Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

when squatting...

tlhc

my sticking point at the squat is the bottom, so when i squat and i go really heavy i noticed that i move my knees inwards a bit, towards each other (i can't describe it very well) at the bottom of the lift to overcome my sticking point,

i've also noticed this when watching some olympic lifters doing clean and jerks on tv, at the bottom of the lift they quickly move their knees a bit towards each other, then press them outwards again,

i wonder why this is? i'm sure it's neither healthy for my knees nor good for improving my lift,
but i would like to know why exactly this happens?

thanks in advance

You need to strengthen you glutes, hamstrings, and hip flexors. Do this and you will not have that problem. Olympc lifting is very much different. The weight is out in front of them so I owuld have to imagine that would make a difference.

Squats and knees

Concentrate on forcing those knees out. It will keep you in better position to lift the weight and let the stronger muscles focus on moving the weight.

I have to concentrate too, so it is a common problem/weakness.

1 - dawg is right....

You know those machines that you would see women only working on.....the ones that appear to make them spread eagle? Well using those machines from time to time might not be a bad idea.

Grainger said:
You know those machines that you would see women only working on.....the ones that appear to make them spread eagle? Well using those machines from time to time might not be a bad idea.

Except with those machines the gluts, hips and knees are all on the same level. For it to be effective your gluts and hips should be below your knees. That is why puttin a band around your knees while on a low box is one of the best things to bring up weak hips.

1-dawg made a good point. Bringing your knees in is a very common sign that you are week in your glute-ham and hip flexor chain of muscles...and potentially your core. My suggestion is to squat more, using sub-maximal weights. Also, try implementing box squats into your routine. Start with a high box and gradually work to a low box. Using a bench (if you can get one low enough) would also be a good idea because it would prevent you from turning your knees in. Another point to consider would be your stance and foot position. Some lifters (depending on your size and weight) prefer to point the toes straight foreward while squatting. The more outward your toe point, the less power you will have at the bottom of the squat. The main reason that some lifters point their toes outward is because they lack flexibility and have trouble getting down. Be VERY cautious with this however. Using a straight foreward stance or a pidgeon toe stance puts alot of pressure on your lateral meniscus (knee cartilage). My advice would be to play around with your stance and toe position a bit but be very careful. Hope this helps. Good luck

Hannibal's suggestion about the band is a great idea. It think the greatest excercise for glute ham strength is reverse-hyper work....but doing hyper extended front raises are also fantastic for stability.

ultra-wide sumo squats are great too.

thanks hannibal

X

Top Bottom