Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why do you powerlift? What is the point of strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSAlexSS said:
Hello all.

Please answer this simple question.
---------
What is the point of strength? Whats the point on powerlifter other than ruining your joints?
------------

I understand bodybuilding, atleast you look good for the beach.
Sure as a bodybuilder you probably aint that strong as a plifter, but atleast people can "suspect" that you lift alot. You dont have to wear funky bench shirt or write "I benched 600 pounds yesterday", people see your big muscles and automaticly assume that, right or wrong.

Sure you might be Ed Coan when it comes to lifts, but to other people you are just one big fat dude(at least some pl are that way), when you are out of the gym for 165 hours. Ok strength might be important to an athlete, but many plifters dont engage in any outside activities - it might lower their bench press.

Any ideas?

P.S. any negative replies would just reinforce certain images and notions about weight trainers. \\

thanks

Well I am going to reply to this seriously seeing as I love powerlifting.

You seem to be implying that you cannot look at a true powerlifter and see that he lifts alot. I have yet to meet a decent powerlifter that does not possess great thickness.......thickness that bodybuilders cannot emulate. The best back that I ever saw was on a 198lb powerlifter who was 5'11"........it was thick and wide.

I would like to see you look Powerlifterjay in the eye whilst you told him that his 19 1/2' arms were small. The Mann allegedly has a serious set of arms too. You can tell these people lift big......it isn't an illusion.

Have you ever been to a powerlifting meet?? Do it.......you will be suprised at the physiques of the competitors.

In short......you have made assumptions about powerlifters that don't stand up to scrutiny.

Lastly, you imply that powerlifters only train for 3 hours each week.......uhhhhhmmmmm ok. Now go to the powerlifting board and ask for examples of westside routines.

Hell Yea

I believe there are pics of both the bro's out there, in no time they'd kick ass in a bodybuilder competition

Re: Re: Why do you powerlift? What is the point of strength?

Imnotdutch said:

Well I am going to reply to this seriously seeing as I love powerlifting.

You seem to be implying that you cannot look at a true powerlifter and see that he lifts alot. I have yet to meet a decent powerlifter that does not possess great thickness.......thickness that bodybuilders cannot emulate. The best back that I ever saw was on a 198lb powerlifter who was 5'11"........it was thick and wide.

I would like to see you look Powerlifterjay in the eye whilst you told him that his 19 1/2' arms were small. The Mann allegedly has a serious set of arms too. You can tell these people lift big......it isn't an illusion.

Have you ever been to a powerlifting meet?? Do it.......you will be suprised at the physiques of the competitors.

In short......you have made assumptions about powerlifters that don't stand up to scrutiny.

Lastly, you imply that powerlifters only train for 3 hours each week.......uhhhhhmmmmm ok. Now go to the powerlifting board and ask for examples of westside routines.

Wowowo hold it pal.

I didnt say that ALL powerlifters are out of shape. Sure there are great in shape powerlifters out there, but for every genetic freak there are 10 out of shape pls.

I seen some major world record brake (some brent guy i think, squates 1055 or so pounds), that guy was FAT and I mean it. His facial style was pretty weird too. If it wasnt a meet and his squat,
you couldmnt tell that he even lifts weights. He looked like an alcoholic, not to make fun of him or his lift - but thats mine opinion and (99% of all other people's opinion).

ok fine alex, you made your point. Some of the elite lifters may look like they dont lift, but if you look closer, you'll see the thickness they possess under the chub, and the true size they have. kinda like an offseason bodybuilder... But that doesnt matter how they look on the platform, it all matters how they perform. You are entitled to your opinion, we are entitled to ours. Everyone who has replied tastefully has made a good point in favor of their arguement.

I think weightlifting/bodybuilding all comes down to the type of person you are...do you live life for how other people perceive you or do you live life for yourself and to be a good person all around? Same goes in the sport, are you doing this for the ladies at the beach or are you doing this as a hobby/goal/competitive nature/etc...

YOU ask why do we powerlift well the reason is b/c people do something for the reason that they like it. I've injured myself twice in Powerlifting and I'm only 17 years old, BUT guess what I bet you I can stil take your pussy ass b/c I train for strength and not to look good. Granted I'm not one of those powerlifters that are fat I'm in decent condition But I stil keep up with my boxing and I'll KO your ass anytime you ask for it.

Deciever said:
ok fine alex, you made your point. Some of the elite lifters may look like they dont lift, but if you look closer, you'll see the thickness they possess under the chub, and the true size they have. kinda like an offseason bodybuilder... in favor of their arguement.

I know about muscle under fat. But what about 99% of people out there who dont work out? They see the fat face, fat gut and "big" extremeties, and they do assume that you are just fat.

