Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

would LOVE some advice

B

buksoon

Hi guys,

I'm a female ectomorph--5'2", about 100 pounds. I love the look and feel of big, hard muscles.

I lift heavier at the gym than almost all the women there, and some men. I do more reps than you guys advise for building. I don't actually count--I just go to failure--but it's usually about 15 - 20 reps.

If I do a higher weight and fewer reps (as you guys advise), then I can't even do 1 rep!

So, my question is: am I working against myself with all those reps?

I know my body type doesn't really put on muscles so easily (and the whole "no testosterone" thing doesn't help!), but with my routine, consistency, and WILLINGNESS TO SUFFER!!!!, I think I'd have some more results by now!

Thanks guys!

Yeah you must be able to move the weight up to a range where you can only do 6-8 reps. You wouldn't go up an incriment then not be able to do one rep at all from been able to do 15-20 reps. The only thing I can think is that you're trying to lift the same weight as the men which would explain why you can't do one rep. Especially if you were trying to mirror the weights lifted in those threads entitled: "What is your best lift..."

I'm not sure how much you're lifting, but you need to gradually increase the weight you're lifting.
Sounds like you are just trying to add too much weight.
Find a weight you can lift for 6-8 reps, and that should do it.

Good luck.

It's a little harder for us women b/c of the lack of testosterone but you can do it. Just go up slowly like the guys are saying. I've been doing this stuff forever and a 24 year old guy who has decent genetics can come in and do what I do if he trains hard for a relatively short amount of time. Forget about lifting "more than all the other women and some of the men" and worry about your personal best. :)

can be one of 2 things.

lots of type 1 fibers.....endurance ones.

or....just not increasing the weight GRADUAL enough.

thats a big jump from 15-20 to 1. i would go with my latter theory. hehe. :fro:

Maybe it would help if youted the weight she is doing for 15-20......then the weight yount get 1 with.

I think youould definitely be doing lower reps.

If you dont feel that you are making good progress amybe you ought to have somebody look at your diet too.

Guys, thanks!! I'm going to try it out tonite and report back.

Heather Darling: yeah, I definitely agree with what you're saying: "the only competition I should worry about is my own self as of yesterday. It's HER I should want to beat."

But you know what? It's smarmy competitiveness that keeps me busting my ass. I just love lowering that peg after the last person is thru .... :devil:

Can you guys tell me: Have I been doing *anything* for myself with all those reps, aside from the cardio benefits (although I think I'm anaerobic at that point, hmph--don't know.) Thanks again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom