterectomy 7 years ago. I am not a real body builder, but my husband is! I lift with him at least 5 days per week. I began hormone replacement therapy (by a doctor) 2 years ago. He prescribed normal run of the mill stuff, along with test cream and armour thyroid (my thyroid is useless, current scrip is for 120 mg per day). The testosterone cream never absorbed so one year ago he had me start injecting 25 mg of cyp per week (jealous hubbie lol~ cause it's a lot cheaper through the pharmacy haha) anyways, we moved a year ago and I just continued my medications as prescribed. I saw a new doctor last week for a physical, she ran a complete blood panel. I got the results today and here are the highlights of the results that I am concerned about:
Total testosterone: 370
Free Testosterone: 121.8
TSH: 4.36
Free T4: .95

....holy cow! How are my testosterone level so high?? I swear I've never taken any more than prescribed AND I am slender framed, and have no side effects that ever would have clued me in to it being so high. The thing I've loved is the extra energy in my workouts and the sex drive is great but I have never seen a single stray hair on my face or anything to worry me. I asked hubbie too and he says no. So what in the world is going on? Obviously I need to up my thyroid meds because those are ridiculously low, but I'm concerned about the testosterone. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in a few weeks and I have no doubt they're going to pull the Test off immediately, but will this cause some sort of a crash since I've been on it for so long? Darn it! Ladies who've been on test, whether medically or for pure results, what is your experience?? I don't want to go of of it because I feel really good in the gym, but I don't want to turn into a man either! Aaaaargh!

Maybe I should clarify my question a bit... Sorry I was going on and on... Will testosterone levels as high as I listed cause weird side effects eventually? Thanks :)

they can, if youre not having sides with the test I wouldnt worry
what concerns me is no one has you on any sort of progesterone and I'm not seeing estro numbers
unopposed test in a woman is no beuno

your thyroid numbers are terrible and I suspect you're on synthroid only...which is a disaster waiting to happen (I dont care who you are its a shitty product)
look into either a dessicated thyroid drug (some are better than others because of their binders/fillers) or at least see about a compounded thyroid medication (not all compounding pharmacies are created equal)

If anyone here knows thyroid its Shirlz.

Your missing about a dozen tests that need to be done to determine exactly how your thyroid is or isn't functioning. Free T4 and TSH alone are a joke. I can tell you from first hand experience that 99.9999999 % of doctors know shit about and do not understand how to treat thyroid issues.

If you really are taking armour or any other form of dessicated thyroid then you MUST CHEW it thoroughly and let as much as possible dissolve in your mouth. This will release the active hormone from the binders and fillers used in the manufacturing process. If you swallow them you will literally get 1/4 of the drug you need. This is a fact.
If you are actually taking T4 or synthroid, again as shirlz said its garbage. The only time its useful is in men who are a little hypo.

Just saw this thread. I am at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. 42, female

My levels:

test level is 18 ng/dl
Tsh 1.43
Free t4 1.1
Free t3 3.2
Igf binding protein 1 less than 5 ng/ml
Total iron 65
Dhea 85
Fsh 2.6
Cortisol 11.3
Lh 1
Progesterone 13.4
Estradiol 102

Doc gave me a test shot of 150(?) then 2 weeks later lowered dose to 100(?) to see which dose works better,
Dhea 25
Nature throid, 1 grain
Dim-pro 100

The more I read, the more I worry about the test injections. Should I take something to naturally increase my test?
Will any of these products help with my LH and FSH?
My HDL is also very low.

Just saw this thread. I am at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. 42, female

My levels:

test level is 18 ng/dl
Tsh 1.43
Free t4 1.1
Free t3 3.2
Igf binding protein 1 less than 5 ng/ml
Total iron 65
Dhea 85
Fsh 2.6
Cortisol 11.3
Lh 1
Progesterone 13.4
Estradiol 102

Doc gave me a test shot of 150(?) then 2 weeks later lowered dose to 100(?) to see which dose works better,
Dhea 25
Nature throid, 1 grain
Dim-pro 100

The more I read, the more I worry about the test injections. Should I take something to naturally increase my test?
Will any of these products help with my LH and FSH?
My HDL is also very low.
Without knowing what the "normal range" for the lab is it's tough to discuss your levels.

Let's back up, exactly what are the symptoms that you had the hormone panel done to begin with? Is there another thread I could read? And as for the test shots, I've got no clue why the doc is doing that and yes, it can be playing with fire. Think growing hair in places you don't want it to grow, losing it from where you want to keep it, deeper voice, those side effects are often permanent. And there can be other physical changes, hard to explain, but you can get thicker.

