Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

? on your type of training

Lord_Suston

I just wanted to see what type of trainer you guys are and why. Do you go in the gym with a rough plan or specific routine. How do you pick your rep scheme and cadence??? How much intensity do you bring and does it ever change?? Just a bunch of questions I just want to see what you have learned and progress from.

I use to train balls to the wall every session, I was alway tired and beat. Every set to failure tons of excercises and reps anything it took, but over last 2 years a lot of planning and cycling intensity

I know what lifts I want to train on each day, but as far as sets, reps, and assistance exercises it varies.

I try to set some kind of pr each time. And just work hard. No fancy crap.

I go in with a general idea of what I am going to do. I make adjustments based on equipment availability. I know my intensity and rep range beforehand.

i go in knowing what im gunna train, what machines/freeweight exersises i wanna do.

training for strength, so i try and do the high rep, since thats what most people say does it

I pretty much know exactly what weight,reps,stets, i will be doing as i keep a log for this reason.

Ditto to what 2horns said.

Intensity cycles a whole ton. I avoid failure like the plague, but I do enjoy maxing out at the end of a training cycle.

I consider myself to be a High volume/High intensity trainer for the most part. Contriversial, no doubt, but its always worked for me.
It takes alot to get me sore. And soreness is always something Ive used as a gauge for effectiveness. That means lots of brutal sets and hopefully eating enough afterwards. For arms, I will do a minimum of 12 sets for each part, 12 for triceps, 12 for biceps, and I will go through the entire spectrum of rep ranges. 12 sets of 12-15 reps worked real well for me, for a long time, but my training has become more instinctual now. This is the minimum though, as my sets often approach 15-20. Im more concerned with getting the target amount of work in. For biceps Im all over the place. The staple of my back routine is deadlifts and variations. Lots of dumbell/barbell rows, chin-ups and other back exercises in there as well for the upper back. Sometimes totalling 30+ sets for back. Rest periods can be long. I max out on these days also with deadlifts (One rep max). Constantly trying to push myself to lift heavier and add reps.I use the power rack and deadlift variations to strengthen my deadlifts. I deadlift with the bar behind my legs also (Beast Lift). I like this movement because I can move alot more weight and it uses the same muscles as a standard deadlift. My main goal with the deadlifts is overall thickness and strength. Progressive resistance is key for me. I usually have 2 days for chest. One day for flat benching, another for incline benching. These days also cycle from one rep maxing, with rep work secondary, to rep work as the focus and one rep maxing thrown in afterwards. I may spend a month focused on one rep maxes for the flat bench for example, with some rep work after Im done maxing..and then the next month cycle my focus to rep PR's and maxing afterwards. I almost always attempt a one rep max. Of course to truly be maxing, you must optimize your sets and reps so that they warm you up, but do not take away from the max strength. So, on the rep months, the max gets much less focus. I also do some accessory work on my chest days. On flat benching day, I add rack lockouts at the end. On the incline day I add speed bench. Ill do some light shoulder work on incline day, lateral raises , no presses usually, since I get enough from my benching. With all the accessory work thats 36 or more sets of presses a week. 22 of them very heavy. When Im training legs Ill do leg presses for very high reps and leg extentions. Almost alway vomit. 800lbs for 52 reps as an example of one of my sets. Traps get hit nice with all the deadlifting, and were the first thing to grow on me. I hit abs four times a week with kneeling cable crunches. The stack for 4 sets of 15 reps. I train them to be strong only. My intensity does change sometimes. Mostly when Im real beat up. Sometimes Ill take it a little easier. I have a plan,but it is flexible and not real regimented anymore. I always stick to the basics of my routine though. High volume, high intensity, and dont switch up my routines too much. Occasionally I will, but I stick to alot of the same exercise order, aslong as Im still getting sore. If Im not sore its because I didnt train intensely enough. Those days are rare now. Rest times depend on the size of the body part and when I feel ready(heart rate plays a role) ,since my training is always heavy. Also if Im maxing, rest periods can be 20 mins or longer. With arms I tend to move pretty fast between sets, but not always. Depends on how I feel that day. Heres a link to a sample routine for biceps and my journal, which is the best testament to my training, the beginning pages have the most content, from before my injury:

Biceps routine:

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=275068&highlight=drop+sets+preacher

Training Journal:

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278469&highlight=drop+sets+preacher

Top Bottom