Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

working on a new routine

thx for all the help man... i am thinking of switching the rows to cleans because cleans just strike me as a really explosive exercise that i would enjoy doing... as for adding weight, should i just take like a 10 pound weight and put it in between my legs during the dips?

also, this is a really dumb question but as far as benching goes, should i alter anything besides not training to failure without a spotter?

Power cleans to rows is fine, hang cleans will give you more explosive power. If you have any trouble with them I reccomend sending a private message to the member called iggy. He loves his powercleans.

With dips buy a cheap chain from a hardware store that will hang about down to knee level if you attach it around your waist, then buy a climbing clip or some other clip so you can join the two ends together and put weights on the end of that. Alternatively you could buy a shorter piece of chain and attach that to your lifting belt if you own one or just simply buy a weighted dip/chin belt which comes all set up with chains and clips, although these can be expensive. Start by adding a 5lb weight for your first set see how many reps you get, if you get more than 5 then use a 10lb weight. Aim to add enough weight so that you can only get 5 or so reps with it then build up form their trying to manage a couple of reps more with that each week, once you hit 8 or 9 then add the same amount of weight again and start again from 5 reps.

As for benching without a spotter Im not sure, what I do is for my warmup sets and lighter sets I can lift it off on my own but for my heavy sets of 3 and 5 I just ask someone in the gym who I trust or have spoken to before and ask them just to lift the weight off the rack for me. Going to failure is really not good if you want to build strength anyway, I try to always stay at msot 1 rep away. Hope that helps...

just got home from the gym and downed my moms salad with tons of veggies and feta cheese along with a nice protein shake. the workout wasn't as planned, but i think it went okay.

i went in and some guy (around 23, and really jacked) was using the squat rack for shrugs.. i waited for 2 minutes and i saw him head over to the dumbbell rack. he left the weights on, so i went up to him and asked if he was still using the rack and he said yes.. i decided i would wait, and i picked up some dumbbells and did DB Bench/Row.. during this time, douche biggalow (as i am going to call him) was using the smith machine for bench press. he was putting up 350 and his form was horrible (feet off the ground, using his back, etc etc). as i went over to the rack to hit up some squats, he fucking stopped mid rep and cut in front of me to shrug.. i was pretty fucking pissed, but this dude is about 6'3 and pure muscle. i didn't think he could be there forever, so i did some russian twists with a 10 pound weight, then 25 pound weight when i found out that was too light, followed by 2 planks (only 45 seconds). finally, he left the gym and i squatted/deadlifted. never have i seen such a huge douche bag. however, there were like 10 other people lifting (6 were benching) so i have to remind myself to go to the gym around 4:15.

again, my workout was pretty shitty/didn't go as planned, but at least i am getting into the habit of going... next time i am going to do my Day 2 (i didn't feel like doing BB rows after the DB rows, and

DB Bench- 35x5, 40x5, 40x5
DB Rows- 35x5, 40x5, 40x5
Russian Twists- 2x20 (10 pound weight), 1x20 (25 pound weight)
Planks- 2x45 seconds
Squat- 45x5, 85x5, 105x5, 115x5
Deadlift- 45x5, 115x5, 145x5
DB press- 20x5
Chinups- i got 3 my first 2 times, 3rd time i got 4, and i knew i could do another one so on the 4th i busted out 5

oh and i tried standing military press with 20 pound dumbbells and only did 5 reps... those were harder than i fucking thought lol.. is it going to be damn hard for me to start with OH Press?

i bolded the questions.. thanks to anyone who helps me out it's much appreciated.

just got home from the gym (is there a place for journals or is it okay to do it in this thread as i've seen some others?).. today felt like a great workout, and i found rows to be damn hard for the first time..

oh, and my legs were shaking like hell while i was doing the rows. is this normal for the first time or is it even like this every time or was i doing something wrong?

