Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

While dieting..Reps to get cut, or go as heavy as you possible can? what do you say?

No pissing match here. Im not going after Needsize. Im simply stating my opinion. If it came across as hostile im sorry. It just bugs me when someone(other than a medical proffesional) asks for advice then questions the persons advice as if they did not know what they are talking about. If they want it backed up by a study tehy should do their own research. Needsize, sorry if I came across as a dick. It wasnt directed at you specificlly.

I'm not looking for a pissing match either. I think the rules for maintaining mass change, depending on how big you are. For myself, I have added over 100lbs to my frame, and it was done through very heavy training. So for example, I built my quads squatting close to 500lbs for reps, but according to waterboy I could maintain that mass, while is a calorie deficit, squatting just a fraction of that, several times a week. I dont know what would work for others, but I can say beyond any shadow of a doubt, that there is no way I could maintain my mass that way
I have been a bodybuilder for close to 15 years, and have seriously studied training that entire time, so I do know what does and doesnt work for me. And I have found through well over a decade of trial and error that I need to train just as heavy when cutting, to maintain my mass.
But like I said, I think rules change for advanced bodybuilders. So I'm not trying to be dick either

No offense to Waterboy, but stating that your a PT doesn really mean all that much..the trainers at my gym have horrible physiques!! If we all agree that to build muscle you need to lift heavy weights and be in a calorie surplus..well if we change one of those variable to get cut (calories) why would you want to alter the training that built that muscle..wouldnt minor adjustments i.e little less sets but still training heavy allow you to hold on to what built the muscle in the first place?

I think that what happens is that when people cut for pics, competition, personal reasons, ect...they have one goal in mind...getting cut. Either way, when you cut, you loose volume. Nothing you can do about that. The volume and little bit of fat around your chest, arms, and lats, gives you a nice little volume...you just look huge. It would be nice to look like that, but emit the fat around the belly. Unfortunalty, that is impossible. So when you finally achieve that physique, wether you were lifitng heavy or not, you got shredded, and are happy. But bodybuilders after years of expereince, they know that they want to have as much muscle fullness as possible. It's tough to maintain that muscle 'MASS' by lifting light. Some feel that there are so many drugs in your system, that no matter what you do, you know you got back up and won't loose that much muscle. As for me personally, I have never gone light even when cutting. I do kill at the end with more reps sometimes to burn the shit out of my muscles on some days and make me feel like crying, but thats after my heavy lifting. But as I said, many get the look they want with light reps, and hey, if it aint broke, then don't fix it. But I do understand the "bodybuilding" aspect of preserving the size of the muscle. I guess to each his/her own.

waterboy44 said:
Im not going to go digging up reports to make you believe me. I know what I a talking about. Ive been a PT for almost three years. This method is effective for my clients 90-95% of the time(not everyones the same). Everyone says this method doesnt work for them but I useually find that its because MOST are not diciplined enough to try it for more than a week, and when they do they rep through as fast as they can instead keeping their muscle under stress for a long period of time. <----What do you think cardio is? Either way you can take my advice or leave it. If you want references to a study read a book.

Maybe affective for a middle aged women. Being a PT I asume you understand the consept of slow and fast twitch fibers? and being under your bmr and the adverse effects this has on the muscles if overstimulated?

All my personal experance along with everything Ive studied says Needsize is right. By the way not only do I co-own a gym but I have my certificate too.

BIGDHO said:
Maybe affective for a middle aged women. Being a PT I asume you understand the consept of slow and fast twitch fibers? and being under your bmr and the adverse effects this has on the muscles if overstimulated?

All my personal experance along with everything Ive studied says Needsize is right. By the way not only do I co-own a gym but I have my certificate too.
well, I can honestly say that every big "ripped" guy I have ever known have always adviced me to go heavy always, even when cutting, to do the best I can but to still go heavy. I always give respect to those who have been lifting for years, and I always appreciate their advice.

Well, I didn't read the whole thread, but my workout never changes, if I want to put on 40lbs or cut off 35lbs, workout never changes, always the same :) low reps/high weight :) and I get shredded and I get massive :)

BrickGirl said:
Well, I didn't read the whole thread, but my workout never changes, if I want to put on 40lbs or cut off 35lbs, workout never changes, always the same :) low reps/high weight :) and I get shredded and I get massive :)
Amen to that brickgirl ;)

Needsize: You are right to a point. 15 years of BB is a huge ammount but like I said.I would like to see most people give this a try for a whole cutting cycle. Not just a week or two. Adding 100lbs will change the body a tremendous amount but it doesnt change genetics and biology. Like I said in my previous post to it doesnt work for everyone.
Wnt2bbeast: Yes you are right. Saying Im a triner doesnt mean much. Maybe my credential will.
ACSM certified trainer
NASM certified trainer
ISSA ceritfied trainer
Will be finishing my BA in exercise science this summer and contineuing on for my masters at CU in the fall
I am also the head of exercise for special populations division at my campus fitness and athletics center.
Assistant strength and conditioning coach for our Basketball and Baseball team.
For all: Another thing to consider is that muscle growth is what? Adaptaion to a new stimulis(each stimuli affects everyone differently). Im not saying you will get nowhere lifting heavy or doing the same thing all the time. Im just providing a (useually) more efficient way of getting to your goals.
We could debate this for ever as the scientific community does and will continue to do. What we all know may be obsolete in 20 years. I am just stating knoledge I have gained and methods I have put to use over the years.

Top Bottom