Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

While dieting..Reps to get cut, or go as heavy as you possible can? what do you say?

str8cubano

My theory has always been, you diet, loose the fat, and that in itself is what makes your muscles look shredded. Some believe that hitting crazy reps will make your muslces "rip" or look more toned. New theories have been to just keep going heavy even when your cutting because you want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible. What do you guys say?

i am in wk 3 of my cycle and new workout plan that i devised using muscle & fitness notepad, it has 4 sets total but it usually has the first 2 sets to failure with heavy weight and lighter on the last set but simply more reps, its a killer workout i end up pacing at my house post workout wanting to go back for more, but that may be due to the halo :verygood:

well I usually do some reps till failure, and maybe the theory is that more reps, faster heart rate, less rest inbetween sets, would obviously burn more fat by having your HR up more throughout the workout, thus it would be more like cardio. I usually kill tricepts since it is my week spot, and at the end hit a ridiculous amt of reps just so I feel that i did everyhting in my power to work them out. But do I belive that 30 reps will scientifically "RIP" the muscle? I don't know....

if you can train super intense while cutting then go for it.
the main problem for most is that energy levels arent to par.. so workouts suffer.

for my cutters, i train as usual.
but my diet and cardio are in check.

i really dont see any difference in bulking vs. cutting as far as workout routine goes.
then again, i'm no expert in this field.

i have had good results going heavy when cutting, occasionally i will throw in some high reps for a good pump but i dont think that higher reps will get you cut up, like satch said sometimes when cutting your intensity will suffer so going a little lighter with more reps makes some sense when i cut i make sure diet and cardio are right on and hit the weights as hard as i can to help preserve lbm and this seems to work for me i think the idea behind more reps is that your heart nrate would be elevated giving you a cardio effect i thinki that you would have to be worried about loosing lbm if you dont stimulate the muscles enough, at the same time i guess you could be more susceptable to overtraining when cutting so you would have to watch your trainig volume i also think everyone is different so you need to find what works for you through trial and error just my 2 cents

Last edited:
muscles on someone with 20% bf are just as "cut" as those of someone with 3%, only difference is with the first one there is bf covering the mucle. So all you need to do is lose the fat, and maintain you mass. To maintain mass, nothing will work better than what built it, so in my case thats training heavy. I trained heavy all the way up to my show, and came out pretty damn shredded, even more so then the guys who trained with high reps

Re: While dieting..Reps to get cut, or go as heavy as you possible can? what do you

needsize said:
muscles on someone with 20% bf are just as "cut" as those of someone with 3%, only difference is with the first one there is bf covering the mucle. So all you need to do is lose the fat, and maintain you mass. To maintain mass, nothing will work better than what built it, so in my case thats training heavy. I trained heavy all the way up to my show, and came out pretty damn shredded, even more so then the guys who trained with high reps

Cool so me and NS have the same "cuts" :p yeah right..anyway i agree and satch made some good points as well..

str8cubano said:
well I usually do some reps till failure, and maybe the theory is that more reps, faster heart rate, less rest inbetween sets, would obviously burn more fat by having your HR up more throughout the workout, thus it would be more like cardio. I usually kill tricepts since it is my week spot, and at the end hit a ridiculous amt of reps just so I feel that i did everyhting in my power to work them out. But do I belive that 30 reps will scientifically "RIP" the muscle? I don't know....

I think that this "cardio effect" from high reps would only be beneficial if you are doing legs. For most people there just isn't enough muscle mass anywhere else that would create this effect. IMO

But still, it comes down to body fat and how low you can go.
I train heavy 90% of the time.

yea...kinda what I felt. If you can , just always go as heavy as you can. Makes sense to me. I rep it up at the end usually in arms and other body parts, but I don't leave out the heavy sets in everything I do. If I decided to rep it up, so be it, but I don't leave the mass builder excersises either.

I think heavier more intsense training with shorter duration during cutting works better for me. If I am doing cardio in the AM and cutting calories, marathon sets and high volume are a sure fire way to overtraining and complete loss of motivation.

Top Bottom