Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

When lifting for bulk, do I do my entire upper body in a day or only a part?

Altec Lansing

I've been waiting on someone to create a plan for me, but I really cannot wait any longer since my remaining free time is starting to get short.

My questions are:

When lifting for bulk, should I do my entire upper body every day for 5 days then rest 2. Or should I do a specific body part each day (day 1: arms, day 2: shoulders, day 3: back: day 4: chest). I can also do abs every other day or whatever, I don't want to dedicate an entire day to just abs. Right now they are NOT that important to me.

Currently this is my day:
walk 4 miles right after I get up (do not eat before I walk)
lift sometime in the day (right now I am only able to lift every other day, but I hope to eventually be able to do it 5 days straight)
walk 4 miles in the evening

When I lift I do the following: 5 sets containing 8,8,6,6,4 reps with as much weight as I can handle on the bowflex. I am currently doing my entire upper body (not really caring about abs as much or my legs since those can come later).

Right now I am doing 31 different types of excerises when I lift and it generally takes me about 2 hours to complete.

follow up to this:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329237

Last edited:
I would leave the walking to 3 days maximum in the morning only when trying to bulk. The current Split I am using is as follows...

Monday: Chest, Abs
Tuesday: Back, Tris, Obliques
Wednesday: Cardio
Thursday: Shoulders, Biceps, Abs
Friday: Legs, Calves, Obliques
Saturday: Cardio
Sunday: Rest

Welcome to the boards brother! To start Id ditch the walking, and at most maybe do cardio at 15 mins a session 3X a week. Id also reccomend freeweights over the bowflex. Id reccomend experimenting with different splits to see what feels best for YOUR recovery time. Everyone's is different based on many factors. Just make sure to get all the muscles in atleast once per week and arrange the split in such a way that soreness doesnt interfere with your training. For example, you wouldnt want to hit triceps the day before chest, since pressing movements rely heavily on the triceps. The same with biceps and back. Pulling movements for the upper back use the biceps.
You can add the smaller body parts like abs,traps,rear delts,forearms and even lower back wherever youd like in the routine. I train abs 4X a week for strength personally.
Also Id reccomend 12 sets for smaller bodyparts and 15 sets for back and legs. 12-15 reps seems like a good rep range to start with. It worked very well for me. Experiment and see how your body responds, be patient, and eat ALOT. Focus on getting your bodyweight in grams of protein as a minimum requirement and keep the calories above what your burning. Cardio can interfere greatly with the bulking process, so I wouldnt advice too much of it. Hope that helps

Top Bottom