Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why don't you gain with more volume if it is reps based?

Quilyta

I got a question about volume of workload. We all know that you need to have a maximum volume of work in a certain time to get best results. So the question is – why does it work with heavy weights, but not repetitions? I mean, for example, that in one training we can bench 100 kg for 8 reps in 3 sets. That makes up a total of 800*3=2400 kgs. Then we can take 40 kgs, lifted for 25 reps in 3 sets, which would total 3000 kgs. But still we get to grow muscle with less weight in the end. How does that happen?

My theory is that you need to break and tear muscles in order to make them grow. How do you do that? Exactly – by stressing them over their limits. However, if you can do this many reps, then you are not giving them enough stress, and hence they do not grow bigger. All you develop this way is endurance.

There are different types of muscle fibres. Those which are worked by lower weights and higher reps are more of an endurance type. So even though your maths is correct it's a low intensity style.

The less reps and higher weight = the same amount leads to a greater stimulus for muscle growth.

Top Bottom