Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Who has used the 5x5 workout program and what were your results?

Arabian

Elite Mentor
Platinum
I am researching new and different plans because I have been doing a 3 day split for over a year now and I want to try something different for mass. 2 friends on here have recommended the 5x5 program however it seems basic and Im wondering how it isolates and works other muscles like your traps,biceps, triceps and chest. Thanks

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B
Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5 Deadlift 1x5

I used the 5x5 january thru march this year. I had the biggest jump in strength on flat bench and squats. It was rough at the beginning but week 4 started to gey excited with results
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I just finished 12 weeks on the SL 5x5. I have had great results with it on cycle actually. I have increased on all my compound lifts. My physique is looking great. I had hernia surgery a year ago and all my lifts had dropped dramatically. I used this program to get back to the weights I needed to be lifting. The down side of this program to me is that my lower back took a thrashing every week. However I have gotten used to it now. They say this is a beginner routine and all that but I would have to disagree with that. While it may be great for a beginner, I increased every single workout. I have had better results with this than the tiring BS bodybuilding splits I have always run in the past. The whole back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders, legs routine never gave me the results I have achieved with the SL 5x5. I did add in an accessory day for bi's and tri's on tuesday and it worked well. Hope this helps you bro with your decision. Good luck!

Hey bro Arab gr8 question.
I have done the SL program a couple of times and I have to say I love it. And I will continue to use this espicially for mass and strength gains.

"Im wondering how it isolates and works other muscles like your traps,biceps, triceps and chest."

Simple answer bro, IT DOSNT!:) And thats the beauty of the program.
Your traps are getting bashed real good in your bent over BBL rows and so are your biceps.Your traps are also getting hit on your bench and overhead pressing.
Your triceps are getting hit in all of the pressing that you will be doing. And your chest is getting hit dam hard in the bench of course and also in your overhead pressing.

You have to remember a couple of very basic things here bro. In doing compound lifts you are lifting waaaay more weight then you would be in isolation type work. More/ bigger weight = more muscle damage=bigger muscles!

Also your bod was ment to work together as a whole unit. Not with parts isolated. Think about in real life how you do things. When you lift something how often do you only use your bicep? When you pull something how often do you only use your lats? You see in real life you use compound joints and muscles in everythng you do, cuz thats how our bodies work.

I am gonna challenge you to the same that I do a few others on here bro.

My challenge to you is this.
You run this program a measly 25 weeks. 12 weeks on, Break for a week. And 12 more weeks on.
You put up beginning pics and ending pics and you put up a log.
If you do all of this and are not happy and amazed with your results then I will buy you the cycle of your choice.
Your thought plz.:)

I just finished 12 weeks on the SL 5x5. I have had great results with it on cycle actually. I have increased on all my compound lifts. My physique is looking great. I had hernia surgery a year ago and all my lifts had dropped dramatically. I used this program to get back to the weights I needed to be lifting. The down side of this program to me is that my lower back took a thrashing every week. However I have gotten used to it now. They say this is a beginner routine and all that but I would have to disagree with that. While it may be great for a beginner, I increased every single workout. I have had better results with this than the tiring BS bodybuilding splits I have always run in the past. The whole back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders, legs routine never gave me the results I have achieved with the SL 5x5. I did add in an accessory day for bi's and tri's on tuesday and it worked well. Hope this helps you bro with your decision. Good luck!

Thanks, I am definitely going to try it.

Hey bro Arab gr8 question.
I have done the SL program a couple of times and I have to say I love it. And I will continue to use this espicially for mass and strength gains.

"Im wondering how it isolates and works other muscles like your traps,biceps, triceps and chest."

Simple answer bro, IT DOSNT!:) And thats the beauty of the program.
Your traps are getting bashed real good in your bent over BBL rows and so are your biceps.Your traps are also getting hit on your bench and overhead pressing.
Your triceps are getting hit in all of the pressing that you will be doing. And your chest is getting hit dam hard in the bench of course and also in your overhead pressing.

You have to remember a couple of very basic things here bro. In doing compound lifts you are lifting waaaay more weight then you would be in isolation type work. More/ bigger weight = more muscle damage=bigger muscles!

Also your bod was ment to work together as a whole unit. Not with parts isolated. Think about in real life how you do things. When you lift something how often do you only use your bicep? When you pull something how often do you only use your lats? You see in real life you use compound joints and muscles in everythng you do, cuz thats how our bodies work.

I am gonna challenge you to the same that I do a few others on here bro.

My challenge to you is this.
You run this program a measly 25 weeks. 12 weeks on, Break for a week. And 12 more weeks on.
You put up beginning pics and ending pics and you put up a log.

I am going to do this. I have been researching this and other programs instead of my 3 day split. Thanks for all your replies

Im currently on week 9 of madcows 5x5 and i have seen my squat go up 70 lbs,deadlift 35 lbs,bench 25,bentover row30 lbs.I have been lifting since 1998 doing "bodybuilding splits" and have never gotten the results that i am now getting from 5x5.I can see results in the mirror as well.One thing I noticed about the program is that it forced me to learn proper technique in order to keep progressing.You also need to eat a lot to keep making gains.

Yep fosho on that snyper. YOU must FEED this program to get the full benefit from it. Your bod will want to compensate for the weights you lifting by growing muscle. If you dont eat to do this you are sunk before you begin.
Arab you are a lean guy to start out with so you might consider 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

Hey Arab when you planning on starting?
Really looking forward to following your log bro!

I did it from Feb to July of this year.

Squat - 170x5 to 305x5
Deadlift - 185x5 to 340x5
Bench - 145x5 to 205x5
BB Press - 80x5 to 135x5

I couldn't bench for a couple of months during this time, so I could have easily added more.

I was really skinny when I started. People consider me a big boy now. In reality I'm not (went from 170ish to about 200), but the point is I did get a lot bigger. I did get a little too fat, but that really doesn't have to do with the workout. I saw the most growth in my legs and traps. My chest and arms did grow, but like I said, I couldn't bench for a long time. I have since changed routines, and I'm cutting. I've dropped to about 185 and I'm still keeping my gains for the most part. I think 5x5 is a great place to start.

Top Bottom