Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

when to increase weight

i learned that its not how many times u do it, its how u do it. if u do it shitty form then don't even waste ur time by addin more weights. do what u can with good form n with weights that ur body feels confortable with.
time will actually tell when to increase the weight on ur bench press.

I'm not 100% sure on the question...
-"how many times do you have to bench press"

Do you mean how many repetitions per set? That varies based on your goals. If you're trying to build muscle size it's generally recommened between 8-15 times. Less times is generally geared more towards strength and more is generally more for endurance.

Personally I like to make small increases of 5-10 lbs depending on the exercise, and focus on steady progress which will add up in time.

Assuming your form is fine i increase my weights every workout..they do not need to go up 20 lbs every workout!! Im talking maybe anywhere from 5-10 lbs..granted you will hit roadblocks along the way but you can seriously increase your lifts that way..im liking 5x5 more and more ;)

Once you can do a weight for AT LEAST 5 REPS, then you can move the weight up. If you cant do 5 reps, then you arent ready to move up.

cwick0 said:
Once you can do a weight for AT LEAST 5 REPS, then you can move the weight up. If you cant do 5 reps, then you arent ready to move up.

I like wick's guideline there...I didn't move up to 315 til I could do 275 for 10...

ChinkNasty said:
I like wick's guideline there...I didn't move up to 315 til I could do 275 for 10...

SMART MOVE. I suspect you knew that if you could do 275 for 10 that your shoulders were ready for the extra that 315 would bring.

GOOD JOB

cwick0 said:
SMART MOVE. I suspect you knew that if you could do 275 for 10 that your shoulders were ready for the extra that 315 would bring.

GOOD JOB

yea I've found my shoulders have the hardest time adjusting to the weight increase more than anything else...espeically the front delt

peace,
CN

To summarize:

When you can complete all the excersise's set's repetitions with GOOD form, you should add a modest amount of weight. Then repeat.

Top Bottom