I then proceeded to doing 1x5 overhead press (bar) until a guy who is a family friend i know asked to get in some curls... he is about 3 times bigger than i am, and he is a really nice guy so i let him in.. then, he asked me how to deadlift, so i showed him. i let him try some (only 65 pounds) and he had literally the worst form i had ever seen. he didn't keep his back straight, did them stiff legged but bent down way too far.. and then he tried to clean and jerk in one motion. i didn't want him to throw out his entire body, so i showed him how to do deadlifts and then clean and jerk. and i swear i fell in love with the exercise. instead of finishing up my OH Presses, i did clean and jerk (with the OH press at the end, i think that is what they are called).. i ended up doing

65x5, 75x5, and 85x5... i had so much fun doing them, and really felt how explosive the exercise was. i ended with dips.. by the time i got to dips, my arms were practically falling off. i went for 2x8, and on the 3rd i only got 5 so as i was walking out of the gym, i really wanted to finish the 3 for me to feel complete.. my arms were soooooo shot i only got 2 in, but i really felt it and feel great right now.

Squat.. 45x5, 95x5, 115x5, 125x5
Row.. 45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5
OH Press.. 45x5
Clean/Jerk.. 65x5, 75x5, 85x5
Dips.. 2x8, 1x5, 1x2

this was only my 3rd workout.. and now i realize this probably wasn't a great workout because of the fact i went against my routine and did virtually no pressing (well i did press at the end of the clean) compared to the pulling (rows, and cleans).. would it be okay to have something like this in my workout if i get rid of the press?? i don't want to get rid of the OH Press though because i have heard so many awesome things about it.. would doing it in the clean be the same or not because you gain momentum from the clean?.. and are you supposed to use legs to help you with the OH press like a little bit? i wasn't using my legs much at all while pressing up.

Workout 4

by far the hardest workout i have had yet today... it felt fucking awesome. there were only like 15 people in the entire fucking gym, and about 7 or 8 were on the tredmill or eliptical. i had the rack all to myself.

squat
65x5
105x5
115x5
135x5

deadlift
85x5
115x5
135x5
155x5

db bench press
40x5
40x5

then i tried it with 45 pounders, and did 3 reps.... (couldn't do anymore) then i got a drink and really had to work for the last 2.

by then my right arm felt like it was going to fall off so i passed on the dips

3x15 calf raises

would it be okay to have something like this in my workout if i get rid of the press?? i don't want to get rid of the OH Press though because i have heard so many awesome things about it.. would doing it in the clean be the same or not because you gain momentum from the clean?.. and are you supposed to use legs to help you with the OH press like a little bit? i wasn't using my legs much at all while pressing up.

I think yuou should just stick to how you planned the workout originally. At first you said you were gonna do this:

Day A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
3x5 Deadlift
3x10 Dips
3x12 calf raises

Day B:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Rows
3x failure chinups (i can't do many yet)
3x20 russian twists (with 10 pound weight)
Planks 2x failure

Keep them in that order too. If some guy is shrugging in the squat rack you can do 3 things - wait for him to finish, ask if you can work in and you do a set of squats then rack it then he does a set of shrugs and so on. Or you could do a differant exercise first but I would say to try and avoid doing deads or abs before squats.

If you really enjoy clean and press then yah replace the OHP with it, including exercises you enjoy will help you to stick to this program for a long time.

I dont know if I already said this or not but once you can do 8 or more dips for all of your sets start adding weight and then build up again.

Putting up a journal is a good idea but damn there are alot of journals around atm lol

I think yuou should just stick to how you planned the workout originally. At first you said you were gonna do this:

Day A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
3x5 Deadlift
3x10 Dips
3x12 calf raises

Day B:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Rows
3x failure chinups (i can't do many yet)
3x20 russian twists (with 10 pound weight)
Planks 2x failure

Keep them in that order too. If some guy is shrugging in the squat rack you can do 3 things - wait for him to finish, ask if you can work in and you do a set of squats then rack it then he does a set of shrugs and so on. Or you could do a differant exercise first but I would say to try and avoid doing deads or abs before squats.

