Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why is training bodyparts more than 1X/week bad?

alexsmom

Hi,

Is the theory of training bodyparts 1X per week only for those who lift really heavy, or does it apply to someone who is still working her way up and not lifting very heavy yet?(well, heavy for me but probably not compared to many of your standards). Should I go for 2x/week? I'm 5'8", 125lbs...not sure of BF% but would like to lower it.
Thanks!

It all depends. Everyone is different, but you are right, most BBs lift each body part 1x/wk. For me, I have to lift my upper body 2x/wk. Legs I can maintain on 1x/wk (not so heavy) - genetics allow me to gain muscle quick and easy in my lower body. But my upper body sucks - muscle is hard gotten, esp. in my arms. I have tried hitting each body part 1x/wk and lifting heavier, less reps, etc. - didn't work. I got nowhere and even ended up a step backwards. So I have learned through experience I have to hit each upper body part 2x/wk.

I guess what I am trying to say is nothing earth shattering - everyone is different. If you are getting good gains by 1x/wk - stay with it. Or if you want to try something different, try 2x/wk for a little while and see how you feel and if you get results. You never know until you try! :)

How many times a week can depend on how many sets and how hard you train. For example for back you could do 10 sets 2x a week or you could bomb them with 20 sets once a week. I have done both ways and they both seem to work for muscle building purposes.

Like DG and Cyto touched on, its realtive to the person. Over the last ten years I've tried every approach I could, and I have found my body to respond best to 1x/week. It took me almost this long just to figure that out. But, I always try to lift until I puke or pass out. :) You may not be as strangely obsessed with heavy weights as I am, so you may be totally different.

Unfortunately, there are entirely too many variables for anyone but yourself to provide the answer to this.

Learn to listen to your body, it will tell you everything you need to know

It is not bad. It is better. Provocative statement perhaps considering the what the majority of the people here espouse, but it's true.

-Zulu

MarshallPenniford said:
It's not bad. In fact I do 3-4 times a week.

Are you saying that you hit each muscle group 3-4 times a week:confused:

ZZuluZ-

You can't say for sure that its better, or that it is "true". If I train legs or back more than once a week, I overtrain and my body turns catabolic. If I'm lucky, I won't get sick if I continue to do so. However, some people can follow this routine without a problem.

This game is highly relative, and making statements of unqualified certainty is what causes people to follow schedules that aren't right for them.

I've never been into full body training. Just not for me. My back is still sore from doing deads on Wednesday:). Have you gotten decent results so far?

Thaibox - I've been using a HST derived routine for the past 4 months and have made some incredible size and strength gains. Although the program is geared for hypertrophy, Ive made better strength gains than I ever did training 1x a week. Without a doubt, you have to avoid failure most of the time, otherwise you are going to be seriously overtraining. But, soreness disappears with the frequent training, so you don't have to deal with that anymore -- and I used to get major DOMS, so I know what you're saying with your back. :)

Top Bottom