Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Who feels bodybuilding has ruined strength training in America??

First of all, I consider myself a strength athlete. I train for functional strength and to enhance my athletic attributes. I love Olympic Lifting, Strongman Comps, Powerlifting, and any kind of plyo or sport-specific stuff. I hae no problem with bodybuilding, I just never understood why anyone would like it, BUT to each their own, who am I to say BB is retarded??

But, I am posting this because I read an article in Ironman (the only mainstream mag I will pick up because of the Bill Starr column). The article was by CS Sloan and it said BB has ruined strength training in America. I agreed with some points, and disagreed with others (mainly his ideas or lack thereof on nutrition).

Basically he was saying that mainstream publications and the Weider Principles, and HIT, while they may be effective BB tools, they do jack shit for a strength athlete. Also, the fact that people almost get brainwashed by this crap, including coaches and young athletes, leads to improper strength training progras all across America.

I agree with him. Look across the country. How many high school football players do you see doing 3 sets of 10 all yr on bench?? How many do you see doing fucking cable crossovers?? or following some fucking retarded program in that rag Flex that Jay Cutler uses?? or how many so-called coaches have no fucking clue what these kids SHOULD be doing? How many kids think the ONLY meaning of a snatch is in reference to a part of the female anatomy???

I don't know why this is. It could be society, a society where the majority of people value appearance or in my opinion, the illusion of strength over functional strength. I have heard so many people say something like "I don't care if I can squat the bar, I just wanna look like I can do a ton"....thats horse shit in my opinion.

Another reason could be what is just pushed down people's throats. Go to any news isle and what do you see....FLEX, MuscleMag, Mens Fitness.....What will you never see? MILO. It could be just what most people are exposed to, these kids don't know any better, and neitherdo their coaches.

I am not knocking bodybuilding, but BB has VERY different goals that sport-specific training and strength training, and I see so many athletes training like bodybuilders and thinkng like bodybuilders just simple because they don't know any better and the people they look up to know even less.

I don't want this t turn into a flame fest, it is something I have always thought on some level, and the article I read made it click and legitimized it.

So....I wanna hear eevryone's input....no matter who you are or how you train.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT

Bodybuilding publication has brought training years backwards. There are a few articles by a D.B. Hammer at elitefts.com if this stuff interests you. I belive Louie Simmons himself has stated that exact sentiment.

I wouldn't say it's ruined strength training. The general publics view of "health" is looking like a fitness model or a bodybuilder. Society is hung up on looks rather than function.

As an example, the only people I hear commenting on how "big" I am getting with a positive tone, is this board. The rest of the world see's me a getting fat. (My BF% is about the same as it always has been.) But since I don't look like a bodybuilder, they can't see it. They also can't understand why I get irritated if I lose 2-3 pounds.

It;s just the general publics perception of "health". The media has created the "problem". It's not going away.....that's why I value this board more and more.......

Joker

I wouldn't say it's ruined strength training. The general publics view of "health" is looking like a fitness model or a bodybuilder. Society is hung up on looks rather than function.

1000% agreement with this. With the introduction of technology and all the communication, people became lazy, immobile and the fast food doesn't help either.

A normal casual person who just wants to keep a normal "175 pound" look doesnt need to resort to deadlifts, squats, 300+ lb benches or other strength exercises.... its simply not in their interest. Its so common on this board to jump on any person who isnt doing squats or deads because the people who dominate this place are very serious, otherwise they wouldn't be here discussing even the smallest specifics like "what grip for bench"

I have to admit that this board is huge motivation for me. Right now i am eating ice cream because I am preparing for my double workout after tomorrow. I want to set new PR's.. I want to get stronger.. no one will know about it except me, and the people who read my training journal. However the people who do read it and give me encouragements.. like bfold,coolj,ironlion,spatts,joker, well all regulars... they all give me fire to continue to get stronger, instead of dieting my ass off and getting weaker as I usually do during the summer

BTW, BBBD....... how is your Ironlion's program going.... you said you would post a training journal... you still on it?

Joker, I agree with what you said about the public's perception of what a person who works out "should" look like. I find that as a whole, the general public doesn't know a lot of detail about ANYTHING. But, I was mainly referring to how BB publications have set back sport-specific training and strength training, even powerlifting in the US.

For example, college kids are home for the summer, and a lot of them joined up at the gym where I work out at. A good deal of them play football. The one guy is an O-lineman at a D 3 school, and he was doing hammer strength inclines and pec deck. Not because he is a shit head, but because he simply doesn't know any better because he prolly picked up a FLEX magazine and saw a big strapping stud like Chris Cormier doing it, and his coaches grew up reading the weider principles an they know no better. The fucking pec deck is to bring out detail and striations in a pre-contest BB, the ONLY reason a football player has to even touch a pec deck is if he trips and falls and uses it to catch his balance.

Seriously, If strength training publications were made as widely available as BB mags, and if O-lifting and powerlifting were more mainstream, I think this could change. I look at training programs from the fucking 1950's and 60's and they're more sound than the crap a lot of people are doing these days. I honestly feel BB has fucked up strength training and sport-specific training and caused it to regress.

I actually read almost all your posts on this site, I believe you from your sheer practical experience. I am doing the same program, a little modified to remove most of olympic lifts, and yea you're right, it hits your traps like nothing before, from I to IV!! I have soreness in the middle of my back, I never had that before with regular shrugs. But post up some videos or pics, looking forward

It is going well revex.....I have my double session on tap for tomorrow too, and my traps are still sore from cleaning yesterday.....I'll post some workouts as soon as I get a cam to take pics, because I will have to hear shit from the guys who can't do my weights in their dreams, therefore they don't believe anyone can be stronger than the guys at Balley's, so the pics should shut them up......it'll give me more credibility anyway, so when I get pics, which should be within 2 weeks, I will post a journal.....but the program is awesome.

Top Bottom