Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

while in ketosis does cardio only burn fat since its protien sparing?

N

nclifter6feet6

is there any differnent effect on the body while in ketosis when doing cardio. is it more efficiant at burning fat, since ketosis is protien sparing???????/

Being in ketosis means you will likely burn more fat and less glucose during low intensity cardio. Your body does not have to work as hard to begin burning fat, as your body has already mobilized a lot of fat, ingested a lot of fat, and gotten used to the idea that carbohydrates are not going to be ingested anytime soon. You will be using fat and very little glycogen/glucose from the beginning.

If you do anything more than low intensity cardio, your body will use glucose. This means you will convert some amino acids and some glycerol to glucose. During ketosis, take some very long walks, or just increase your overall activity level. This will increase your fat burning with less effect on glucose metabolism.

so are you saying with high intesisty cardio i wont burn as much fat????im confused bro

If you are eating carbs, high intensity cardio will, in my opinion, burn just as much fat as low intensity. Although high intensity cardio seems to inhibit fatty-acid mobilization and metabolism during actual exercise, it seems to cause a massive post-exercise fatty-acid mobilization. Basically, you burn carbs during high intensity cardio and burn more fat later on because of it. For about an hour after some high intensity cardio, your body is metabolizing fat to replenish intra-muscular triglycerides and other recuperate.

If you are in ketosis, you are not eating very many carbs. High intensity cardio *requires* glucose/glycogen because of the muscle fiber type used. This means that you should not do high intensity cardio while in ketosis --- your body will catabolize a lot of muscle in the process of obtaining glucose from amino acids and glycerol (cortisol and glucagon). This will not happen as much with low intensity cardio in ketosis, because you will be using mostly type 1 (oxidative) muscle fibers that can more easily burn fatty acids.

Likewise, if you are in ketosis for a long time and try to lift weights with very low muscle glycogen, you will be weak and lose lots of muscle. Your muscles rely almost exclusively on glycogen while lifting, so you will be weak. Your muscles *cannot* use ketones for energy. Your type 2 fibers (ones you use most for lifting) have a very difficult time utilizing fatty-acids. Lifting will make your muscles even hungrier for glucose (thereby lowering your blood-sugar and causing cortisol and glucagon release), and gluconeogenesis (cortisol and glucagon) will eat your muscles. This is why a non-stop ketogenic diet will destroy your muscles. A cyclical ketogenic diet will allow you to train because of temporarily elevated glycogen levels.

So, if you are ketosis avoid high intensity anything unless your muscle glycogen is high from a recent carb-up. Don't lift when your glycogen is really low.

Low intensity cardio is great while in ketosis, it simply increases your caloric expenditure without causing too much catabolism. Fast walking or very slow jogging is fine.

huh....

I don't get it...(maybe I'm just a dumbass). I figure that if you're in ketosis for an extended period of time, and, you train with weights and do high intensity cardio...you will burn fat at a faster rate than you would if you did "carb-ups". Seeing how you are constantly in ketosis, you will be burning fat constantly. Yes, you will lose muscle. But won't the fat-loss far outweigh the muscle you lose during this time? If this isn't the case...I've been under the wrong impression ...and...I'm going to literally kick my ass.

Re: huh....

MASSIVEmorris said:
I don't get it...(maybe I'm just a dumbass). I figure that if you're in ketosis for an extended period of time, and, you train with weights and do high intensity cardio...you will burn fat at a faster rate than you would if you did "carb-ups". Seeing how you are constantly in ketosis, you will be burning fat constantly. Yes, you will lose muscle. But won't the fat-loss far outweigh the muscle you lose during this time? If this isn't the case...I've been under the wrong impression ...and...I'm going to literally kick my ass.

Well, you bring up several controversial topics in this post; thus, I shall attempt to address some of the more mainstream ones.

1)No, you will not burn-fat at a faster rate by living for the rest of your life in Ketosis, due to the fact of your T4-T3 conversion literally crashing through the ground.
2)Carb-Ups are more likely to expand muscle cells and increase the anabolic state of the body, in turn increasing nitrogen retension(think steroids)
3)Fat-loss in any type of Ketonic diet--if done right--will always outweight the muscle loss so to speak, yet the question is if the muscle you lose is worth the fat you lose. The answer is YES.

Mr.X EliteFitness Moderator

Ok, I'm starting to understand. However, could I keep my T4-T3 conversion rate up and going by taking something like "T2-Pro" by Biotest, or, is this simply not good enough. Secondly, I've been in ketosis now for 1 week and 3 days (I had planned on being in it for 7 more weeks...but you guys are starting to make me think twice). Should I try CKD again...and just do a shorter carb-up (i.e. 8-12 hours). Like I've said before...I ALWAYS mess up on carb-ups...for one reason or another. So, if I was going to go with the shortened carb-up approach...I would need everything laid out for me (exact mealtimes, and, what to eat at each meal). OR, should I go for the TKD approach. I don't really understand the TKD one too much. When do you ingest your preworkout carbs and how many grams of carbs would that be. Also, do I take in post-workout carbs on a TKD? ARGH...I just want to get ripped....DAMN! :bawling:

Thanks for the help.....

It is pointless to never take carbs, even on a ketogenic diet. Your body CANNOT use ketones for lifting!!! Therefore, you are losing muscle to make up for lack of glucose while lifting. As an added bonus, it also *sucks* to lift without carbs. You should simply replace some of your fat calories with pre-wo/post-wo/carb-up carbs and lose less muscle!

The way to stay in ketosis is to keep liver glycogen low. Giving your muscles some glycogen will not hinder this. It will only prevent muscle loss. Fat is not required to be in ketosis, so if you replace some fat calories with carb calories, you will lose just as much weight as long as you utilize the carbs before they get to your liver.

MASSIVEmorris said:
Ok, I'm starting to understand. However, could I keep my T4-T3 conversion rate up and going by taking something like "T2-Pro" by Biotest, or, is this simply not good enough. Secondly, I've been in ketosis now for 1 week and 3 days (I had planned on being in it for 7 more weeks...but you guys are starting to make me think twice). Should I try CKD again...and just do a shorter carb-up (i.e. 8-12 hours). Like I've said before...I ALWAYS mess up on carb-ups...for one reason or another. So, if I was going to go with the shortened carb-up approach...I would need everything laid out for me (exact mealtimes, and, what to eat at each meal). OR, should I go for the TKD approach. I don't really understand the TKD one too much. When do you ingest your preworkout carbs and how many grams of carbs would that be. Also, do I take in post-workout carbs on a TKD? ARGH...I just want to get ripped....DAMN! :bawling:

Thanks for the help.....
Try Mr. X's TKD. http://www.elitefitness.com/articledata/mrx/tkdmrx.html

Top Bottom