Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why are some guys big/weak and some small/strong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lat said:

Actually, its probably more that your CNS is not properly trained for singles. A maximum effort single is much different that repping a similar weight. Your nervous system sees an overload condition and shuts you down prematurely.

I have had this phenomenoa happen to me several times, specifically in olympic lifts. For instance, I can perform sets of triples with 210 lbs on the snatch but when I go for a single with 220 my body almost seems to shutdown. It wont let me move the weight. I try to overcome this mentally but my body will not allow it.

needsize said:
With how much I can deadlift for reps, it would seem like I would have a crazy max, but I've put up 600 once, and 625 once, thats not much more than what I rep with, but my frame just isnt built for big singles

I'd say that your max sounds normal relative to what you can do for reps. 500 for 10, 550 for 5 and you have a 600ish max. bfold has a 700 max and he did 500 for 15 that one day during his competition. I do around 365x5 and have a 410-425 max.

I read a thread on what you should be able to hit 225 for in order to get a 300 max on bench. Most people seemed to agree that you'd have to be able to hit around 10 reps at 225 and 250-65 for 5.

Don't sell yourself short. You sound like you're right on track as far as a max goes.

some good points on this thread. Myself, i always thought my maxes sucked, but I get hurt so easily I'm afraid to do them

Are you guys saying that, body fat being the same, size of muscles can be different with the strength being the same, and vice verca?

What is the difference between training methods? Is there total agreement that you can train for size versus strength?

Synpax -- the body is a complicated system of levers. Imagine two guys, guy A and guy B. Let's magically assume that A and B have the same size biceps. Let's also assume that guy B's bicep insertion point is 50% farther from his elbow than guy A.

This mean that, all other things being equal, B will curl 50% more weight than A.

Now there are as many configurations as there are people. You can see where this is complicated.

There are some other general guidelines. If you have long arms and a short torso you can easily be a deadlift machine, for example.

Also if two people have exact genetics, twins for example, and one has specifically trained his body for max weight, it is very likely that his nervous system recruits more muscle fibers than his brother (or sister). So if one has a nervous system that recruits 10% more of his/her nervous system, then they would be able to lift (theoretically) 10% more weight.

its not as linear as that. but yes, depending on the training the person is used to, will dictate the types of lifts that he/she excels in.

i wondered that too. a guy at my gym thats 220, real thick, cant even bench 275 for 1... :( super sad... and i can do it for 10. not to mention hes 25 and im 19. maybe the way he trains? i mean, hes still stronger thatn the average guy. and hes pretty big, so, people at clubs or w/e might think hes strong dont mess with him. hes prolly happy the way he is.. but i wouldnt be :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom