Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why some say decline bench press is useless?

Bojanesnew

hey bros,A personal trainer that did an introduction to the new gym on my first day and experienced big guys at the same gym told me not waste time on decline bench because is useless. According to their reasoning your are burning energy and strength on a movement that works only your lower chest. They claim that instead they say do wide dips , they are way better, what are your thoughts on this guys?

I'm with the group that says there is no need for decline bench. It feels good because you can lift a bit more but there are better movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually there is a purpose to it. those that are having shoulder or rotator cuff issues can use decline. incline and militaries are OUT OF THE QUESTION until the injury is healed. a great way to cause a shit ton of damage to the rotator cuff is the boneheads i see throwing on plates and doing too much weight with shit form.

Last edited:
The decline bench certainly isn't a useless exercise. Incline bench, flat bench and decline bench all put slightly different tension on the peck muscles. It's always best to incorporate a wide range of exercises into your workout program to fully develop the muscles.

Incline movements prioritize the upper chest where as flat and decline movements prioritize the lower chest.

The decline bench press is a great movement to go heavy on. Very heavy dips are very hard on your elbows and it's very easy to rip a peck doing them.

It is just another angle to help you hit the lower pecs. I don't think there really is a "useless" exercise. If you are pushing weight you are working something. I am a big fan of changing routines every 6 weeks or so. I would rotate it in and out of your plans.

The reason why some people say that is because a lot of people have lagging upper chest. Therefore any type of focus on lower chest muscles will only worsen the problem.

It is not useless, its just that not a lot of people can actually utilise the exercise properly.

Top Bottom