Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

working on a new routine

JDid23

hey guys.. just joined the forums it seems like there is some really good knowledge to gain by reading.

anyways, i am 17 years old, i am 5'9 and weigh 148 pounds. i play soccer, and haven't really been training consistently over the last 6 months. lately, i have been doing some bodyweight exercises, but since i just got my license i am going to start going to the gym every other day. My routine looks like this:

Day A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
3x5 Deadlift
3x10 Dips
3x12 calf raises

Day B:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Rows
3x failure chinups (i can't do many yet)
3x20 russian twists (with 10 pound weight)
Planks 2x failure

is there too much secondary work in there after the compound movements?

also, once school ends (June 24th) i am going to do HIIT every other day. does that sound reasonable or would that be over training? thanks to anyone who helps
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2137440

Last edited:
Fuck bro thats the best routine I have ever seen a n00b (no offence) come up with as their first idea! respect to you, you must have done some readin up on routines before you asked.

Whenever someone asks for a new routine they get reccomended routines like the one you have come up with, usually the madcow or bill star 5x5 but for me, I got told to start doing this:

Workotu A
Squats 3x8
Deads 3x6
Dips 3x8
Chins 3xfail

Workout B
Flat Bench 3x8
DB Pullover 3x10
BB Row 3x8
Bradford Style Military 3x6

It worked great for me and I think yours looks great too so keep it as you types as its pretty much the same as mine. I alternated mine through a 3 day a week split. Week 1 would go A,B,A then week 2 would go B,A,B if that makes sense. I would say you should do yours like that too, 3 days a week is fine.

As for assistance I would say thats fine, a strong core is essential and although most people say aslong as you are squatting, rowing and DLing your core will be strong, some extra work wont do any harm and at the end of the day its only 5 sets. Planks are a great choice also.

Save HIIT for when you are as muscular as you want to get IMO and then only do it 3 times a week to loose some BF and get cut up. If you have to do cardio then slow pace for long amounts of time is good like walking at an incline although Im not an expert on this you might need a second opinion.

Those links you posted wont let me on without making an account on that website...

Fuck bro thats the best routine I have ever seen a n00b (no offence) come up with as their first idea! respect to you, you must have done some readin up on routines before you asked.

Whenever someone asks for a new routine they get reccomended routines like the one you have come up with, usually the madcow or bill star 5x5 but for me, I got told to start doing this:

Workotu A
Squats 3x8
Deads 3x6
Dips 3x8
Chins 3xfail

Workout B
Flat Bench 3x8
DB Pullover 3x10
BB Row 3x8
Bradford Style Military 3x6

It worked great for me and I think yours looks great too so keep it as you types as its pretty much the same as mine. I alternated mine through a 3 day a week split. Week 1 would go A,B,A then week 2 would go B,A,B if that makes sense. I would say you should do yours like that too, 3 days a week is fine.

As for assistance I would say thats fine, a strong core is essential and although most people say aslong as you are squatting, rowing and DLing your core will be strong, some extra work wont do any harm and at the end of the day its only 5 sets. Planks are a great choice also.

Save HIIT for when you are as muscular as you want to get IMO and then only do it 3 times a week to loose some BF and get cut up. If you have to do cardio then slow pace for long amounts of time is good like walking at an incline although Im not an expert on this you might need a second opinion.

Those links you posted wont let me on without making an account on that website...

hey thx a lot man... yeah i was checking out some stuff on lifting and that is what i came up with.

the thing is i do want to get as big as i can, but soccer starts mid august and even before that i have to train for it... would doing HIIT be too much or hurt my gains?

as for the links idk what they are lol

hey thx a lot man... yeah i was checking out some stuff on lifting and that is what i came up with.

the thing is i do want to get as big as i can, but soccer starts mid august and even before that i have to train for it... would doing HIIT be too much or hurt my gains?

as for the links idk what they are lol

Yeah good job!

As for HIIT, Im not sure whether is would stop you gaining much but common sense would say yes it would, after all to add mass you need to have more calories than you burn. Say for example you need 3500 cals for maintenance and your eating 4000 then yeah you could gain weight but with HIIT added then you burn alot more calories and so would have to eat even more to gain the same amount of weight...

Just my idea but I would wait till you could get a 2nd opinion from someone more advanced than me, after all Iv only been trainin 6 months lol

Looks good to me also.

As was pointed out, 3x a week is plenty for strength training. You want to be cautious of overtraining more than you want to cram in a lot of work.

One thing, don't train to failure which is good for bodybuilders but counterproductive to you at this stage. Try rest-pause instead. Do as many as you can without failure. Then rest for 8 breaths and do as many as you can again without hitting failure.

Secondary work depends on your work capacity. If what you have turns out to be too much just cut back. Then main thing is to be honest with yourself as to what you can actually do.

I'm going to disagree about HIIT. Having to carry useless extra mass all over the field isn't good. How much and how often will again depend on your present fitness. If in doubt, better to start off light (2x a week) and work up. You could substitute some steady state, or aerobic type cardio for some of the HIIT. A light jog once a week instead is a good way to boost your endurance which you'll need in the second half.

If you still have the energy and want to hit the gym an extra day you could do mobility drills or complexes:
YouTube - BARBELL CIRCUIT WORKOUT

The idea here is to do some useful conditioning that will help your other training not to burn yourself out. Keep it short and sweet.

Don't do HIIT. Just work out and focus on gains.

And you'd be an idiot not to do the Starting Strength routine. It is designed for kids like yourself.

Google Starting Strength, buy and thoroughly read the book and do the routine. It is BY FAR the best option available to you.

Looks good to me also.

As was pointed out, 3x a week is plenty for strength training. You want to be cautious of overtraining more than you want to cram in a lot of work.

One thing, don't train to failure which is good for bodybuilders but counterproductive to you at this stage. Try rest-pause instead. Do as many as you can without failure. Then rest for 8 breaths and do as many as you can again without hitting failure.

Secondary work depends on your work capacity. If what you have turns out to be too much just cut back. Then main thing is to be honest with yourself as to what you can actually do.

I'm going to disagree about HIIT. Having to carry useless extra mass all over the field isn't good. How much and how often will again depend on your present fitness. If in doubt, better to start off light (2x a week) and work up. You could substitute some steady state, or aerobic type cardio for some of the HIIT. A light jog once a week instead is a good way to boost your endurance which you'll need in the second half.

If you still have the energy and want to hit the gym an extra day you could do mobility drills or complexes:
YouTube - BARBELL CIRCUIT WORKOUT

The idea here is to do some useful conditioning that will help your other training not to burn yourself out. Keep it short and sweet.

thx for the help everyone.. it's much appreciated. during/about a month before soccer season, i want to focus more on soccer/getting faster and in shape opposed to lifting.. don't get me wrong i still really want to lift and keep up my routine, but maybe cut down on it or just do it two times a week (took your suggestion and kind of altered it lol). would that be okay if i did that 2x a week, and soccer training 3x a week.. i would go for pretty burnout days on the soccer training.

i just finished my first workout.. nobody was at the squat rack, so i got in my squats and deads pretty quick.. it felt good just knowing i was doing the 2 best exercises and it was damn funny when some people looked at me like the odd man out at the squat rack. the only question i have is whether it is normal for your back to hurt after squatting (not really my back but the place where you rest the bar? it kind of went away, but it hurt a lot when i rested the bar on it. i wanted to get a better idea of how much i could squat and dead so i did another set. i know i could get more deadlifting, but squatting took a lot of my power. i squatted;

45x5
65x5
85x5
95x5

and for deads;

45x5
85x5
95x5
105x5

however, there were so many freakin people waiting to bench at 8:45 that i couldn't get it in so i just did dumbell bench press.. that didn't go too well for me because some douche took the 40 pounders away and 45 was a bit too much for me.. was this a bad idea? i know i could have gone higher so this was annoying. i did

30x5
35x5
35x5

then for dips i did 3x8 (12 was a bit too many for me at this point) and 3x15 calf raises.. time to start eating :)

sorry for posting this here lol i just want to get it down somewhere so i can start a training log

Yeah your program is great, Squats, Dead, Bench, Rows, Military, Dips, Chins. The 7 most basic and best exercises out there IMO.

About resting the bar, make sure it is not on your neck or any other bone for that matter. Now you can do a high bar squat with it across the tops of your traps and shoulders or a low bar squat with it a little lower down more like across your rear delts and with your elbows pointed back a little more, just do whichever is more comfortable for you.

DB Bench is great but barbell bench is even better. Try not to make a habit of it but dont get stressed if every once in a while you have to use the DB's.

Oh and with dips I would say go to one rep away from failure, one you can do 8 for all your sets start adding weight, same with chins

Yeah your program is great, Squats, Dead, Bench, Rows, Military, Dips, Chins. The 7 most basic and best exercises out there IMO.

About resting the bar, make sure it is not on your neck or any other bone for that matter. Now you can do a high bar squat with it across the tops of your traps and shoulders or a low bar squat with it a little lower down more like across your rear delts and with your elbows pointed back a little more, just do whichever is more comfortable for you.

DB Bench is great but barbell bench is even better. Try not to make a habit of it but dont get stressed if every once in a while you have to use the DB's.

Oh and with dips I would say go to one rep away from failure, one you can do 8 for all your sets start adding weight, same with chins

thx for all the help man... i am thinking of switching the rows to cleans because cleans just strike me as a really explosive exercise that i would enjoy doing... as for adding weight, should i just take like a 10 pound weight and put it in between my legs during the dips?

also, this is a really dumb question but as far as benching goes, should i alter anything besides not training to failure without a spotter?

Top Bottom