Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Your chance to help me get a REAL set of Hamstrings!!!

Freak Show

They suck, plain and simple. Haven't found a routine that has worked. So what has worked for you to get some big thick fuckin hammys? Be detailed. Sets, reps, tempo, whatever. I need somethin bad. Before you say squat or deadlift and end your post, let me tell you I live by these lifts, but they ALONE cannot build a massive set of hammys. So take some time and give me your best routine.

Works for me

I had trouble developing hamstrings until I started doing leg curls followed by straight-leg deadlifts. Just be careful on the form with the s.l. deadlifts ... too much weight, moving too fast, or sloppy form can lead to MAJOR injuries that will keep you out of the gym for months. Gerat exercise, but be caerful!:fro:

i found that breaking up hams and quads on seperate days worked for me.i stuck with stiff legs and ham curls on a seperate dayand wasn't wore out after squattin'.just my 2 cents.

Heavy barbell squats and heavy deadlifts always helped out my hams and glutes alot. But I have to say that the #1 exercise for beefin up my hams are stiff-legged deadlifts. I kept my knees almost locked out and really stretched out my hams completely at the bottom of every rep. Try them with a barbell, with dumbbells, and with a smith-machine. All have their place along with leg curls. Try all variations of leg curls, standing, one-legged, seated, lying-down, etc. You also might want to try and hit your hams before your quads or by themselves on a separate day. Maybe hit them hard after a rest day 1st thing in your workout. Good luck bro. :D

i'm with monstar1023 --> stiff leg deadlifts are the one. especially right after heavy squats. for me, 2 sets of 8.

when you do your stiff leg deads, experiment with slightly unlocking your knees. for myself (long torso, short legs), a little bend in my knees makes SL deads a pure hamstring move. if i lock my knees, it becomes a more of a hamstring/lower back lift.

my 3 cents.:)

If your hams are really lagging behind, start with stiff leg deadlifts. Don't waste your time with leg curls. I like 5 sets of deads: 15-12, 12, 10, 8, 8-6

I definetly have to go with what the guys have been saying. After doing some heavy squats and leg presses nothing hits the hams like stiff-legged deadlifts, also try doin the stiff legged deadlifts without coming all the way up , the top portion of the movements works the glutes, if you come up three quarters of the way only the burn in the hamstrings is amazing. KEEP YOUR BACK STRAIGHT...ONLY BEND AT THE HIPS

justinf22 said:
KEEP YOUR BACK STRAIGHT...ONLY BEND AT THE HIPS

i believe these are called roman deadlifts... back straight, slight bend in knees... stick your bootie out as you go back.. you'll feel it in the ham/glute tie in...

also back extensions are great for that area... concentrate on the glutes/hams and boy oh boy do they work.

then you have your old fav mass builders... wide stance squats and leg press....

Thanks for all the advice! But what do you guys think as far as a whole routine goes? How many exercises?

I've done the separate quad and ham days and got decent results, but the way my program is going now I think I'm gonna keep em together for a little while.

Phemomema- is there anything you DON'T know?:D

Freak Show said:

Phemomema- is there anything you DON'T know?:D

lots, like your phone number baby :bigkiss:

as for a program, here's mine for a ham/glute workout... work with it how you will... (after proper warm up... )

wide stance squats... 4 sets 12-10-8-6 (increase weight as i go), then 1 set light for about 20 reps, just to get the blood flowing..

romanian dls - 4 sets (same rep scheme) alternate grip when it gets heavy...

wide stance leg press or hack squat... 5 sets 12-10-8-10-12 (pyramid weights)

lunges (optional) with either db or bb... 3 sets ( i rarely change the weight on these since i'm usually exhausted when i get here...

ham curls (machine) - 4 sets (do single legs if you're brave) 12-10-8-6 (I confess to only doing 2 or 3 sets of these sometimes... i hate them)

and the kicker ...

back extensions... really concentrate on using your ham/glutes... and go heavy as you can for all sets, as much/many as you can... when your hams and glutes are shaking and tears are running down your face, then you can go home.. :)

make sure to stretch a lot...

thats just an average leg day with ham/glute concentration for me :)

Top Bottom