Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why do so many people hate smith machine?

all it is good for is for me to hang my knee wraps and belt on....

Since your a powerlifter you dont really need the smith machine since it doesnt increase free weight strength, but it really does a good job to build slabs of muscle mass, i dont care what anyone says, its a great machine that allows you to handle heavy weight and really focus on the muscle being worked..

Steve_ I do it like that when I do front Squats. Never tried it the other way. May give a shoot next time.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

It sucks. It takes great lifts like military press, squats, and rows and makes you isolate single muscles. It does NOT let your body follow it's natural pattern, you just think that because you've been using it so long. It does however let you use more weight, but how functional is that? A person who can squat 500 on the smith couldn't even approach the 400's on a regular oly bar. Far more strength, muscle control, and total muscles are being used with regular bars compared to smith machine. Since you're comparing the two, I assume you have plenty of experience on both sides of the fence here?

you will get better overall development with free weights guys... you just cant argue that...
there is more than just chest tri back bi legs and shoulders, tons of smaller supporting muscles that get worked half-assed, if not totally neglected from using this thing...
you cant lift more weight on a smith as well... keep in mind the bar practically weighs nothing as it is totally supported by the rack... and when you squat (not sure about all lifts, but many years ago i squatted and pressed on one) you lean back against it, so a lot of the weight is absorbed by the rack due to friction....

I use it for standing calf raises since there's no calf machine at my gym, that's the only exercise I consistently it it for.. I throw in smith machine shrugs every so often too, I seem to get a better ROM vs regular BB Shrugs.

I Would never use it for a big lift like bench, squats, bent over rows etc

I know it doesnt work the stabilizer muscle, thats why its so great, you can really focus on the muscle being worked instead of having to balance the bar like free weight.. Also it follow my body's natural range of motion great, just place the bench where you want it, Incline smith has made my chest so sore that i could not achieve it with free weight.

If this is what you believe, more power to you bro. You use your smith machine til the day you die. If you can't get sore from free weights, you probably aren't lifting enough weight, or you just don't know what your doing. That is hard to believe and makes no sense at all.

Trying to convince us that the smith machine is better then free weights wont get you very far and you wont get many followers. Now this doesn't mean I don't use the smith machine, but it is probably 15-20 percent of my lifts.

This is like trying to convince me McDonalds has the best cheeseburger in the world, we all know that is bs right.

well i also believe that the free weights r way better then the smith machine
but the mcds cheeseburger is the best in the world ;)

well i also believe that the free weights r way better then the smith machine
but the mcds cheeseburger is the best in the world ;)

too funny, I will give it best double cheeseburger for a dollar

Top Bottom