Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why do you powerlift? What is the point of strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1-dawg said:
I am really going to regret this but I will answer your question. WHy?? Because it is a personal challange that interests me. Running a marathon would also be a personal challenge but it does not interest me in the least. I like the idea of being strong and having functional muscle. I do not know where you get the idea that powerlifting ruins joints but it really is no more true than saying all bb'ers are asspumpers. Wait, that's a bad example. BB'ing does nothing for me -- I don't want to get onstage all oiled up in my underwear so a bunch of "guys" can judge me. And, I really don;t want to sit and watch some bb;er on stage.

Thank you very much, you are truly smarter than some of the guys you hang out with on this board.

About joints, heavy weights lifted over prolonged times WILL ruin your joints. Might not happen in your 20s 30s but when you are over 40 and had years of powerlifting, you joints will start to ach.

Why do most world class plifters retire so quickly?

Most athletes (especially heavy weight training athletes) do become invalids in their late life (if you can call that).

Many heavy weights barely walk without heavy breathing problems, sweat at even most mundane tasks, and lack some serious stamina. Not to insult anyone, but how will these guys be able to move while they are in their 60s?
Squating 800 pounds often, deadlifting 900 pounds, benching 600 pounds, now that out make someone crippled (after certain age). You might not expereince this now, but later when your joints are no longer so young and your heart isnt up to par.... hmmmm./.... Can we say NUBAIN?

Again no critique of anyone in above paragraph.

Thats a pretty poor stereo type you got there SSAlexSS. Assuming that all powerlifters are fat , out of shape..etc is a big mis understanding . I've been powerlifting, i am in great shape, and im not a super heavy weight who has trouble breathing or walking around as you would say. And you ask why most powerlifters "retire " when they're older... some do , some dont. Ever hear of the masters division? And oh yeah, where are all the older bodybuilders who still compete?? Many older powerlifters still lift, but arent as well known as bigger guys like Ed coan, brent Mikesell, George Halbert....etc. Before you come onto our board, and making assumptions about the people here, dont say anything that is going to get you flamed. Alot of the people here have helped me out and really taught me alot. So if you would like, just take your stereotypical judgements, and keep them to yourselves about powerlifters.

I think he trys to get a rise out of people, and we gave him just that

sigh

everyone give him bad karma hehe

Deciever said:
Thats a pretty poor stereo type you got there SSAlexSS. Assuming that all powerlifters are fat , out of shape..etc is a big mis understanding . I've been powerlifting, i am in great shape, and im not a super heavy weight who has trouble breathing or walking around as you would say. And you ask why most powerlifters "retire " when they're older... some do , some dont. Ever hear of the masters division? And oh yeah, where are all the older bodybuilders who still compete?? Many older powerlifters still lift, but arent as well known as bigger guys like Ed coan, brent Mikesell, George Halbert....etc. Before you come onto our board, and making assumptions about the people here, dont say anything that is going to get you flamed. Alot of the people here have helped me out and really taught me alot. So if you would like, just take your stereotypical judgements, and keep them to yourselves about powerlifters.

I have said "some powerlifters are out of shape" . I have never said that ALL powerlifters are out of shape, ok?

benchmonster said:

Fuck you troll.

B.

Thank you very much druid. Unlike you I dont play Dungeons and Dragons, or some other real fantasy crap.

Hey, my friend got kicked out of XXX club because he was playing Dungeons&Dragons with his girlfriend...

Even though you are a Troll and your questions shouldn't be answered...I'll use your post to state my opinion.

"About joints, heavy weights lifted over prolonged times WILL ruin your joints. Might not happen in your 20s 30s but when you are over 40 and had years of powerlifting, you joints will start to ach."
.....How many 40 year olds don't have aches?????

"Why do most world class plifters retire so quickly?"
.....Because after they reach their peak...they are no longer at a world class level. It doesn't mean that they are not still good...they have just passed their world-class peak.

"Most athletes (especially heavy weight training athletes) do become invalids in their late life (if you can call that)."
.....Such as who? Is weight training the culprit or is just plain old older age?

"Many heavy weights barely walk without heavy breathing problems, sweat at even most mundane tasks, and lack some serious stamina."
.....Sounds like a pro bodybuilder....

"Not to insult anyone, but how will these guys be able to move while they are in their 60s?"
.....Sounds like a bodybuilder will have the same problem...IF they live to the age of 60.....

"Squating 800 pounds often, deadlifting 900 pounds, benching 600 pounds, now that out make someone crippled (after certain age)."
.....Really...like who? Test, dbol, adrol, deca, GH, 'slin, drip, etc upon etc...will those "cripple" a bodybuilder after a certain age?

"You might not expereince this now, but later when your joints are no longer so young and your heart isnt up to par.... hmmmm./.... Can we say NUBAIN?"
.....Hmmmm...sounds like a pro bodybuilder to me also. Nubain is probably just the tip of the iceberg in bodybuilding...just the tip.

Do you really want to know why I strength train? Why do I NOT bodybuild? Why do I not bodybuild to look good for the chicks at the beach? .......

Because I am not so conceited that I give a rip about what some snot nosed bratty chicky thinks of my delts or the peak on my arms or how my abs look. I am not that shallow and would like to think that most pro bodybuilders aren't either...but maybe I am wrong. If a woman can't look inside me and know me for me...then screw her...I don't need any part of her or anyone else if they only like me for my body!!!! I am confident in myself and my body...I don't have to be "ripped for the summer" just to go to the beach...I am proud of who I am WITHOUT seeing my abs or the cross-striations in my quads.

I don't feel the need to look good in a mirror...I have an inner desire that can not be explained in words. People can see it in your eyes...if you have the same inner feeling inside of you. We have that desire, that burn, that need. If a woman, or anyone else, needs more from me than that...I have no need for anyone that shallow either.

B True

SSAlexSS said:
Hello all.

Please answer this simple question.
---------
What is the point of strength? Whats the point on powerlifter other than ruining your joints?
------------

I understand bodybuilding, atleast you look good for the beach.
Sure as a bodybuilder you probably aint that strong as a plifter, but atleast people can "suspect" that you lift alot. You dont have to wear funky bench shirt or write "I benched 600 pounds yesterday", people see your big muscles and automaticly assume that, right or wrong.

Sure you might be Ed Coan when it comes to lifts, but to other people you are just one big fat dude(at least some pl are that way), when you are out of the gym for 165 hours. Ok strength might be important to an athlete, but many plifters dont engage in any outside activities - it might lower their bench press.

Any ideas?

P.S. any negative replies would just reinforce certain images and notions about weight trainers. \\

thanks

I'm just a recreational lifter, but I care about both my apprearence and my strength. You make it sound as if the sole reason to lift is for aesthetic purposes, to impress other people and the judges. For one thing, there are plenty of powerlifters with good physiques. Powerlifters want to impress and challenge THEMSELVES, not necessarily other people. Whatever, I gotta go, all these people ask is to open your mind a bit and try to see things from their point of view.

Last edited:
Alex, why do you do ANYTHING in life? The purpose of life is hapinness, and if powerlifting makes someone happy than they've lived well.

It's like running a marathon. Being good at basketball. Climbing mountains, being an expert philosopher, mathematician. NOTHING has an intrinsic value other than the abstract meaning we put on it ourselves.

Often it's not the the accomplishement but the voyage it took to get there which is important.

This is my attempt at being cordial with you. More than likely you'll resond with 'at least I'm intelligent, blah blah blah'

-Zulu

Re: Re: Why do you powerlift? What is the point of strength?

sysopt said:

I'm just a recreational lifter, but I care about both my apprearence and my strength. You make it sound as if the sole reason to lift is for aesthetic purposes, to impress other people and the judges. For one thing, there are plenty of powerlifters with good physiques. Powerlifters want to impress and challenge THEMSELVES, not necessarily other people. Whatever, I gotta go, all these people ask is to open your mind a bit and try to see things from their point of view.

Well if you put 100% effort into something, you should get more out of your efforts. Atleast when you train for aesthetics, people constantly see you and comment. That can be quite a reward when little kid says "Mommy I want to be like that", now that is a reward. A someone would say "sport needs to enhance life, not take away from it" .

Also another point. I never said that powerlifters have bad physiques, all I said is "some" powerlifters have big phisiques, big difference.

Atleast it is pleasant to the eye to watch at bodybuilder, cant say that for SOME powerlifters. Phisique athletes wear their sport and carry it with them, most powerlifters get confused for sumo wrestlers unless it is monday afternoon (workout time!!! yeh!!)

I would also like to thank you for not using vulgarities, I KNEW there were some intelligent and articulate powerlifters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom