x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

Why Pre-Workout Stretching is BAD!!!

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Why Pre-Workout Stretching is BAD!!! within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: So, I've always advocated a short warmup activity (riding bike, jogging, walking, jumping, etc.) depending on the activity you're about to perform. I've always considered it bad to stretch a cold muscle. Think about taking a rubber band out of the freezer (after it's been in say an hour) and immediately stretching it. What is likely to happen is...SNAP! Now I know that's a rather drastic analogy, but it demonstrates a point. Here is an article I found while perusing a site

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Why Pre-Workout Stretching is BAD!!!

My routine would be something such as :

Leg days - Recumbant bike for 10 minutes slow-med speed and gradually building resistance. At that point the cardiovascular system is awake and ready to go. Muscles are noticably full of blood. Muscles are also warm. Especially legs. At which point I do stretch them. I do this mostly to stretch out my hams and my groin area. If I get into squats or heavy leg press without stretching those areas out they cramp or sometimes charlie horse on me. So for me its a must. I have to keep them stretched out throughout too.

Upper body days - Since I have had tendon issues at the tri/elbow area and still have rotator issues I do 10 minutes of brisk walking on the treadmill at a 2 degree incline to get the cardiovascular system woken up and the mucsles full of blood.
    At that point I don't really stretch. I will grab a 5 lb plate in each hand and do arm circles big ones and smaller tight ones (controlled not flailing around) to warm up the shoulders and rotators. I'll do some overhead extensions with these same plates til I feel a slight burn in the tri. Again to hit the elbow area. I might free hang from the chin bar for a few seconds to get the spine straight. But no actual stretching per say.
    Then on a chest day i'll do 2 light 25 rep sets on the pec dec and 3 light DB press sets to make sure everything is good and warm and pumped before hitting work sets. After the first heavy work set I stretch. The again in between and after each work set.

oops double post

Great read CEO, however I disagree.

I'll give you an example. In arm wrestling, if you're looking to "hit" i.e. one fast exertion of tendons / muscles to get the other guys ar to the pad, then you generally don't stretch, because stretching and being warm can decrease your reaction time / speed.

However, before an arm wrestling workout / intense gym session, everyone always stretches because there are things like tendons / ligaments and muscles that can get seriously hurt if you don't stretch.

I guess, dependingon what you're doing, it can hinder or help. Most cases however, please stretch...it'll def. save you.

The downside of being better than everyone else, is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

oh surprise!

You shouldn't stretch a cold muscle.

Quote Quote posted by ceo View Post
    oh surprise!

You shouldn't stretch a cold muscle.
    no, but you can warm up for 5-10 minutes doing cardio and then stretch...it helps.

The downside of being better than everyone else, is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

I stated in 2 or 3 posts in this very thread that very mild dynamic stretching can be done after a warmup and before the actual work is performed. As for static stretches, I would only do them after I'm done working that muscle or muscle group.

If you want to do static stretches before you lift, go for it bro.

cardio shortens and tightens your hip flexors, stupid to do cardio then stretch then lift

Quote Quote posted by ceo View Post
    I stated in 2 or 3 posts in this very thread that very mild dynamic stretching can be done after a warmup and before the actual work is performed. As for static stretches, I would only do them after I'm done working that muscle or muscle group.

If you want to do static stretches before you lift, go for it bro.
    Yeh, makes sense. I'll eliminate static stretching and see how it goes.

Guru

I have a nagging injury in my groin from pre workout stretching prior to squats. Nothing big and doesnt hinder my lifting but Im conscious of it because I dont want it to get worse. Took 2 weeks out of the gym due to sickness and it still hasnt gone away...

I pulled it doing some "cossack squats" which Ive seen on videos from joe defranco and diesel crew. I heard they were great for loosening up the hips prior to squatting and pulling but def pulled something in my groin. I didnt feel anything go snap or pop it just feels like Iv slightly irritated or pulled a muscle, it only hurts on my first few sets of squats as Im getting warmed up.

Not sure what to do...

any ideas ceo? maybe I should just leave it since its not really major or impacting on my lifting...

I've just fucked my progress with injuries so many times before I dont want it to happen again.