I mean there has to be some other deeper reason than just "i want to bench 600 pounds and iwn that 5 dollar trophy".

Yeh the question is a bit complex. What you are all saying is "powerlifting is mine sport because it makes me happy and I like to compete kind thing". Nothing wrong with that except it is kinda shallow.

Anyways this topic is getting out of hand.

Last edited:
SSAlexSS said:

I know about muscle under fat. But what about 99% of people out there who dont work out? They see the fat face, fat gut and "big" extremeties, and they do assume that you are just fat.

So? Who cares. We don't powerlift so people will come up to us and say "oh, he must workout" or "look at those abs". That's what insecure little homos like yourself do....and unfortunately for you, you do it poorly.

Most of our reasons for lifting are better than yours. Your reasons are very shallow and show that you need the approval of others to feel good about yourself. Ours is about setting goals and accomplishing them...for ourselves.

Look at it however you want...either way you are a homo.

SSAlexSS said:

I mean there has to be some other deeper reason than just "i want to bench 600 pounds and iwn that 5 dollar trophy".

Yeh the question is a bit complex. What you are all saying is "powerlifting is mine sport because it makes me happy and I like to compete kind thing". Nothing wrong with that except it is kinda shallow.

Anyways this topic is getting out of hand.

I'll answer your questions for the THIRD time man...

Even though you are a Troll and your questions shouldn't be answered...I'll use your post to state my opinion.

"About joints, heavy weights lifted over prolonged times WILL ruin your joints. Might not happen in your 20s 30s but when you are over 40 and had years of powerlifting, you joints will start to ach."
.....How many 40 year olds don't have aches?????

"Why do most world class plifters retire so quickly?"
.....Because after they reach their peak...they are no longer at a world class level. It doesn't mean that they are not still good...they have just passed their world-class peak.

"Most athletes (especially heavy weight training athletes) do become invalids in their late life (if you can call that)."
.....Such as who? Is weight training the culprit or is just plain old older age?

"Many heavy weights barely walk without heavy breathing problems, sweat at even most mundane tasks, and lack some serious stamina."
.....Sounds like a pro bodybuilder....

"Not to insult anyone, but how will these guys be able to move while they are in their 60s?"
.....Sounds like a bodybuilder will have the same problem...IF they live to the age of 60.....

"Squating 800 pounds often, deadlifting 900 pounds, benching 600 pounds, now that out make someone crippled (after certain age)."
.....Really...like who? Test, dbol, adrol, deca, GH, 'slin, drip, etc upon etc...will those "cripple" a bodybuilder after a certain age?

"You might not expereince this now, but later when your joints are no longer so young and your heart isnt up to par.... hmmmm./.... Can we say NUBAIN?"
.....Hmmmm...sounds like a pro bodybuilder to me also. Nubain is probably just the tip of the iceberg in bodybuilding...just the tip.

Do you really want to know why I strength train? Why do I NOT bodybuild? Why do I not bodybuild to look good for the chicks at the beach? .......

Because I am not so conceited that I give a rip about what some snot nosed bratty chicky thinks of my delts or the peak on my arms or how my abs look. I am not that shallow and would like to think that most pro bodybuilders aren't either...but maybe I am wrong. If a woman can't look inside me and know me for me...then screw her...I don't need any part of her or anyone else if they only like me for my body!!!! I am confident in myself and my body...I don't have to be "ripped for the summer" just to go to the beach...I am proud of who I am WITHOUT seeing my abs or the cross-striations in my quads.

I don't feel the need to look good in a mirror...I have an inner desire that can not be explained in words. People can see it in your eyes...if you have the same inner feeling inside of you. We have that desire, that burn, that need. If a woman, or anyone else, needs more from me than that...I have no need for anyone that shallow either.

B True

b fold the truth said:

I'll answer your questions for the THIRD time man...

Even though you are a Troll and your questions shouldn't be answered...I'll use your post to state my opinion.

"About joints, heavy weights lifted over prolonged times WILL ruin your joints. Might not happen in your 20s 30s but when you are over 40 and had years of powerlifting, you joints will start to ach."
.....How many 40 year olds don't have aches?????

"Why do most world class plifters retire so quickly?"
.....Because after they reach their peak...they are no longer at a world class level. It doesn't mean that they are not still good...they have just passed their world-class peak.

"Most athletes (especially heavy weight training athletes) do become invalids in their late life (if you can call that)."
.....Such as who? Is weight training the culprit or is just plain old older age?

"Many heavy weights barely walk without heavy breathing problems, sweat at even most mundane tasks, and lack some serious stamina."
.....Sounds like a pro bodybuilder....

