Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why am I struggling with higher reps?

ronki23

my 5RM / 1RM are:

Bench 135lb, 145lb
Overhead Press 80lb, 95lb
Squat: 205lb,220lb
Deadlift: 210lb, 220lb
Row: 80lb, 100lb
Power Clean:80lb,95lb

But my higher rep maxes are weaker- for lower body I do around 12 and 10 for upper body

Bench 110lb x 8
Overhead 75lb*
Squat 160x 12
Deadlift 160x8*
Row 70lbx 10
Clean and Press 75lb x 8

* I've been doing higher volume- Arnold Schwarzenegger's beginner workout 3x a week instead of 6x a week

Are my Deadlifts and push press (I only do it on Arnold's; on 3x5 I do strict) weak because Deadlifts are done after a set of 50 rep chins and barbell rows??

Is my push press weak because of my clean and press earlier?

And my bicep curls are weak; on 3x5 I couldn't even curl 45lb for 8 reps and now my curls are 40lb for 8

That happens to everyone, more reps means less weight.

I know but this is a huge difference; going from 5RM down to 10RM is as much as 45lb difference (around 25lb for upper body and 45 for lower)

And when I was lighter I could do 30 push ups or 20 on my fist; but when I worked for strength and size and only did bench press for chest my fist push ups were only 6 reps and I struggled with 10 normal ones
Blur I can't bench bodyweight yet

How old are you, like 6? These numbers belong to my kid sister.

If you DL 210 for 5 there is no way your 1RM is 220. You need to lift heavier weights, which will allow you to learn the correct way to prepare before a lift and how to leverage your body to actually lift heavier than a 5RM.

How old are you, like 6? These numbers belong to my kid sister.

If you DL 210 for 5 there is no way your 1RM is 220. You need to lift heavier weights, which will allow you to learn the correct way to prepare before a lift and how to leverage your body to actually lift heavier than a 5RM.

160 is my 10RM
210 is my 5RM
220 is my 2RM

Same as squats

Bench is 115 for 10
140 for 5
150 for 2

That is pretty standard. 70% of your 1RM is roughly for 10 reps and you are doing roughly 75% for 8 reps on your bench press. So you are fine.

That happens to everyone, more reps means less weight.

Does it vary by person? Because my squats are 160 for 10 but 200 for 5. But I get tired when I am for 20 reps on blank bar warm ups. Even warming up for calf raises I get tired but with barbell I do 115lbx15.

And I can't bench bodyweight and only did 10 push ups but last year when I did only Bodyweight exercises and wrestle I could do 20 fist push ups. In 2009 I could do 30 push ups. But I was lighter and weaker then.

I only do jiu jitsu once a week for cardio though-perhaps poor cardio?

Or is it I neglected the slow twitch muscles?

Deadlifts are awful though-I can do 225 for 2 or 210x5 but after doing 50 reps on lat pull down followed by rows (80x10,6,4) I could only do 160 x 12. As mentioned my rows are crap too because I do 90x5 normally

High rep training is different then one rep max. 20 reps in a set is a totally different ball game. I do high reps at times just to shock my body and do endurance training but that will not help strength at all. Period. If you're going for one rep max that is a different way to train and it doesn't involve 20 reps of anything.

Top Bottom