Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Zercher Squats

What's the benefit over front squats?

the benefit is that you are cradling a bar, so your upper back stability is challenged. those who deadlift will see the benefit. cosmetic athletes probably won't see a purpose since it doesnt "target" anything specifically. basically its an exercise that hammers your core, works alot of muscles at once and requires some pain tolerance.

bignate73 said:
the benefit is that you are cradling a bar, so your upper back stability is challenged. those who deadlift will see the benefit. cosmetic athletes probably won't see a purpose since it doesnt "target" anything specifically. basically its an exercise that hammers your core, works alot of muscles at once and requires some pain tolerance.

Sounds like a front squat and a good morning in one

Im not saying you should replace front squats with these. Front squats and zercher squats should be completely different. My description was a little confusing in my second post, but what I was trying to describe is that I keep my upper arms horizantal to the floor. In doing this you are forced to use your core to stabalize your body during the movement. Therefore you're using different muscles than front squats. Also it helps you on your back squat because it forces you to lean back while squatting.

hangclean said:
Im not saying you should replace front squats with these. Front squats and zercher squats should be completely different. My description was a little confusing in my second post, but what I was trying to describe is that I keep my upper arms horizantal to the floor. In doing this you are forced to use your core to stabalize your body during the movement. Therefore you're using different muscles than front squats. Also it helps you on your back squat because it forces you to lean back while squatting.

I know what your saying- even with that arm position- I cant handle heavy loads becaue my arms cradling the bar will give out b4 my legs so it turns into a hi-rep/low weight endurance workout. I much prefer the deep front squat for quad size & strength.

zerchers shouldnt be looked at for quad size and strength in the first place. Its a wide based squat that mimics the mechanics of a PL squat. its heavy on the posterior chain and brings the upper body and core into the movement. generally speaking, its not a struggle to hold up the bar on a front squat if your form is right. its always a challenge to hold the bar with a zercher which is where the challenge to the body lies. of course your legs shouldnt give out, but the logic is the same as someone who leg presses 800lbs...should they be able to squat 800 too? but their legs dont get tired....

the point is, to challenge that movement to the point where SOMETHING gets tired and breaks down. I regularly do these up to 2-3RM and where my legs dont get tired, I may discover that my glutes are lacking or my hams start to buckle, or my erectors are wrecked....somewhere there is a point to doing the exercise that will help.

its the movement itself and the emphasis on weakpoints that makes the difference in why the weight is lower. put the body in a weak position and force it to adapt. when you get strong at these, i guarantee...the carryover functionally is great!

bignate73 said:
zerchers shouldnt be looked at for quad size and strength in the first place. Its a wide based squat that mimics the mechanics of a PL squat. its heavy on the posterior chain and brings the upper body and core into the movement. generally speaking, its not a struggle to hold up the bar on a front squat if your form is right. its always a challenge to hold the bar with a zercher which is where the challenge to the body lies. of course your legs shouldnt give out, but the logic is the same as someone who leg presses 800lbs...should they be able to squat 800 too? but their legs dont get tired....

the point is, to challenge that movement to the point where SOMETHING gets tired and breaks down. I regularly do these up to 2-3RM and where my legs dont get tired, I may discover that my glutes are lacking or my hams start to buckle, or my erectors are wrecked....somewhere there is a point to doing the exercise that will help.

its the movement itself and the emphasis on weakpoints that makes the difference in why the weight is lower. put the body in a weak position and force it to adapt. when you get strong at these, i guarantee...the carryover functionally is great!
I couldnt have said it better.

Top Bottom