"Not to insult anyone, but how will these guys be able to move while they are in their 60s?"
.....Sounds like a bodybuilder will have the same problem...IF they live to the age of 60.....

"Squating 800 pounds often, deadlifting 900 pounds, benching 600 pounds, now that out make someone crippled (after certain age)."
.....Really...like who? Test, dbol, adrol, deca, GH, 'slin, drip, etc upon etc...will those "cripple" a bodybuilder after a certain age?

"You might not expereince this now, but later when your joints are no longer so young and your heart isnt up to par.... hmmmm./.... Can we say NUBAIN?"
.....Hmmmm...sounds like a pro bodybuilder to me also. Nubain is probably just the tip of the iceberg in bodybuilding...just the tip.

Do you really want to know why I strength train? Why do I NOT bodybuild? Why do I not bodybuild to look good for the chicks at the beach? .......

Because I am not so conceited that I give a rip about what some snot nosed bratty chicky thinks of my delts or the peak on my arms or how my abs look. I am not that shallow and would like to think that most pro bodybuilders aren't either...but maybe I am wrong. If a woman can't look inside me and know me for me...then screw her...I don't need any part of her or anyone else if they only like me for my body!!!! I am confident in myself and my body...I don't have to be "ripped for the summer" just to go to the beach...I am proud of who I am WITHOUT seeing my abs or the cross-striations in my quads.

I don't feel the need to look good in a mirror...I have an inner desire that can not be explained in words. People can see it in your eyes...if you have the same inner feeling inside of you. We have that desire, that burn, that need. If a woman, or anyone else, needs more from me than that...I have no need for anyone that shallow either.

B True

Damn I hate this browser. I had a long reply to all those questions and I lost it (browser crashed). I going to type it last time now.

1) How many 40 year olds don't have aches?????
Those who didn’t lift heavy weights don’t experience aches. If those guys were smart enough to pick badminton or something like that instead of power lifting, chances are their joints aren’t as bad as yours. Look inside of joints of healthy and FIT person and compare it to unfit power lifter, well, you get the idea.

2)"Because after they reach their peak...they are no longer at a world class level. It doesn't mean that they are not still good...they have just passed their world-class peak. "

Mine reply is. There you go, they reached their peak and now they are heading downhill. Squatting and dead lifting in excess of 800 pounds, I think you are getting a drift about what kind of joints and arthritis they'll end up with.

3).....Hmmmm...sounds like a pro bodybuilder to me also. Nubain is probably just the tip of the iceberg in bodybuilding...just the tip
Yes. Many Pros take ecstasy nubain and other chemicals. Yes that is the tip of an iceberg. But loosing breathe, inability to run or walk properly, poor joints later on - that is just a tip of an iceberg for powerlifers too.

4or5).....Sounds like a pro bodybuilder....
True, but at least most pros wouldn’t suffer as much joint pain later in their life. Bodybuilders look better and get paid better.
Hockey is the best IMO though... (and no, I don’t play hockey. If I did I would be at NHL then not at this crappy char and desk)

6).....Such as who? Is weight training the culprit or is just plain old older age?
Weight training is the culprit. Healthy weight training should enhance your physical ability, not diminish it.
A guy who was an elite heavy weight athlete going to have elite heavy weight problems later in life. A guy who was smart
enough to take up hockey or badminton instead, would be running around till his 90s or so. A serious body/power lifter will
end up being a cripple from brutality early on his life. If your friend mutilates your legs, would it or your running ability be
the culprit or the abuse that you took? Don’t get me wrong, weight lifting is super healthy when taken in MODERATION.
However power lifting is extreme. It is one thing to squat 315 pounds. it is quite different to squat 800 pounds.

7) yes test and clen and other chemicals will probably cripple a bodybuilder, but at least his joints are not so bad.

I am not conceited and you know, that type of person. No I am very modest and make sure I cover up
myself well wherever I go. I don’t body build primary for chicks, but that is a big bonus when I need to.
"Hey you [saying to the chick] feel mine twin peaks. After she feels em, I say. Hard eh? Can I feel your twin peaks??"
Or being huge(muscular wise) would be a great job opportunity. Shave your head, grow a mustache and become a bouncer.
When you reach high level you could go on the stage and kicks ass. I have lots of ideas for my posing routine.
As a powerlfiter what can you do? Carry those kegs? I don’t think that that pays well. You cant be a personal trainer to majority of people,
heck I would pay my son to stay away from you. Hehehe.

I am pissed off for my computer turning off and loosing all my hard work.

Powerlifting = no reward.
Bodybuilding, there is reward. (Not as much as hockey, but oh well, I am too old to start to learn how to skate and prepare for NHL.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom