Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why do some many pro-wrestlers live in Tampa, FL?

avenirup said:
I read a newspaper article (non wrestling publication) last year or so that the Warlord was forbidden to EVER go on tv again. Apparently he had some kind of legal troubles as he committed a no-no (they didn't say what) and he is only allowed to wrestle in non-televised events. That is why the WWE has shown no interest in him. He still has good mobility in the ring and such, even going back to using his old shoulder block from the top rope move. He wrestles against/with Kevin Sullivan and a few other 80 stars down here at the War Museum.

He said in the interview when he was with NWA/WCW he enjoyed that the most as his health was much better then. It was only after he went to the WWF that Vince split up the Powers of Pain which was one of the most popular tag teams then (they debuted as baby faces) that he saw there were some politics involved much worse than in NWA/WCW. He said the team was split up as not to threaten the veterans of the tag team scene.

He cannot be forbiden to ever go on TV. That is either made up or totally false. WWE has no interest because he is too old and really never got over as a singles wrestler. When he was in the Powers of Pain he was slightly over but never as a singles wrestler. Today, he could not keep up with the guys who are in the WWE like Benoit, Angle, Michaels, etc, etc...Like with all business - there are politics. In the late 80's it was more so in the WWE (then WWF) and in the 90's it was more so in WCW. But there have and always will be politics in wrestling. The Powers of Pain were split up because there was simply nothing left for them to do and Vince wanted to see what they could do own there own. Out of the two, The Barbarian was the more successful. Warlord was impressive looking and had a slightly successful run with the Powers of Pain in the late 80's, very early 90's but really that was about it.

No joke. The interview specifically spelled out how he stated that he was not allowed to appear on television ever again. He said that was why he never pursued opportunities in the WCW again or ECW. He even alluded to the fact that he was unable to travel outside the U.S. for opportunities in Japan or Mexico.

I am going to try to find that article. It was done in the The City Link newspaper down here. They show cased Backyard wrestling and then had an interview with him the next week.

AAP said:
No joke. The interview specifically spelled out how he stated that he was not allowed to appear on television ever again. He said that was why he never pursued opportunities in the WCW again or ECW. He even alluded to the fact that he was unable to travel outside the U.S. for opportunities in Japan or Mexico.

I am going to try to find that article. It was done in the The City Link newspaper down here. They show cased Backyard wrestling and then had an interview with him the next week.

I totally believe you about the article. I am just saying that somethings that were written may not have been the total truth. Hulk Hogan has the same problem, he goes on Bubba the love Sponge and fabricates a lot of things.

the majority of the wcw shows in the mid 90's were taped in orlando, so that may have something to do with so many guys living in tampa.

Tampa is definitely the place for wrestlers or at least Florida.

Tampa (and surrounding parts) has:
Macho Man Randy Savage
Hulk Hogan
Jimmy Hart
B. Brian Blair
Brutus Beefcake
The Big Show
Hawk
Dirty Dick Slater

Chris Jericho I believe lives in Orlando.
Edge (can someone confirm) lives in Tampa.
Scott Hall lives around Orlando.
The Rock still lives in Davie, FL which is a little west of FTL.
The Warlord trains at Mike Ashley's gym off of Powerline and Sample Rd in Pompano.

At one point I thought Scott Steiner was recovering from a neck injury in Sebastian, FL but of course that might have been an angle (he may still live in Atlanta). I also heard Kevin Nash lived in Daytona for a bit.

I can assure you, being former friend and partners of Edge, Christian, Jericho, Storm and many other Cnadian wrestling talent, that the main reason is the lack of state tax. Being Canadian, they already get dinged enough here.
As far as Warlord goes, I was always a fan of the monsters like Warlord, Road Warriors, Ultimate Warrior, etc... He was so jakked at on time that the cameramen and guys in the tv truck were told to avoid getting back shots of him, as his acne was so bad, they could in no way avoid the steroid allegation...LOL

Top Bottom