Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Wrist strength holding back bench press progress.

dawookie

Ive noticed that I cannot break my latest bench (incline or flat) plateau, and it seems that my wrist strength is what is holding me back..

My chest never burns out on bench unless Im low on weights.. At higher weights I cant get past the sticking point due to my wrists.

Im pretty tall at 6'3" and have long arms and legs, naturally.. My wrists and ankles are both skinny as hell.. I don't notice any issues with any other exercises, maybe a little pain after an intense barbell curl set but at least I can complete the movement..

would using wrist wraps help me out?

Be careful with the wrist straps.

Any time you artificially support your muscles / joints they are allowed to relax. They won't get any stronger and may actually atrophy to some degree.

To strengthen your wrists, work on developing your grip/hand/forearm strength.

As well, determine where your sticking point on your bench is. At the bottom, mid range, lock out??? When you know where your sticking point is, set up your bench in a power rack, and set 4 pins ( 2 each side) so that you are working only in the range of your sticking point.

Press the bar into the upper set of pins and try to hold for a count of 5-10 seconds. Alternate this workout with your regular bench training.

Also, depending on your sticking point, you may need to work on your auxiliary muscles. Lats, front delts, triceps.

The guys on the powerlifting page will have lots more advice for benching

Thanks, ill check out the powerlifting board..

I actually have less problems on front delts than bench.. Im almost able to military press the same as I can bench.. not much difference between incline and flat also.. and lats I have no problems because it is a pulling motion and doesnt rely on wrist strength as much..

Ive read about the power rack methods, Ill have to give that a try..

Dawookie

Top Bottom