At a glance, without knowing what are considered normal values for where you had the bloodwork done or where you were in your cycle when you had the blood drawn this whole thing is academic. Low LH and FSH aren't bad if you're in the beginning of your cycle or fully postmenopausal (12 months without a period).

This is a good thread. I have chronic fatigue and have found a low dose of testosterone really helps me. I was taking 20mg a week and oddly my side effects were decreased help, it dropped to 28 and a slight increase in hematocrit. My energy and well being was incredible though. I decided to stop the injections and try the gel. It wasn't quite the same at all not sure why. I have read on other forums that some women take low doses in sub q forum. Usuallu 6 to 10 mgs a week. I Am. Considering trying that protocol . I just had rotator cuff surgery and my mood is a bit sad. I know the test helps moods to be stable. I tried progesterone in the past to help with Pam and it blows me up like a water balloon.
I wish there were more info and studies on women and test. I found one study but it was geared towards post menopausal women.

I was glad to find a current thread about women and t. Thanks girls!

Progesterone causes bloat, that's why women get bloated before their periods, when their natural progesterone levels are highest, right after ovulation but progesterone is necessary to the general balance of hormones, as well as the estrogens, testosterone, dhea and pregnenolone.

Frankly, I'm perimenopausal and the best I've felt consistently (so far) is on topical pregnenolone with oral bioidentical progesterone and estradiol and an extra dab of triple natural estrogen cream. I was on a sublingual progesterone but for some reason I wasn't absorbing it. I was also on a bioidentical testosterone cream but after three months my hair starting falling out -- postmenopausal hair loss runs in the women in my family. The doctor tried putting me on DHEA and the crap converted right to testosterone and my hair kept coming out, I also didn't feel all that great with excessive testosterone levels and had no libido.

What I've also discovered is I need to take CoQ, between that and the pregnenolone I've had the best improvement in my energy and stamina and the estrogen and progesterone have stabilized my mood.

I really do believe testosterone is important for women but I can't emphasize enough, you've got to be really tuned into your body and you've got to watch for side effects. Even physiologic doses can cause strange imbalances.

I do take a dhea and pregnanlone combo. No problem with hair loss from dhea or the testosterone. I might try the topical progesterone again. But the water weight was really bad. My legs looked like logs, o don't get that Mich water before period. I am wondering with females that take testosterone how much does it effect Hdl And rbc and what levels of rbc needs to donate blood? I have seen some very strong women at the gym and I know they must be supplementing but I can't find any info on women and testosterone really. Other than it causes masculinzation. I have a f.friend with autoimmune and she takes a lot of test
It has restored her life and takes other hormones as well bit the test has been most beneficial. She says she just waxes but not getting anything else but positive.

Wonder how I can implement the progesterone without gaining 15 lbs of water?

I do take a dhea and pregnanlone combo. No problem with hair loss from dhea or the testosterone. I might try the topical progesterone again. But the water weight was really bad. My legs looked like logs, o don't get that Mich water before period. I am wondering with females that take testosterone how much does it effect Hdl And rbc and what levels of rbc needs to donate blood? I have seen some very strong women at the gym and I know they must be supplementing but I can't find any info on women and testosterone really. Other than it causes masculinzation. I have a f.friend with autoimmune and she takes a lot of test
It has restored her life and takes other hormones as well bit the test has been most beneficial. She says she just waxes but not getting anything else but positive.

Wonder how I can implement the progesterone without gaining 15 lbs of water?
Okay, let's just address the progesterone issue. EXACTLY what kind of progesterone were you using (you can give brand names here). How often were you using it, and how much were you taking per dose.

I've done both prescribed and UN-prescribed testosterone. I was taking the unprescribed stuff for a long time for weight training purposes (more than three months) I loved the way it made me feel emotionally but when the bad side effects kicked in it was like a massive landslide. My voice is deeper (not hugely, just enough that now I'm more of a contralto than an alto when I sing) and there's the hair loss/growth thing -- you lose it where you want to keep it, it grows in where you wish it wouldn't)

As for test having negative effects on HDL and RBC, I can't address either of those. I have familial hypercholesterolemia and a naturally high platelet count.

So hit me up with the factoids on my first paragraph and let's figure this out :qt: Female hormones are kind of like a Jenga tower. You pull this here, you need to add back something else there ... okay, bad metaphor but you get the point.

You might want to look into the books by Dr. John Lee, BTW, to help you understand hormonal function and balance. I highly recommend "What your doctor may not tell you about perimenopause" (it was written after his first book, has newer info).

Top Bottom