Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Where Is The Missing Link On My Deadlifts?

Deadlift help

The article they mentioned will help you tremendously. One of the main points is that you need to keep your shoulder behind the barbell at the beginning, this will help you past your knees. Also, when you pull you should pull backwards, so much so that if you pull real light you should almost fall backwards. I envision lifting my toes off the ground and pushing through my heels. Another thing that helps is when setting up to deadlift don't stay down a long time just get a grip, get down, get into position and pull.
Also, doing dynamic deads after dyn. squats will help alot. Wave up from 50-70% over four weeks then start over again. Use chains draped over the bar. I usually do about 5-6 singles. Only do singles on this.
A max effort lift that might help is to use a weight that you can barely manage off the floor. Then get on a small step in the power rack and pull from above the knees. Then drop the pins one space. Keep going until the bar brushes the top of your feet.
And as for grip, farmers' walks are about the best. But a very close second is holds with a thick bar. I have a 3" bar. These are killers. If someone uses 250-300 on a three inch bar they have a huge grip.
I hope all my babbling helps. Good luck

PLJay--

In response to your post abv. You and I are built not identical but similiar. My best pulling position is not th ebest according to th textbook. I talked with dave tate about this the other day. My feet are about 1 ft or so aprt, my knees come out over the bar and my shoulders are over the bar, not behind it. If I set up with my shoulders behind the bar, I stall about at the knees. This is what screwed my dl up for the past year -- I was trying to setup the way most peopl should. It would be easier to tell you if I saw a video. AMOF, I have you on video from oen the meets we lifted at in Daytona -- I'll take a good look at it and let you know what I think. I do know that you need to move your hands in a little bit, and move your feet closer together.

Hey Jay I know you don't do any speed work but did you ever think of throwing in dynamic deadlifts these helped my deadlift go up 65lbs in 6 weeks. 8X1 60,63,66,70% with a 4 week difference. Just do them to see how fast you are. I'm guessing this might help you some, I'm not really sure if it'll hurt your shoulder. But it's a choice.

Big okie thanks thats alot of info. I need to experiment with lighter weight to see if it will work fo rme.

1 dawg I do pull alittle different now then back then. I have got my ass down a little more, And i am closer on feet spacing and hands. But i do know as low as i think my ass is getting when that bar comes off the floor i am dam near in a straight legged position.

Over all the pulling,back and up is somthing i am awhere of but do not do. As I sit here and think about it , it seems scary to do.
But one thing besides pro help is i do need some deadlifting time under my belt. I read that article and seems logical, but practice will be the only way for me. Its like reading his benching articles. I do what he says really without reading them cause it comes naturally, i am not a deadlifter. And last year dcided i probably wouldnt three lift again now here i am getting ready for one. Only reason is i feel my squats are better then my bench and would like to regester it in a meet. So th edeadlift is top priority. And the speed sets seem like they would help me more with form. Right? I dont wanna pull heavy from the floor righ tnow. I have weaknesses that need attention first. When do i do speed deadlifts? How many sets reps i have no chains just bands. Can they be used? Thanks guys.

HOLY SHIT JAY you mean I'm actually gonna get to help you out on something. OK normally speed deads are done on dynamic squat day right after the squat normally after low box squatting then I personally will do 8X1 60% first week 63% second week 66% third week 70% fourth week then after the fourth week go back to 60% and you'll see your speed should have gotten faster like I posted with the percentages. This will help your form and your explosin try to do them and keep it from the time you go up to when you come down with it under 2.5 seconds. Your working on your speed but at the same time you don't want a shitty form. About the bands and chains I'm sure you can use them, but honestly I can't help you much with these b/c I only used a band once when i went down to lift with bob. One thing that I do which you probably don't is that every 6 weeks I go for a max so my %'s change every 6 weeks. Good luck man let me know if I can help in other ways. I'ma try and find the link to speed deads and improving them and post it on here for ya.

You Little terd! You have learned aton already. Thank you. It sounds like someting i need to try. I forgot last week we did a couple sets of cleans. Do you think (cause you do them) this will help with speed? Let me Know.

YOUR WELCOME BEAST. I'm sure that speed deads will help now for cleans that is a full body explosion from what i've learned. Wait you did cleans outta curiousity how much did you clean or what did you work with. I hate doing cleans but it's because i'm not good at them once i get good i'm sure i'll like them that's how I am. I'm pretty sure that cleaning will help you if you get stuck at the first pull on your deadlift and it will help you for speed, BUT here's the thing that I learned I can't do You cant do both speed cleans or cleans period and dynamic deads on the same day too much of the same movement. So if you still want to do cleans you can do them for a ME movement or extra on ME day but if you want to strictly help out your deads then just stick with ME dead and dynamic deads after dynamic squats.

I sound like endpoint now, no offense brother

Here you go Jay I found this one and it talks about Tate deadlifting by singles for speed and what he found he was doing wrong with form, etc.

http://www.testosterone.net/articles/194dead2.html

Hope those helped and if you need more i've started my own lil web library with shortcuts to sites. I really do sound like endpoint and that's not a bad thing. I just love to help when I know I can.

Jay -- I don't use chains at all for pulling but I do use bands occaisioanlly. I take a green or blue band and loop it thru my belt, then I stand on each end and pull. This does 2 things -- it teaches you to pull yoru hips t hru at the top and it makes you get in the correct starting position. Speed pulls are done right after your squats. I don't pull hevay in the gym, except for bout 6 weeks or so before a meet. I like to take one or 2 heavier singles -- nothing near a pr but somewhere in the 90 percent range of my opener.

Top Bottom