If you really enjoy clean and press then yah replace the OHP with it, including exercises you enjoy will help you to stick to this program for a long time.

I dont know if I already said this or not but once you can do 8 or more dips for all of your sets start adding weight and then build up again.

Putting up a journal is a good idea but damn there are alot of journals around atm lol

yeah.. thx

would doing cleans and rows be too much?

as for the guy, he was a massive douche bag and i didn't even want to have to deal with him lol.

now i have a MASSIVE PROBLEM.

i feel like i am progressing really well with my lifting, but my dad feels like i am lifting way too much. He wants me to drop down 20-30 pounds in at least each lift (i am deadlifting more than i weigh and will be squatting more than i weigh in 2-3 workouts) and he is going to ask the personal trainer at the YMCA if deadlifting and squatting is okay.. i told him i looked everything online and got advice from professional weightlifters and bodybuilders and he told me that they just try to sell stuff online. I tried to explain everything to him, and he said that the trainers have master degrees with this shit. Hopefully he doesn't follow through but if he does i am gonna be pretty pissed.....

and one last ?, yesterday at the end of my workout my arms were way too sore to do dips. I just skipped out on them due to a nagging pain in my right arm. I hope this doesn't happen everytime, but if it does does it mean i should lift less and save up for the entire workout? Or should i lift as much as i can and see if i have enough left for dips/chins or w/e i am doing? Maybe just don't go allout everyday, but have some workouts where i do? thx

yeah.. thx

would doing cleans and rows be too much?

as for the guy, he was a massive douche bag and i didn't even want to have to deal with him lol.

now i have a MASSIVE PROBLEM.

i feel like i am progressing really well with my lifting, but my dad feels like i am lifting way too much. He wants me to drop down 20-30 pounds in at least each lift (i am deadlifting more than i weigh and will be squatting more than i weigh in 2-3 workouts) and he is going to ask the personal trainer at the YMCA if deadlifting and squatting is okay.. i told him i looked everything online and got advice from professional weightlifters and bodybuilders and he told me that they just try to sell stuff online. I tried to explain everything to him, and he said that the trainers have master degrees with this shit. Hopefully he doesn't follow through but if he does i am gonna be pretty pissed.....

and one last ?, yesterday at the end of my workout my arms were way too sore to do dips. I just skipped out on them due to a nagging pain in my right arm. I hope this doesn't happen everytime, but if it does does it mean i should lift less and save up for the entire workout? Or should i lift as much as i can and see if i have enough left for dips/chins or w/e i am doing? Maybe just don't go allout everyday, but have some workouts where i do? thx

Ah yes your dad may be a problem. I have the same... well kinda, Im 14 and my parents would prefer me to go to the gym to "stay in shape" and "keep fit" rather than get bigger... Girls are startin to say Im a bit big any much bigger and I wont look nice too.

Maybe you could buy somthing like starting strength 2 which is a book my mark rippetoe (which I am about to buy too) then you could read through it with him, show him a page about mark if you have to so your dad knows he is the real deal. You could say somthing to him like "well dad I've thought about what you said and I think maybe a good idea would be to buy a book about teenagers weightlifting, one of the worlds most famous strength coached called mark rippetoe has recently wrote a new one called starting strength, what about if I bought that and we looked through it together" That is the sort of thing I would to but ultimately, if your dads mind is set then there is not much you can do to change it. Chances are PT's wont give the best advice either. Only option would be to lie to your dad about the weights your lifting but lying to parents is a nasty business and I never to it, once they find out you lie about something chances are they'll doubt other things you tell them and suspect things. My mum used to think I was on dope when I was 13 lol

As for dips, if the problem is fatigue then you could always use a plate loaded dip machine or an assisted dip machine, if it hurts your arms then maybe your form is off. Is it pain or muscle fatigue?

Top Bottom