Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Yoga

SAM19

I've been interested in trying yoga for quite some time now, but there are no convenient classes within my area.

Suggestions for good Yoga beginners videotape to get started?

Like most people on here I work out everday, and never feel stretched out enough, and hear nothing but good news about yoga.

All advice is appreciated.

yoga is not for everyone. You need to be tested for hypermobility of the joints. More common in women but does occur in men.

Hypermobility is the cause of thousands of operations per year. If you fail the test you need limited ROM weight training to give the joints the stability they are not receiving from the connective tissue.

you only need as much flexibilty to perform your ADL's, sports and have normal ROM. Any more can predispose you to injury

S

I love yoga, but I know my husband says that stretching too deeply, or becomming too flexible, can predispose you to injury if you lift really heavy weight. I'd definitely consult with a sports med doc first. But once you have permission, you can look into the yoga series by Gaiam. Rodney Yee is a great instructor and has a number of beginning yoga videos. (He does Iyengar yoga, which is what I practice.)

supreme is right. it's not for everyone. but it works for me. helped strengthen my low back and my deads and squats have gone through the roof.

My 3 biggest concerns are max effort of pullups, run time, and just overall having a good looking physique, I no longer train very heavy.

How would yoga affect those specific things.

SAM19 said:
My 3 biggest concerns are max effort of pullups, run time, and just overall having a good looking physique, I no longer train very heavy.

How would yoga affect those specific things.

I don't know about run time or max effort of pullups, but I find the look of a yogi's physique to be beautifully proportioned and balanced. It seems to correct any misalignments and poor posture, etc.

BTW, Gaiam has their 5-tape yoga series on sale right now for about $12 (down from about $50).

Top Bottom