Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

*Hack-Hack-Wheeze-Wheeze* Coming Back After Layoff

2Shy

I have this !@#$%!! flu that's been going around that has now developed into bronchitis. I barely have the energy to get online to read the boards, much less post. Needless to say I haven't been working out. When I do feel well enough to do so, should I lower my weights at all (temporarily)? How do you treat a long lay-off? I'll be surprised if I make it back this week at all, so we are talking two to three weeks here.

2-3 weeks? You may not lose that must strength. Try your regular weight - if its too heavy, drop down.

I just went through this, and when I get bronchitis I get really sick. I start back with just moderate cardio until I can breathe heavy again, then go back to the gym. I have to drop weight & volume, and work back up. Just pay attention to what your lungs are telling you. With me it's better to start as soon as I can even if it's at a lower intensity, but sometimes if I push too hard too soon I have a relapse.

Luckily, I only had to take a week off from my bout with a sinus infection. I was a little weaker than normal my first workout - down about 1 rep on each exercise, but my strength is back and moving up again. 2-3 weeks is a little longer though; you might want to try your first workout with slightly lighter weight and train in the 8-10 rep range and see how you feel. If you feel good, start moving back up and drop the rep range back down.

Thanks, everyone. That's pretty much what I figured. Just take it easy, and if regular seems hard, drop back a little. Cardio will probably be the hardest because of the bronchitis recovery.

I'd planned to start a WSB routine last week, but obviously that didn't happen. :) I'm thinking it would be best to stick with my old routine for another week once I get back before moving on to the intensity of the Westside program. I want to be at 100% when I try for those 1RMs!

Yeah, but think how fast you'll be able to increase your 1RMs if you do them right after a bout with bronchitis. :)

Top Bottom