Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why Pre-Workout Stretching is BAD!!!

I was still pitching in baseball, we would run, then do a bunch of dynamic stretching excercises like arm circles, and all sorts of other things to get the muscle warm and loose. I always did LIGHT direct stretching AFTER the muscle was warm and pliable.

If we were ever seen strching our shoulders before running, and doing all of our warm-up excercises, would get get chewed out big time because it increases injury risk 10 fold.

I still incorporate the same warm-up method in lifting, but modified for weight lifting.

Always get warm and loose before doing any direct stretching. For weight lifting, you don't want to do any direct stretching until you are finished lifting. Stretching a lot while lifting will decrease your lift potentials.

I was still pitching in baseball, we would run, then do a bunch of dynamic stretching excercises like arm circles, and all sorts of other things to get the muscle warm and loose. I always did LIGHT direct stretching AFTER the muscle was warm and pliable.

If we were ever seen strching our shoulders before running, and doing all of our warm-up excercises, would get get chewed out big time because it increases injury risk 10 fold.

I still incorporate the same warm-up method in lifting, but modified for weight lifting.

Always get warm and loose before doing any direct stretching. For weight lifting, you don't want to do any direct stretching until you are finished lifting. Stretching a lot while lifting will decrease your lift potentials.

They started doing this int he army before I got out. We always used to stretch before pt in the morning, but the last few years I was in they changed it. No stretching before pt only after.

usually you warm up then stretch then do your main workout then cooldown. it helped me be injury free for 2 years in XC(not sure if it was the actual reason, but i like to think so). a msucle with blood flow is more elastic thus giving more stretch.

I'm glad you posted this up ceo! I never feel I've done much good when stretching before a workout but when I've stretched afterward I always feel the muscles get more benefit. I believe what this study is saying is true but always find it interesting to cross-examine the study. For instance, out of all the people that stretched vs people that didn't stretch before excercising it's important to know exactly WHY most of the people that decided to stretch before did so. I would venture to guess that a large portion of these people that stretch before excercising either had pre-existing ailments or are people that are less flexible than the general population. So the people that are stretching before a MORE likely to be injured during excercise NOT b/c they stretched before but b/c they are more pre-dispositioned to be injured.

The best stretch is dynamic warm-ups... Do that and your already stretched enough for any workout, you got your blood pumping, and your muscles are loose, though afterwards I do like to do some static stretching, but this is after I've warmed up, I also stretch between sets, but thats mainly because I have a lot of shoulder and back pain

Top Bottom